AI Traffic - the unbeloved child of MS and Asobo

Just wanted to post to agree with you and put pressure on Asobo to work on this NOW!

7 Likes

The typical “VATSIM” answer is nonsense.

I play the game for the IFR aspect flying commercial airliners from hub to hub. The immersion comes from seeing a variety of planes of different liveries with different destinations.

AIG offers exactly that. It could bring the traffic how it would be. But the sim doenst let it.

Dont make any VATSIM discussion out of this. Its no alternative for people who simply dont want to use it and it should be no excuse for the inop malfunctioning sim.

Why i lose joy?

All the sceneries i have bought look so ■■■■ empty…its not working as it should…for years now. The solutions are there. The bugs are named.

But they lack capacity… there is no transparent timeframe, nor any communication of any solution they want to bring up.

But we have gliders! and atmospheric visuliazation!

27 Likes

Vatsim is not an option for me too as there is no coverage for my country unless there is a special event i which happens around like once a year

12 Likes

Xbox user weighing in here:

Multiplayer: is not an option unless I’m flying somewhere remote with my brother. During my last helo flight around NYC, I saw multiple Spruce Gooses buzzing skyscrapers, airliners moving like F16’s in a dogfight, and recreations of a certain act I’m not going to name: all within the span of a couple minutes. It’s incredibly silly and immersion breaking but people are free to fly how they please. I just won’t be in the skies with them.

Live Traffic: most unstable and most likely to cause CTD in my experience. Airports and the skies still seem very empty. I don’t really care if the traffic in the sim is live or not, I just want to see traffic.

AI Traffic: my preferred (only real remaining) option and I couldn’t agree more with OP that it needs massive improvements. So much of the forum is fixated on the weather…which imo is FINE. It’s never going to be perfect and there’s always going to be someone unhappy. Asobo should divert some of that attention to ATC and improving AI traffic behavior.

6 Likes

Well, it’s a bit subjective to call AI traffic a “core mechanic”. I certainly don’t see it as such. Sure, it’s utterly broken, I agree, and as such I have it turned off. But this doesn’t bother me at all. In fact, I’d likely still have it turned off even if it (and ATC) worked perfectly. Why? Because the ONLY meaningful impact AI (or Live) traffic has on your gameplay is in forcing you to wait for it to get out of the way. As I have limited time to fly at all, I don’t want to waste it waiting on AI (or Live) planes.

2 Likes

Many of us also don’t have the time or profession to do Vatsim flights. Therefore offline IFR flights should have more priority now for fixing ai traffic issues!

5 Likes

I don’t know about you guys, but I find live AI traffic, while not perfect, has improved rather considerably. I jumped on the FSLTL bandwagon when it was released, however after joining the SU 11 beta, there was no incoming traffic. Which is still the case. So I took advantage of FSLTL’s models along with AIG models and used MSFS’s in game flightaware. Googling incoming and outgoing flights, I have noticed greatly improved accuracy with their real life counterparts, being off by sometimes less than a minute. That is really good IMO. Also, no more dancing/spinning aircraft, runway vacating has improved, aircraft no longer stop within 100 feet, and now have a healthy rollout, aircraft take off faster and taxi faster.

Sure, there are some glitches that remain, but for the most part the airports that I frequent, are bustling with life, many take offs and landings, albeit some go arounds, some aircraft getting stuck during taxiing, but not nearly terrible as it was way back. At least this is what I have observed.

Airports I fly out of:
LGAV EDDF EDDM EHAM LFPG EGLL EGKK LIRF KLGA KJFK KMIA CYYZ CYYC CYUL KDTW KLAX KSEA CYVR… Just to name a few…

Now the OP mentioning Hong Kong, I hope you don’t mean VHHX Kai Tak- One surely cannot expect Live AI traffic into and out of Kai Tak. It’s a defunct airport. If MSFS is using FlightAware to inject live traffic into the sim, it stands to reason that there will be none at the aforementioned location. That could be why the OP is seeing aircraft spawning in and out, as they cannot be handed over to flightaware data. I’m not sure about offline AI traffic- I never use it.

Also, PSA if you have the payware version of kai tak, MSFS has also added it’s version post SU11 from what I understand. If you unknowingly have both versions installed, this may be causing problems with traffic as well as CTD’s.

2 Likes

My friend, it was just an example for a little thing to fix. Not a prioritiy list. :slightly_smiling_face:

no. the new one of course. VHHH. Chap La Kek or smth.

FSTL found the bug that arriving traffic within 40nm of destination airport wont approach but will directly spawn as parked there.

FSTL worked nice with SU10. not anymore now. AIG also has its issues.

Is anyone seeing way too much traffic with real-time online traffic enabled in SU11?

Last night I finally went through a methodical and detailed cold and dark setup in the A310. Yes, the plane itself has performance issues due to the WASM bug we all hope they are hotfixing soon, but while I was setting up the plane at KORD, the entire airport filled up with ground traffic and my marginal 28 FPS from the start tanked all the way to 14 FPS due to the massive amount of traffic. Once I took off and got away from O’Hare and the traffic de-spawned from the airport (monitored it using Little Nav Map), I got closer to 40 FPS.

One problem with this sort of reasoning is that just because this is important to you, then that’s the case for everyone. If we look beyond what you find most important, then there is a huge list of stuff that needs time and prioritization. Ask 1000 simmers what they think is most important and you will find a lot of different answers.

Improved AI traffic and ATC are nice to have, but the sim also works without those improvements. With that said, they have stated that these areas will be improved (and they already started with it).

Historically these areas are difficult to get right for reasons, just look at all flight sins out there and they kind of suffer with the same kind of problems.

With the core things in place, they can focus on improving these sort of things over the coming years :slight_smile:

3 Likes

they have been ignoring ai traffic and atc logic for 2 years when has been one of the most requested topics there was in all ask to devs questions about AI traffic and they always the same answer they wanna do it in future but without explaining any plan, I m not sure if at some point ai traffic will reach any decent level looking how unstable and terrible is this sim engine when on every release theres new bugs that broke things that are not related to the changes of the update. kind of EA Sports Vibes always engine limits

4 Likes

I mean, not that I have to explain that to you Kai, but there WAS already a AI system that basically worked, the one in FSX. Not perfect, for sure, but I still wonder why they not simply ported this one over and then started to improve it.

For me, the AI traffic is just another example how much we can trust in statements like “we do not want to have a half-baked solution” in the sim, mentioned in response to the question about seasons. Goosh, the list of half-baked solutions is in fact quiet big instead, snow coverage, water physics interaction, cloud variety, weather “radar” and so on to just name a few.

To me, Asobo would do all a favour if they now step one step back from releasing new airplanes, sceneries and half-baked features continously and get the core sim right. And yes, AI traffic system belongs to the core sim imho.

But instead, they waste ressources for some planes nobody flies anyway, like the Spruce Goose (I am aware that not the same employees are working on planes as on AI traffic, but still…).

It is really a disappointment seing no progress at all in certain core sim aspects while other aspects are pushed forward and forward and forward.

14 Likes

I can only agree with you

1 Like

To be honest the only 40th anniversary content I really like are the gliders. That’s it for me. I don’t know who asked for historical aircraft, it wasn’t me for sure. I can’t understand how Asobo ignores ai traffic for so long and so consequent while the most voted topics say “We want a realistic and proper working ai traffc system”

11 Likes

I thought they were using the FSX AI traffic?!

They are certainly doing great things and it’s ground-breaking in so many areas apart from the most basic stuff.

1 Like

I’d say there is really no point complaining about MS introducing new features whilst there are still improvements to be made in the core sim. As often pointed out it’s different teams working on those two subjects, but MS/Asobo have to keep producing new stuff to attract more people to buy the sim in the first place. With no new customers there will be no more money to pay for improvements.
AI traffic works, albeit not particularly well and most players just get on with it, even if it’s not particularly true to life. MS/Asobo are aware of the core simmer feelings, they just have to prioritise where money is spent.
I would not be surprised to see third-party developers co-opted in to help sort it out.

2 Likes

they started with it, but sadly went the wrong way while adding live traffic…

Maybe they should remove live traffic in favor of working offline traffic, if that makes things easier…

2 Likes

I am sure this will not happen since it was/is one of the marketing aspects (special features)