Aircrafts - Plural is Aircraft

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
yeah
Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
no
Brief description of the issue:
“aircrafts”
Aircraft Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster
plural aircraft

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
SU7

This seems to be all over the text in the sim. The plural for “aircraft” is “aircraft” not “aircrafts”. One aircraft, lots of aircraft, all of those aircraft are pretty, etc. I guess there might be an English as second language thing happening, but surely the developers could get some fluent speakers to proof read?

5 Likes

I have seen some sheeps in the fields.
If the plural of cow is cows, why not sheep = sheeps ?
Why not plural of aircraft = aircrafts ?

1 Like

Simple Answer:
Because this is how the ENGLISH language is “Currently” spoken and written.

2 Likes

this means they would have to proof read the SDK also
GOD FORBID ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is it. Where?

I can understand that some dialects may use “aircrafts” but it is definitely non standard. I can’t find any dictionary sources that describe it as the plural form of aircraft. Even allowing for it to be in use in some populations, I would still expect a flight simulator to use correct formal language where practical. The intro to MSFS doesn’t say “Hey wassup y’all!” even though some people do speak like that.

Because it isn’t used that way. It may be used that way in the future and the increasing use of “aircrafts” may be a sign that it is changing ,but a software company shouldn’t be using dialect in its formal descriptions. I assume whoever wrote it doesn’t know, it’s a genuine error, that’s cool, it just looks unprofessional and it’d be nice if they changed it (after they fix the rest of the sim :wink: ).

English is actually my third language… And I find English is full of inconsitencies. I would think that there should be an English language council somewhere that governs the proper use and promote a standardisation process of the English language. Like: All plural words have to end with “s”, and applies to everything. That’s standardisation. Saying one word can be used with “s” while others are not while referring to the same thing is not only confusing for people who wants to learn the English language, but it’s also make it difficult for everyone else too.

In my native language of Bahasa Indonesia, we have a council that keeps track of all the words in the vocabulary and the structure on how the language is used. So any new terms that are came into existence will be brought upon the assembly and impose the proper use of the new term. And any changes to the structure are also brought upon the assembly.

The national dictionary is regularly updated every half a decade and any new and changes to the vocabulary would be updated with it. That way everyone can speak with the same standardised structure.

PEDESTRAL lights is another one I spotted. The aircrafts one is classic non native English. I have heard and seen it many times before. I can see why the same plural rule would be used by anyone who was not fluent. Instruction manual translations are notoriously bad but a company the size of Microsoft who have 1000’s of native English speakers should be doing better. Another example of poor QA. Not a biggy though.

1 Like

Exactly – Devs make mistakes – Its up to QA to catch those mistakes.

They would have to RecIEve a copy first, and make sure it did not contain any reference to Cow Flaps. Then maybe we would RecEIve an accurate SDK. :shushing_face:

2 Likes

Because of all the inconsistencies, English is a very difficult language to learn. There are too many differences between English speaking countries to establish any standardization. There are differences within countries. In addition, the Internet is changing English with the increasing use of phonetic spelling (fone vs. phone) and shorthand abbreviations lol FWIW.

MSFS and MSFS ATC tries to flatten language probably using computer translation as needed. IMHO many of the spelling errors are due to incorrect computer translations.

Oh deer, oh deer…

1 Like

This is what I herd. I don’t know weather it is because one cannot choose whitch spelling is correct.

Here are a few moor

absense (absence)
adress (address)
advise, the verb, is often switched with advice, the noun.
alot (a lot)
aquit (acquit)
arguement (argument)
artic (arctic)
begining (beginning)
beleive (believe)
broccolli (broccoli)
borough and bureau are confused
calender (calendar)
comraderie (camaraderie)
cieling (ceiling)
cemetary (cemetery)
changable (changeable)
collegue (colleague)
consciencious (conscientious)
concious (conscious)
daquiri (daiquiri)
decieve (deceive)
definately (definitely)
desparate (desperate)
disasterous (disastrous)
dumbell (dumbbell)
embarass (embarrass)
enviroment (environment)
existance (existence)
experiance (experience)
facinating (fascinating)
Febuary (February)
firey (fiery)
flourescent (fluorescent)
foriegn (foreign)
goverment (government)
gratefull or greatful (grateful)
guarantee
harrass (harass)
hieght (height)
hipocrite (hypocrite)
humerous (humorous)
innoculate (inoculate)
independant (independent)
jewelry (jewelery)
judgement is less proper than "judgment"

(kernal) kernel
liesure (leisure)
liason (liaison)
libary (library)
lisense (license)
maintainance (maintenance)
medevil or mideval (medieval)
millenium (millennium)
miniture (miniature)
miniscule (minuscule)
mischievious (mischievous)
mispell (misspell)
momento (memento--momento is Spanish for "moment")
misterious (mysterious)
neccessary (necessary)
nieghbor (neighbor)
noticable (noticeable)
occassion (occasion)
occurence (occurrence)
oddyssey (odyssey)
peice (piece)
playwrite (playwright)
preceed (precede)
presance (presence)
privelege (privilege)
prophecy is a noun, while prophesy is a verb.
pumkin (pumpkin)
rasberry (raspberry)
recieve (receive)
rtyhm (rhythm)
sacriligious (sacrilegious)
sience (science)
sissors (scissors)
seperate (separate)
sinserely (sincerely)
supercede (supersede)
thorough and through are often mixed up
truely (truly)
untill (until, or till)
Wensday (Wednesday)
wether (whether)
wich (which, or witch)
wierd (weird)
you're is often used in place of your
2 Likes

The correct plural of “Aircraft” in English is “Aircraft” not “Aircrafts”

Meanwhile at Reno.

When are all the aircraft arriving?
When are all the aircrafts arriving?

:wink:

To simplify it, the word aircraft is a collective noun. Like “people”.
Try saying peoples in a sentence and not sound like a Meerkat selling insurance.

2 Likes

Apparently, cows are not an approved topic.

But to extract the on-topic part:
Issues like this one show the importance of using native speakers when producing external facing documentation and marketing material in any language. Merely being fluent in a language is not sufficient to speak or write it at sufficient level for external communications.

1 Like

Actually, working for the big European aircraft manufacturer… I see a lot of people writing aircrafts in documentations :wink:

1 Like