Alaskan Glacier Sightseeing - Chugach Mountains (with .PLN file)

Today I went for another VFR flightseeing adventure around the Chugach Mountains to the north east of Anchorage. The route started from Graham Strip (48AK), tracking east along the Matanuska River to the terminus of the Matanuska Glacier. Upon reaching this point, I turned south to follow the glacier up to its head climbing to 10,500 feet AMSL in order to clear the ridges of the Chugach Mountains. Crossing the saddle at the crest, a beautiful vista of the Harvard Glacier opens up, where I turned to follow its passage to the sea and innated a gentle descent down towards College Fjord in the Prince William Sound. Following the course along waterway towards waypoint SOBGE, I then turned west into Passage Canal for a landing at Whittier (PAWR) on it’s shoreline.

The .PLN file from Little Nav Map is downloadable here for anyone else wishing to recreate this flight. An alternative landing site at Girdwood (AQY) has been included due to autogen trees at the landing runway threshold at PAWR:
Alaskan Glacier Sightseeing - Chugach Mountains (4.3 KB)

Bing Maps satellite photo coverage isn’t the best in the area, so I suggest creating a weather theme with around 10cm snow depth to cover the areas missing photorealistic ground textures. The Orbx Alaska mesh is also a must for accentuating the mountainous topography in the area.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing this! My sis moved to Anchorage several months ago, she “thanked” me for helping her move by taking a helicopter tour over these glaciers. I totally didn’t think to relive this in MSFS!! Time to start the sim with your plan. Thank you!

1 Like

Awesome photo @sttovo, great to see a real world comparison!

1 Like