Airport Objects loading too late causes stutters right on touchdown

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes, every airport with or without mods

Brief description of the issue:

Right on touchdown I get a stutter or two lasting 2-3 seconds

ICAO or coordinates

All airports, stuttering is worse at larger airports

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Flights anywhere with a flight plan lasting more than a 100nm, flights in the same area do not produce stutters on touchdown

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz Overclocked to 4.5GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU10 to latest

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

when the stuttering happens, I notice objects loading in right at the last minute. I’ve tried every graphic setting, adjusting each LOD slider, turned off photogrammetry, AI traffic completely turned off and tried the stuff in the support section for PC settings.

Topic moved into Community Support for community assistance.

1 Like

When you tested by removing all mods (airports), did you clear rolling cache (if you use it)? There is also a scenery cache (with index files that can be deleted) located at:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryCache

1 Like

Deleted my rolling cache and all the files associated with it and still got stutters on landing when I did another flight

The sim most likely loads touchdown effects and touchdown sounds at the moment of touchdown, which is why many sim pilots experience an annoying stutter at touchdown.
This is probably some legacy code from FSX and should be optimised by the devs.

What’s weird with the stutters is that it only happens when I am flying jets, it’s buttery smooth whenever i fly GA aircraft

This is a known issue: Freeze during touchdown - since SU10
A workaround exists for PC users: Freeze/Lags while touchdown - but fps around 50 while approaching - #31 by eduio13

2 Likes

I’ve tried that fix but no luck for me, the last two small updates have reduced the stutters a lot

Why do you say you have no luck ?, better if the stutters have been reduced no ?
There was nothing in the last 2 updates release notes indicating that this stutter issue on touchdown has been fixed, so who knows what they changed that may have affected the stutters in the right way.

I have the exact same problem but only after the 2 small patches.

I’ll try this above but i don’t know… It will probably not help me either.

I was led here by other post and seems it’s the same issue but not really directly on touch down, it starts earlier already.

But identical symptoms like in all those topics, being

• hefty stutter and freeze with but not always reflect fps counter
  • airport objects load very late and with every stutter LOD from objects change
  • it gets worse over time
  • what i also notice is that i get the same stutter on the world map already when zooming in close.

Seems it’s the GPU because I hear the coilwhine stop with each stutter/freeze. It doesn’t reflect on the fps counter though. Everything GPU there is green.

so annoying…

This fix itself for you yet?

yes, i just fell into the update trap. You have to clear rolling cache, delete scenery indexes etc. Best to do this after every update.