Alternative to Spacedesk

I have been trying to use Spacedesk to hook up an external Android tablet as an extension of the Windows desktop, and pop out displays to it. It does work, using the Spacedesk app for Android, but I haven’t been able to get to be reliable - every few minutes it disconnects for no obvious reason. I also tried using the web browser viewer on Android, and it was stable, but very slow on my old Samsung Tab E.

So I looked for something else. I am now using Splashtop WiredXDisplay, which works through the USB cable rather than wireless. It works great for me. The free version disconnects you after 10 minutes, but is okay to verify it works for you. The paid app is $10, which seems worth it.

I now have my G1000 PFD and MDF popped out (one on a laptop screen, the other on the tablet.) Works very well!

One drawback I ran into though … seems you can only have one tablet running Splashtop WiredXDisplay connected at a time. I was hoping to have one for PFD and one for MFD. I am pleased that I tested this before buying a second (cheap, old, Android) tablet! Now I am looking for another solution though.

I have two android tablets for use as MFD and PFD for the TBM and have no connection problems on wifi. I also have a third that I use with sim dashboard for the TBM autopilot. Works very well for me with this setup. What speed Internet do you have?

My wifi is pretty decent, which is what is important here. Router is in the same room, just a few feet away. The interesting thing with Spacedesk is that it does seem to be stable when using the HTML5 browser client. However on my old tablet this is too slow to be reasonable for the Garmin UI.

I have an old Lenovo Tab 9 running Android 6 for one of my displays. That thing is ancient and slow as can be. It has no issue displaying Spacedesk content though. There’s very little processing that happens on the tablet. You’re just displaying a video stream from the main computer. As long as you set the colour / bit depth in the SpaceDesk client to NOT be at max and set frame rate to 60, you get a good experience on even ancient and otherwise obsolete tablets.

1 Like

I need to play with Spacedesk again and see if I can get it working reliably. After all, it seems to work for everyone else!

Splashtop WiredXDisplay has been rock solid for me. Only drawback is I wish I could connect two tablets!

I’ve got an old iPad that runs spacedesk and does so pretty well over wi-fi, but as soon as I pop a screen out I lose 5-10fps which renders it impractical to use. I’m running a mod spec machine (i7, 2060, 16GB ram).

How have you found it? I thought the pop out FPS hit had been addressed in a world update.

1 Like

I have never measured the FPS (and I have them locked to 30fps anyhow), but I don’t notice any degradation popping out displays. System is a gaming laptop with Ryzen 9 5900HX, 32GB, Nvidia RTX3070. It may help that I run MSFS at 1080p.

I run at 2k, graphics high, LODS 100 and I usually get 30fps (locked), but popping out a screen takes it down to 17-22fps. No doubt a 3 series GPU and a lower Res would help!

I run FS2020 in Ultra on a resolution of 7680x1440 and even with an RTX3080 each detachment with Spacedesk causes a detrimental FPS drop, below 20 FPS. So I changed organization and I removed Spacedesk (CPU-intensive by the way), and I switched to HDMI screens: the drop in FPS is less and the game more fluid and without disconnections due to Spacedesk. I put you the synoptic of my installation.Now i am about 30 FPS.

2 Likes

Do you have geforce experience installed? If so disable the overlay. I’ve found that it helps a lot. I run on a gtx1060, until I can get a rtx3060 next month, and have minimal FPS loss using 2 tablets running spacedesk. This is with an i7-9700k @ 5ghz… I lock at 30fps. I’ve also killed any virtualization on the CPU and in Windows 11.

there is a mod for using android tablets on network on flightsim.to Flight Display Companion (G3000 style display for android) » Microsoft Flight Simulator that may be worth taking a look at for those with fps problems using pop outs. I haven’t tried it myself though as yet.

I do and have been using the overlay FPS counter. I’ll try without.

And @FrazapBzh awesome set up. I want to connect more screens via HDMI but only had 1 port on my Omen. And only 1 GPU! [Edit: realised that I had an unused USB-C port and an HDMI adapter - I now have 2 external screens!]

And I know you have the TCA Airbus, but I just upgraded my Saitek yoke + TQ to Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo. The Alpha offers far superior performance. I was amazed just how much better it was. The Bravo is simply a delight.

I tried quite a few options until I got back to the default settings. When I put only one monitor I am at around 50 _ 60 FPS (graphic Ultra), when I ask the RTX3080 to drive 7680x1440 pixels (Nvidia surround mode) it requires a lot of work and I go down to 35-40 FPS. It’s more than enough to play FS2020 but it’s frustrating to see that the graphics cards and the processor are only used at 50% of their potential and that the FPS remain low. I think it’s due to the way the game is designed.

I currently fly 90% on Liners (A320NX from Flybywire) and therefore I use the Joystick but certainly if I had to use the Yoke Saitek more I would benefit from following your advice to replace it with a Honeycomb !

There is a PMDG Boeing 737 getting very close now!

If you have WiredXDisplay installed, SpaceDesk won’t work. There’s a warning on their site about it.

On a side note, by the end of 2022, the free version of SpaceDesk will only support 1 tablet. You’ll have to buy the full version for multiple displays.

I would buy Spacedesk if I could make it work reliably. I know SpaceDesk and WiredXDisplay won’t co-exist.

It is a pity there isn’t a program to allow the Windows desktop to be EXTENDED via Remote Desktop protocol (RDP.) If there is such a thing, I haven’t been able to find it.