Airport ILS Frequencies

There’s nothing more frustrating when you’re flying in VR and wanting to use an ILS approach than having to take off your headset and use Google to look up the ILS approach frequency of the runway.

It would be a quick and easy fix for the air traffic controller to advise the frequency when giving landing instructions. Alternatively it could be included in the ATIS data.

Come on Microsoft!

Personal comments:

This might be addressed depending on how Asobo intends to deliver NavBlue’s Charts+ integration. It could also slowly be delivered as seen in the WT CJ4 Mod which features Navigraph Charts integration today.

At the moment, it’s not realistic to request the frequency from Tower; if you are declared IFR, then you are expected to have the necessary approach plates in cockpit, whether in paper or digital form. You could theoretically request them to confirm an ILS Frequency but not to provide in lieu of your own charts. ATIS is expected to provide Non-Control operating and current WX conditions at the field. Imagine how long that ATIS outbound message would be for a field with four runways and eight approaches, and if each of those had an ILS, and you’d have to sit through it all to receive the alpha time code.

6 Likes

The thing is that when yu’re in VR you have to take the headset off to look up that information which is a pain. Let’s face it, FS2020 already includes navigational aids such as taxiing guides and approach paths, so ILS frequencies wouldn’t be too big a leap. you could switch them off iff you don’t want them.

1 Like

Can’t you ALT+Tab to your browser while In VR mode?
One way is to have the ILS ready before your flight even begin, so you can just ALT+Tab into the browser in your VR and look it up without doing anymore searching.

Otherwise you can just memorise them.

1 Like

I would just like the ILS Runways to actually appear (they do not in G3000 often) but also LOAD when we do Select them as they should. That is all. Other things must be added in EFB obviously like PLATES for APPROACH; RUNWAYS & GATES/PARKING + PUSHBACK in all same as FBW. The CRJ’s is a joke! All Jets & Airliners should have one.

Its not theCRJ that is a joke. MSFS doesnt allow this feature on WASM. The CRJ had that feature in P3D already but its just not possible in MSFS right now.

A320 and other planes use JS/HTML. But WASM is way better for performance, every serious 3rd party airliner will use WASM in the future. ASOBO needs to work on that.

Here you can learn more about the limits of MSFS directly from Hans Hartmann, the CRJ developer:

1 Like

I just tried this out in VR…works great ! I save the STAR/APPROACH plates as pdf’s ( I have Navigraph subscription) and then view them as jpegs no problem in VR using this handy tool:

eBag (Electronic Flight Bag) also works in VR » Microsoft Flight Simulator

Come on microsoft indeed! This function was present in FSX in the vfr map 14 years ago!

Same here, tried the eBag yesterday and it works great. The only downside I see is having to save the chart PDFs to a folder and run a batch file, but that doesn’t take very long to do. Having a Navigraph subscription would allow viewing geo-referenced charts in the aircraft displays, which is better (and has the ILS frequency in the upper left corner), the ability to have the flight plan PDF in a VR panel is really nice.

I do agree that, if you don’t care about a chart and all you want is the ILS frequency, then having it display when you select the arrival procedure would be ideal. The proc is already linked to the waypoints, altitude, and missed approach data, so how much effort would it be to include the localizer frequency?

EDIT: Come to think of it, in the Working Title CJ4 mod I fly, when I select an approach, sometimes the ILS frequency is automatically put into the primary navigation radio. Maybe this works 70% of the time, but it is so unreliable that I don’t pay it any attention anymore. I always manually get the ILS frequency and enter it. If it’s already in there, great!

So that tells me the ILS frequency is already there with the approach data, and all that is needed is an implementation to get it into the radio.

In MSFS only TWR, GND & ATI freq. appear