Airport/Facility Directory (A/FD) Maps At Airports

I would love to be able to toggle an A/FD map while at unfamiliar airports to be able to find my way around without using that godawful taxi ribbon.

I have the A/FD for the Northwest U.S., but of course it’s completely useless everywhere else in the world. Also, it’s a PITA to flip through the book while simming. Would be so much nicer to be able to bring up an airport map in game.

Navigraph is your friend.

Not at $10/month, it ain’t.

2 Likes

Is that too much to ask? For approach plates, SID/STAR info, terminal info? A lot of work goes into that, hence the monthly fee which you can’t evade if you want to navigate your taxiways :slight_smile:

I also take it that you have no interest in using a network service like Vatsim or PilotEdge?

I think that currently, many airports have taxiway IDs that are auto generated. If they agree with the real world (and real nav data) it is a coincidence.

2 Likes

Hey,

I find it quite difficult to navigate through some of the larger Airports. A Minimap with the taxiways of the current Airport would be cool. Especially when you get Taxi-Instructions by the ATC and you there are no Taxiway signs.

4 Likes

turn on the taxiway ribbon? :wink:

It lacks immersion then.

This is already available in the map screen (press V to display it). Once the map is up use your mouse wheel to zoom in on your location. Zoom in far enough and the airport details appear. Also available in the centre display of aircraft like the TMB, Caravan or any aircraft with those types of instruments. The difference is you need to zoom in with a knob on the panel.

2 Likes

Have a seperate screen or device (I use an iPad with tabs open for skyvector and I’ll use the airnav website for USA airport maps. Foreflight also works. Use the tools and setup like the real World

1 Like

Yes, I whish that aswell. Skyvector doesn’t has groundmaps for the airports I’m flying. I looked for an alternative without success and with the taxiway ribbon it’s very unrealistc

Are you flying in the USA? Use Airnav.com, they have the full airport diagram for most public use airports

I use my iPad with Foreflight.

But, have discovered some airport taxiways do not match AF/D.

KMYF so far.

Adding most of the airports in SoCal have this taxiway issue.
Autogenerate will not work for simming a real flight.

Taxiway names seem to be autogenerated, so you can’t use real-world airport diagrams to follow taxi instructions.

2 Likes

Germany…

We can already see an overview of the airport on the VFR mini-map if you zoom way in, at least you can for larger airports. The data is clearly already in the sim. If we could just zoom in a couple more notches that would be very helpful.

In the mean-time… once they patch SimConnect later this week, we can start using Little Navmap again.

For those not familiar, Little Navmap is a flight planer specifically designed to work with flight sims. I’ve been using it for years in X-Plane. It works with a bunch of different sims including MSFS. You can follow your flight’s progress using its moving map, see the current location of your aircraft plus a ton of other information. And you can zoom the map right in & see a detailed overview of any airport including taxiways, gates, parking spots etc.

https://albar965.github.io/

Kind of blows using this as a ‘simulator’ then.

I hope they do not make this into a console flight game.

Foreflight on my iPhone and iPad.

I am not telling you to go buy one and then a yearly subscription,

But, it is how I got rid of flipping pages in the little green book while in the cockpit.

If u have Flow Pro and Little Navmap installed you can use the Flow Pro Widget: Little NavMap from Flightsim.to.
Since it reads the airport data from the sim (if you keep your Little Navmap library up to date) you always have in sim taxiway labels shown.