Am I the "Oldest Flightsimmer"?

All almost 71, simmer since FS-95, neighbor, MD-11 Captain for Delta Air Lines convinced me to buy it and he showed me how to fly, been doing it since then and every version of MS since. He taught me how to read Approach Plates, navigate and fly, read Airway Charts the whole thing. I still have FSX and the companion to it and will keep it. Wish had kept FS-2004 Century of Flight, and 95 and 98. PC have evolved and so have this addiction. I also like XP-11 and 12.

10 Likes

You know what´s perfect for flying! :wink:

2 Likes

That’s an impressive history of flight simming! And with computers. As someone probably 20 yrs your junior, who only took up flight simming a year ago, I applaud you sir.

1 Like

My granma is 86 and I would not imagine her flying a sim, it is good to know veterans like you still love the hobby since I see myself still flying when I reach that age (I am 31).

3 Likes

I always smile when I read about „old guys“ who know to use computers. If I compare it to my parents who are 20 years younger :melting_face::rofl:

When I was a student pilot 20 years ago there was a man at our club who, at over 80, still ran next to the gliders and motorgliders (!) holding the wings during takeoff and winch launch. 2 years after I started he lost his medical due to his eyes but still flew actively on the right side and loved every second.

Aviation is highly addictive no matter the age :smiley:

4 Likes

Near 72 here, my father drove me some sundays to Barcelona El Prat in the 60’s
This is my first contact with aviation:

My first flight simulator was on a Sinclair QL

22 Likes

Just coming up to 75 soon. Ex pilot and aviation enthusiast. Been building PCs for years. That way I know what Ive got in there. My current specs::
Motherboard: Asus ROG Dark Hero V111
55" curved oled Tv.
VR Pimax 8kx KDMAS
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d
GPU: Zotac Trinity 4090
CPU-Cooler: Liquid cooled 360mm Corsair.
PSU: Corsair hx 1000i
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4/3600mhz
M.2 NVME SSD: 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
M.2 NVME SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
SSD. NVME Samsung 970 EVO 500GB Storage.
5.1 logitech sound system Soundblaster Z.
Next level V3 Motion platform on Next level GT Track rig.
2 Buttkickers on race rig with 300watt earthquake amp.
Sim Racing studio wind and tactile generators.
Saitek Quadrant.
Saitek Multi panel.
Saitek Nav Panel.
Thrustmaster Boeing yoke.
Honeycomb Bravo Throttle controller.
Saitek fuel controller and deicer levers.
Saitek Rudder.
Mid size ATX Tower 10 fans.

400mbit Virgin fibreoptic net.

8 Likes

Nice addition !! :nauseated_face:

10 fans — wow

Photo please!! :slight_smile:

81 here. Former commercial pilot. Decided to add a little more detail:
ATR (ATP now days)
MEL
SEL/SES
CFI/CFII
Basic Grnd Instructor

8 Likes

I feel like a an infant with my 39, but at least I grew up in the R-Type and arcades era, and my PC is cool :smiley:

5 Likes

You don’t stop flying when you get old, you get old when you stop flying :grin:

25 Likes

I am 85. Retired airline pilot.
First solo in a Tiger Moth, first command on the DC-3
Anxiously waiting for the DC-3 in SU11

36 Likes

Now these is an uplifting and interesting thread. Glad to read that flight simming reaches such a wide age spectrum.

That said, my parents, both in their 70s, are completely happy if solitaire runs on their computers.

5 Likes

And I thought I was an old simmer in my mid 70’s. Kudos!

4 Likes

Apparently, I am young at 77!

7 Likes

Cool thread.

As someone who only got into flight sim with MSFS2020, I am curious to ask the simming since 82 crowd…

What have been the biggest and best improvements added over the years?

Something added in 1987 might seem like childs play with what we have now but perhaps it was major at the time.

2 Likes

For me the biggest jump came in FS 5 with the worldwide textured scenery, even though it brought my system to its knees. The next was obviously MSFS 2020.

2 Likes

A great respect to you veterans here. What a wonderful thread this is. I started flight sims in the mid 80s as a teenager, and bought all versions since…

The biggest leap was during the 98 to 2004 period where all the components of what we call a modern flight sim came to be. After that it was simply about “better”. VR is not new, but certainly brings a new level to the flight sim gaming experience.

85+ flight sim club, maximum respect to you guys and happy flying always.

4 Likes

Almost 91. Have had all previous simulators. That’s our twins, now 50 years old, with me and my Turbo Mooney

59 Likes