AI / Live Traffic only visible short range

Doesn’t seem to be fixed unfortunately

This is really sad because it ruins immersion when immersion is very important in MSFS

Not only on ai but also on multiplayer aircrafts. Terrible drawdistance.

I did an experiment here, where traffic in the pattern is not visible:

Using the map in the video I was able to calculate the actual range: using the runway length (Corning Muni - 0O4) as a measure, the track distance between aircraft is ~4320 ft, the elevation difference between aircraft is ~724 ft as indicated by altitudes on the map, so the distance between me and the other aircraft is ~4380 ft or 1335m, 1.3 km.

If we can’t see other traffic in the pattern, that seems too short, even though it is difficult to spot traffic in real life.

I was at the SimVenture Oshkosh event on PilotEdge yesterday and couldn’t see any of the aircraft past that distance. After I landed I wanted to watch the warbird arrivals and other planes in the pattern, but it was pretty much unwatchable. There were also a lot of near misses because people not using TCAS alerts or the map couldn’t see other traffic until they were right on top of them.

I can second this for SU10, about 20 NM out vatsim traffic (which should basically be AI traffic for the sim) is not rendered with a hard cut, the planes just disappear. Most noticable during night time, when the lights just go out (besides the lights being to bright in the first place)

are there any workarounds to make traffic visible again in flight (maybe through mods)? i am only using MSFS for a few hours now and i quickly bumped into this. seems like a huge bug to me so i’m suprised this issue is still open after so long. is it only affecting some users?

MSFS is quite gorgeous

It has amazing performance, looks beautiful, physics are quite good and so and so on.

But for plane spotting and following other aircraft or seeing other aircraft on approach it’s a disaster.
GA planes disappear before they even reached end of the runway and even gigantic airliners, which you can easily see against the sky in real life for 10 15 miles disappear in a half a mile.
It’s really really sad and disappointing.
I wonder if somebody could write some correction or a mod.
There is a simulator “Rise of flight” that in a distance you can activate the dots that represents where other aircraft are…
Even just 3X the distance that it is now will almost make it OK.
If it is for performance improvements, look somewhere else, this is aviation simulator not look how pretty the world is simulator I thought, but I’m probably wrong.
I have to tell you friends, experience in FSX was far superior than what I’m getting in MSFS if it comes to other AI traffic.

2 Likes