Hello, and thanks for another Q&A.
I’d like to see an update on the work being done on live AI traffic, especially on the following points.
- Representing all traffic in FlightAware in the simulator. I seem to have seen a bit of an uptick (anecdotally) in the past month or so, but many, many flights are still missing and never appear in the sim.
- Implementing real aircraft models and liveries visually and in ATC as promised a few months ago instead of the generics, which frankly are pretty immersion-breaking.
- Handing off flights from live control to the AI when something unexpected happens, for instance, go-arounds. At the moment, when a go-around happens for the AI, it never tries to land anymore, and circles over the airport unrealistically until it disappears.
- Approach behavior: There are many airports in which AI approaches too high and simply misses the approach (triggering the behavior mentioned above), or too low, crashing into terrain and disappearing.
- Behavior on the ground: the AI will brake WAY too hard on landing and slow down way too quickly to the 20 knots taxiing speed on the runway, then leisurely taxiing to a taxiway sloooooooowly, often skipping one or more usable taxiways in the way. This results in runway vacation not happening timely and many more go-arounds for following aircraft than warranted. Realistic behavior would be much more gradual slowdown until reaching the taxiway and vacating, resulting in quicker runway vacation. On top of that, ATC control is way, way too conservative in handling different aircraft. Aircraft often won’t be allowed to enter a taxiway if there is another at the other end, which is not realistic. ATC should maintain proper separation for AI, but also use taxiways efficiently. The same goes for runways, which are also used too conservative. Working on this will make ground traffic more efficient and minimize AI and player go-arounds at busy airports.
- Making parked aircraft actually match reality closely instead of being completely random. I guess the easiest way would simply be polling FlightAware for the X flights that have landed at the airport before the simulated time and spawn those at the gates (X being the number of flights needed to spawn according to the ground traffic settings). This may not be very visible now with the generics, but it certainly will be visible with add-ons that replace AI traffic with realistic models and liveries. Seeing Easyjets in Tokyo is… not ideal
- AI Aircraft reach rotating speed way too quickly, using only a minimal part of the runway.
- Work with modders that are already on it and providing the SDK tools to help. More examples on what some of them need can be found here. They can explain it a lot better than I can
Happy to hear more points if anyone has any. I’m sure there’s plenty I have forgotten to mention