Aloha , any recommended addons for Hawaii ? Mahalo

I would love to see some error reporting from MSFS. Give us a log, or a pop-up window, or SOMETHING. To have the sim go <bloop!> and have no idea why makes it very hard to troubleshoot.

2 Likes

Oh! Just in case you hadnā€™t seen it, Northern Sky Studios has been working on a new Hawaiā€™i airport for us!

2 Likes

I wish, I thought I had my white box problem nailed when I found the double airports. Nope. I took it to bare bones with only Hawaii scenery, and empty community folder otherwise, nope. Full re-install time. I see there is a thread with a couple others affected the same way from SU9. I think I got some corruption. Itā€™s probably about time. I havenā€™t done a re-install in about a year, or more.

EDIT: This will work, or as Iā€™ve threatened my PC. Itā€™s smashing time!!! LOL

1 Like

Northern Sky Studioā€™s PHNY / LNY Lānaā€˜I Airport released at Orbix tomorrow. (Actually itā€™s ā€œtodayā€ I bet, as itā€™s 0729Z at the moment.)

Oleh asked me to check out the airport. Iā€™veā€¦never learned how to use the drone camera, so hereā€™s a bunch of pictures at Lānaā€˜i Airport with a Trislander in it:

I donā€™t know what the pricing will be. Yes, I will be buying it just like everyone else. :crazy_face:

I think NSS did a great job with the airport. Just to show Iā€™m not just a cheerleader for NSS, there were a couple of planes parked that I noticed had their wheels slightly underground. (Lol, LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE!) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi everyone - @Baracus250 just let me know about this one coming out!!!

Also, Baracus is involved in a very cool project available over on Flightsim.to!

5 Likes

Itā€™s a two-fer today!

Thereā€™s a company called ATAC (Airborne Tactical Advantage) that flies older fighters out here in Hawaiā€™i in support of Department of Defense training. I think they had three Mk.58 Hunters out here. I know at least one of them was flying in and out of PHNG - used to see it in the sky by my house (right near PHNG).

Back in 2018, one of the Hunters, N323AX, took off from 8R (I think) at PHNL. At roughly 500 feet AGL, the engine died. Pilot tried to restart the engine, but ended up having to eject as the engine wouldnā€™t light off and he didnā€™t have the altitude to turn around. The aircraft crashed (thankfully) in to Keā€™ehi Lagoon just to the east of PHNL. 1950s ejection seat technology applied. Ow. Pilot landed in the water. I randomly met the pilot a few months later and he was willing to talk about the incident - said his back really hurt. :frowning:

Ok, so allllll of that was because N323AX flew in Hawaiā€™i, and the Hawker Hunter was just released for free on flightsim.to! Go grab it and get ā€˜ya some early Cold War flyinā€™ done!

Aloha yā€™all just saw the New WU10 and I must say I was hoping for a Hawaii update considering it is the USA. its been skipped twice now. even boise Idaho got photogrammetry. smh. Im on xbox and I am grateful they are free updates however xbox does not have the option to download from flightsim.to. well looks like I am getting a PC. I am just confused to why Hawaii has no updates, even the water masking is off around Oahu, and I live here. Anyway I see from this topic there are a lot of options for some love for Hawaii on PC. Really wish someone could do a Hawaii scenery add-on and a PHNL Airport and put on Marketplace

1 Like

(Answering here rather than the Lanai topic since itā€™s more on-topic for hereā€¦)

@Latka, I have some good news! You can remove some of the files and revert back to the main sim for the area around the PHNL (and I assume you can do the same around PHNG as well) while keeping the photogrammetry for the rest of the Honolulu area.

I removed these files:

And from the Part6A folder, I removed the three files that had PHNL in the name from the scenery/global/scenery folder and the six files that had PHNL in the name from the scenery/world/scenery folder.

Sorry I donā€™t remember the precise steps, but that should be enough if you want to reinstall and then remove the airport photogrammetry scenery.

So I have the photogrammetry with the PHNL area removed, plus FreakyDā€™s ā€œa bit better than stock, at leastā€ PHNL airport update installed, and everything looks pretty good. Thereā€™s still some junk around the periphery of the airport, but nothing you notice when on the runway or taking off/landing.

Just checked PHNG and it looks like a nuke went off nearby (and left a bunch of P-3 Orion skeletons), so a little detective work on what files cover that area is in orderā€¦ The Part3A folder has that area and has some files with KaneoheBase in them, Iā€™m about to try renaming those.

1 Like

Yep, renaming the files that had ā€œKaneoheBaseā€ in the filenames in the Part3A folder of the Honolulu scenery got the stock base back.

Though the stock airport is so basic Iā€™m almost tempted to go back to the horrific photogrammetry. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hahah - yes! Thank you for steering me back to the right thread. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the suggestion regarding the Honolulu scenery. Iā€™m going to have to make a note to take a look at that. The rest of that scenery is fantastic - but yeah, PHNL & PHNG just arenā€™t usable. :frowning: Itā€™s a shame, because other than the ā€œnukedā€ airfield and surrounding area, the elevation corrections and other stuff look pretty good at PHNG.

I would love to take a crack at making a proper PHNG, but itā€™s way down the list on my ā€œstuff Iā€™d like to doā€ with MSFS development right now. Iā€™ve got to learn how to use 3DS Max properly, then work on another project with that first - and then I can try my hand at ā€œmyā€ airport. :slight_smile:

Thank you again! Iā€™m going to bookmark your post and check it out hopefully in a few days.

Mahalo! :call_me_hand:

1 Like

for those who want more lights

simMarket: NIGHT3D HAWAII MSFS Version 4

3 Likes

Hey gang! Got a little updte:

On the Milviz Discord, one of the Milviz team said that yes, they are working on the 737-200, but they said thatā€™s about all they want to say at this time. He did drop this into chat and said something along the lines of ā€œThis is why weā€™re doing the -200.ā€ :smiley: :heart:

Just in case you didnā€™t knowā€¦ hereā€™s a 737-200 /adv in my favorite livery, the ā€œFunbirdā€ of Aloha Airlines!

3 Likes

About 20 years ago Microsoft let a bunch of us gaming journalists visit FlightSafety International to fly full-motion, full-cockpit flight simulators, to show how amazingly realistic FS2000 was.

CGW editor Johnny Wilson and I got to take the controls of a 737 simulator that was built from the cockpit of Aloha Airlines Flight 243. Just as amazing as flying a full-cockpit flight sim was, it was also amazing to be holding the control wheel that was used during such a miraculous flight.

(I got us down smoothly, pretty close to the centerline. Johnny proved how many times a 737 can bounce, and Iā€™m pretty sure they had the damage turned off. :wink: )

2 Likes

Yeah Flight 243 was just crazy. It really sucks that Clarabelle ā€œC.B.ā€ Lansing lost her life (the flight attendant that got sucked out of the cabin) - absolutely amazing that Robert (CAPT) and Mimi (FO) were able to bring that damaged bird down without further loss of life.

I dispatched for Island Air for a while. I may have mentioned it before, sorry. I met a good bunch of folks that went to Aloha to fly (well, until they were horribly mis-managed and shut down) - several of them got to fly with Robert and Mimi. One of the stories I remember hearing was that after the explosive decompression, they knew something major had happened, but because they couldnā€™t talk to anybody they werenā€™t really certain (from what I recall). So they head to land, and they said that they could feel the remaining (seriously degraded) section forward of the damaged area flexing up and down. Likeā€¦holy ____. I mean how do you even continue to operate after something like that happens, and then throw in ā€œIs the front of this plane just going to fall off?ā€ :frowning:

Canā€™t wait to get some Aloha birds in the sim. The MD-80 is standing in for HALā€™s DC-9s, but Iā€™d love to see a DC-9 as well. DC-3 is going to be taken care of come November (MSFS 40th Anniversary Edition), and hopefully the DHC-7 ā€œsoonā€.

It is a good time to be a flight simmer. I am really enjoying this. :slight_smile: Once I can get some ā€œreal lifeā€ junk sorted out (man itā€™s been a whopper of a 12 month period) I am hoping to put some time into both the Flightsim Hawaii facebook group as well as a secret project that Iā€™m not ready to reveal yet. Possibly two secret projects. :wink:

4 Likes

Hey, itā€™s Aloha Friday! :call_me_hand:t4:

Stumbled across some more Hawaiā€™i news to report. As you probably know, Sim Works Studios and PILOTS (not familiar with them yet) are working on the DHC-7 for MSFS. To date, we knew the project existed, but other than a few preliminary shots didnā€™t know a lot.

Today, MSFS Addons posted some shots and a few words from the SWS Facebook page. I was going to post the photos directly but itā€™s being a pain - just click the link. :slight_smile:

The Hawaiā€™i connection, just in case you forgot, is that Hawaiian Airlines built the Kapalua - West Maui Airport back in 1987, and built it to accommodate the Dash-7 with a 3,000ā€™ runway. (Even in the 37 pax DHC-8-103 that I dispatched for Island Air they would still run the engines up to full on the brakes and do a high performance takeoff!)

Once I can get my paws on one, weā€™ll get a proper HAL livery made for it.

N62RA (mfr s/n 89) started life as C-GFQL. HAL had the aircraft from February 1987 to September 1994. Looks like she started life with De Havilland Canada, then went to Rio Air in Texas until she lived at HAL. Scrapped in 2011. :cry:

Love the early Aloha Airlines livery behind it - anyone know what the palm tree is on the other 737 to the left? I donā€™t recall seeing that before. Looks like a dark blue and light blue horizontal stripe on the fuselage.

3 Likes

Aloha,

are any of the Hawaii Airport Addons on Xbox any good?

Mahalo (Thank you!)

I can whole-heartedly endorse the stuff thatā€™s out there now. Northern Sky Studios and South Oak have made some good stuff for the State of Hawaiā€™i. NSSā€™ PHOG is probably my favorite of the bunch right now.

1 Like

Thank you! Will have to take a look at it.

1 Like

Please feel free to shoot me a DM here, on Discord (Latka#7969), or post if youā€™ve got any questions!

All the Hawaii ones that are available for Xbox work pretty nice for me on my XBOX series X. If you stop and use the drone for too long theyā€™ll CTD after a bit sometimes. But PHOG causes CTDā€™s for me each time I land, or once I get on the taxi way. Iā€™ve got latest version of it. I had to delete it so I could land there. Hopefully at some point MS will get things worked out and itā€™ll work again. Itā€™s a great looking airport, just too bad it causes CTDā€™s.

1 Like