Alt+F4 Closes the sim without any warning!

Hi team!

During a long flight yesterday i was taking some screenshots. by default the nvidia app takes screenshots with ALT+F1.

By mistake i hit ALT+F4 and BANG! the sim closed without warning. No “Are you sure you want to close?” or anything. It just closes.

Please add a confirmation before closing the sim, or maybe an option like “Confirm before closing” or something like that.

Thanks!

Just now, as I was running MSFS windowed, I pressed the X-button by mistake instead of the full window button, which lead to a prompt exit to Windows. Pretty annoying, since I had no plans of quitting my flight (or the program). Shouldn’t there be a warning (“Are you sure you want to exit”?)?

I would like that, too.

30 mins into a flight just now I tried to quit Chrome which was running on another monitor. Thinking it had focus, I hit Alt+F4 and was unpleasantly surprised to see FS simply vanish.

While I would definitely appreciate a way to quit to desktop directly from the cockpit, this really isn’t the way it should be done. You can’t even go back a level in - for example - the activities menus without confirmation, so immediately quitting the sim is totally inconsistent.

I checked the control menus and Alt+F4 actually appears bound to something called ‘Select 4’ under the menu section. I’ve no idea what context that is in, because I tried it there and it still quit.

1 Like

That is true… Menu Select 4 is binded as Alt+F4
Shortcut to desktop :wink:
Should be changed to Shift+F4
and same to select 1 to 3

Hmmm ALT-F4 is exactly there for the user to exit programs immediately. Has nothing to do with fs2020. I don’t think it is even possible to build in a confirm box before the closing.
I love ALT-F4 when i need it.

22 Likes

alt+f4 is the global windows shortcut to kill the program without warning, usually in cash of a freeze. So i see no use for putting a warning there

8 Likes

Csgo doesnt not close by pressing ALT+F4 but works differently and gives warning.

I’ve done same when changed nvidia experience layouts hit ALT+F4 instead of ALT+F3 and MFS2020 was gone🤣

Please not another pop up asking for confimation, there are already too many in the IT-World.

Better watch what you are pressing!

No need for another confirmation popup EVERY TIME for the misclick happening ONCE a year (or so)…

12 Likes

Alt+F4 trigger an application exit event/message which can be trapped.

Try for yourself. Open Notepad, type something, ALT+F4, it will ask you to save.

4 Likes

I’ve brought this up before. I’m perfectly aware that Alt+F4 is the default windows shortcut to close an application, but it should never do so without confirmation if it means data will be lost.

The current functionality feels like a dev feature that was left in by accident.

1 Like

No it isn’t, it’s simply a shortcut for close/exit. If an application isn’t responding, Alt+F4 won’t close it.

1 Like

Good to hear the FACTS from someone, and not just assumed, made up “Misinformation”.

• Yes, of course ALT-F4 can be trapped, and then the program can do whatever it likes after that.

• Yes, or course it need to be error trapped in MSFS …
    with so many key Commands, its a MUST to prevent accidental closure of the sim.

100% gets my VOTE …

4 Likes

Believe me, you will see the need when during a long flight you press it by mistake while trying to take a screenshot.

It can be handled by the application. I’m a software developer and i do it all the time. Besides, what is the harm? It can be an option on the settings section. “Ask before closing” or something like that.

2 Likes

Not gonna lie, this is freaking hilarious lol. I can only imagine your reaction upon hitting Alt F4 by mistake.

4 Likes

same as ALT + L => flashlight … I pressed million times WindowsKey + L

I reported ticket, but only because after un-locking windows then all Lights of Airplane are off :joy:

1 Like

Like → :no_mouth: :frowning: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: !!!

1 Like

I like it. I always exit the sim through Alt-F4 after finishing a flight. Saves the trouble of going through the menus. Never pressed it by accident.

7 Likes

Like everyone else said, alt-f4 is a shortcut to kill the program. It doesn’t warn you and it’s been like this since Windows 3.0. I thought this thread was intended as a joke initially to tell you the truth. Just try hitting alt-f4 now on your browser…it will kill it without warning. In fact, I want them to leave it this way. I don’t want to have to hit any other keys besides alt-f4 to kill the program instantly.

2 Likes

All the people that didnt know what they talking about said that :smiley:

There are 3 (4 if you include a crash) ways to exit a process on Windows :

• Application Exit (ALT+F4 does this), clean shutdown (all process finalizers will called)
  • Application FailFast, ‘dirty’ shutdown (minimal finilizers are run, like when you get an OOM)
  • Process Kill, all bets are off (process has no chance to clean up)

Edit: These are similar to SIGHUP interupts on Linux.