Altitude Bug survived WU6

Try the clear weather preset for now. Don’t know what will happen using stock ATC but on VATSIM the controllers see me at the altitude.

Lol that’s fantastic! :joy: Good practice, actually…

O was flying over the Alps as well as the medditarean at FL300 and above.
It is definitely everywhere the same.

FL100 and 29.92/1013,25

FL260 and 29.92/1013,25

I am flying on Vatsim

I tested it twice before, controller saw me at 18,300 when I was indicating 17,500. Reset to clear weather then a bit later asked for another altimeter check they saw 17,500. Another time I asked and they saw me at 7,600 (was just slightly below that). Makes sense why I don’t have this problem looking a that graph, rarely am I ever above 10,000. Generally between 3,500 and 8,500 (depending on direction of flight and terrain). +/- 300 is the tolerance which the lower you are seems you’re more successful of falling into.

It seems like different users are reporting different altitude bugs. Some are saying they see traffic being repeatedly adjust then altitude, others stating that their altitude is reported differently with external tools.

There appears to be different instances of the former where some say that they themselves are not asked to alter their altitude, but AI/Live traffic is.

I flew IFR from Yuma to San Diego earlier at FL120, and had no occurrences of ATC bouncing me up, and down. I didn’t see AI being instructed to do it either.

There was a comment in yet another thread where VATSIM is accessing the wrong simvar, hence they still see an altitude mismatch. But for the individual player, it seems to be fixed. As for AI Live traffic, I’ve flown a half dozen hour long IFR flights since WU6 release, and there isn’t an noticable increase in the number of correction calls to AI planes.

The issue is not that the number of correction calls increased, the issue is that the correction calls are still there. I cannot get a word in sideways on any center frequency in between the endless altitude correction calls to AI aircraft, only approach and departure frequencies work (much of the time). That bug was never fixed.

The fix is trivially simple: Do not tell AI traffic that they are off their altitude. There is absolutely no functional reason whatsoever for AI ATC to tell AI traffic that their altitude is wrong. Only tell human pilots when they are off altitude.

1 Like

I think that’s just putting a band-aid to the wound but not really curing the problem. I think the ATC is doing what it’s suppose to be doing. They see the air traffic (both AI and yourself) and match it with the altitude assignment that they give. If anyone is not on the same altitude, they need to ask them to expedite the climb/descent to the assigned altitude.

The fix to the problem is the simulation of the AI traffic itself, both offline and live traffic. Ideally, if an ATC tells them to do something, that takes precedence over the data coming from the live traffic. The data should only be used to spawn the aircraft at which GPS coordinate at which altitude as well as heading. Then load the flight plan and have the AI fly the downloaded flight plan in the sim itself and following anything that the ATC tells them to. The Live data shouldn’t be “streamed” because that’s what’s causing the issue.

The issue appears with offline traffic so it is not caused by live data streaming.

Then all the more reason to fix the AI traffic behavior in itself, isn’t it? If the ATC tells them to descent/climb, then make sure the AI behaves exactly as told.

1 Like

Yeah, absolutely. But the first form of that bug appeared twenty years ago so I have rather lost hope of it ever getting fixed. It always happened when the altimeter setting had a significant step change; now it seems to happen a lot more often, possibly as a side effect of the recent altimeter functionality changes.

My point is this: If AI traffic sometimes flies a few hundred feet off the assigned altitude the only way you would ever notice is if you deliberately go look for it. Except for the fact that AI ATC keep yelling about it, and that is the real problem: It does not sound realistic (since it is such a rare issue that you would almost never hear in real life) and it blocks the frequencies. The root cause is the AI traffic being on the wrong altitude, but it is only a serious problem because ATC talks about.

So fix the root cause or fix the problem manifestation, whichever is quicker and easier. If it is easier to make ATC shut up then do that right away, and then take the next few years trying to figure out how to get the AI traffic altitude correct in all circumstances.

Possibly because AI traffic is leveling off 500ft below the assigned altitude, same as the AI pilot that was given us?

The root cause is clearly not the same with the bug that was affecting us and AI traffic. Otherwise the AI bug would have been fixed now when when the bug affecting us was fixed. It is possible that the AI traffic, if it is behaving the same as the AI pilot that was given us, is leveling off 500ft below the assigned altitude. Hence the AI ATC is even now, when it operates with the correct baro depending on the altitude, is still requesting AI traffic the expedite.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.