AMD Driver issue causing CTD

I’m running the 21.2.1 drivers with 5700 XT and completely default auto tuning and haven’t had any CTDs since installing these drivers in about 50 hours of flight time.

I’m also using last drivers with a 5700XT and Ryzen 7 3700X. Getting freezes while playing that lead to a CTD. Even some blue screens.

How do I roll back to old drivers please?

Go to the AMD website. In the Drivers & Support section, select your card and OS. Once you’re brought to the proper driver and its latest version, just below is a link to previous versions.
From there, you can select the one you want.

thanks! I will have to unistall the latest one first though?

We have to stop thinking that AMD or anyone else is responsible for CTDs.
The CTDs come from a bug on the map.
Over the course of the updates, they must correct it in one place and cause it in another place.

Going back to the first version compatible with VR 1.12.13.0 I managed to fly for at least 5 hours, on the same flight, which with versions 1.14.5.0 or even 1.14.6.0, never exceeded a few minutes.

No need. The Adrenaline drivers will take care of this.

Well, I disagree with your statement in regard with the GPU. The drivers are the source of the problem in many cases. In my setup, returning back to 21.2.2 fixes the issue instantly and I can fly for hours without issues. Upgrading to the latest 21.3.2 creates a CTD within few minutes. It is that simple. A clear Radeon regression.

I do agree though that the headset has nothing to do with this.
Also, these problems are usually caused by a combination of factors and one’s experience may vary.

2 Likes

unfortunately this is where THE problem lies …
There are an incalculable number of combinations, in order to find THE solution.
I will try the 21.2.2

I just installed the 21.2.2 driver.

I am launching a theft which causes CTDs. 747 at high altitude. LFPG to FACT
3 minutes after takeoff, finished, screen frozen, PC blocked, forced to restart by force.

If you don’t mind, you can try to start an LFPG flight to FACT with the 747 I don’t take more than a handful of minutes. Thank you

I’m trying this flight right now. Will be back to you soon. I presume you’re not using VR so, I will test with my monitor.

Also, can you get the crash entry from the Event Viewer so we can have an idea of the component that is failing in your setup.

Well, 20 minutes in flight on the route you requested at an altitude of 30 000 feet and nothing to report. Smooth sailing.

Again, if you can, please post the Event Viewer entry.

Yes, I only play in virtual reality. With the HP Reberv G2

(I’m on my Smartphone)

Newspaper name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 04/06/2021 12:56:57 AM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Tags: Classic
    User: N / A
    Computer: DESKTOP-19UKIM0
    Description:
    Name of the faulty application dwm.exe, version: 10.0.19041.746, timestamp: 0x6be51595
    Name of the faulty module: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.804, timestamp: 0x0e9c5eae
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Error offset: 0x000000000010bd5c
    Faulting process ID: 0x530
    Start time of the failed application: 0x01d72a6bc0ec62b2
    Faulting application path: C: \ Windows \ system32 \ dwm.exe
    Faulty module path: C: \ Windows \ System32 \ KERNELBASE.dll
    Report ID: 20dee432-01f6-4d44-be04-b5dd9a8317c8
    Full name of the failed package:
    Application ID relating to the faulty package:
    XML of the event:
    <Event xmlns = "http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name = "Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers = "0"> 1000 </EventID>
        <Version> 0 </Version>
        <Level> 2 </Level>
        <Task> 100 </Task>
        <Opcode> 0 </Opcode>
        <Keywords> 0x80000000000000 </Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime = "2021-04-05T22: 56: 57.3716896Z" />
        <EventRecordID> 4498 </EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID = "0" ThreadID = "0" />
        <Channel> Application </Channel>
        <Computer> DESKTOP-19UKIM0 </Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data> dwm.exe </Data>
        <Data> 10.0.19041.746 </Data>
        <Data> 6be51595 </Data>
        <Data> KERNELBASE.dll </Data>
        <Data> 10.0.19041.804 </Data>
        <Data> 0e9c5eae </Data>
        <Data> c0000409 </Data>
        <Data> 000000000010bd5c </Data>
        <Data> 530 </Data>
        <Data> 01d72a6bc0ec62b2 </Data>
        <Data> C: \ Windows \ system32 \ dwm.exe </Data>
        <Data> C: \ Windows \ System32 \ KERNELBASE.dll </Data>
        <Data> 20dee432-01f6-4d44-be04-b5dd9a8317c8 </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

I have just relaunched the LFPG flight to FACT. But before I deleted the key in the registry that prevented the upgrading of the HP Reberv G2

Now that I have deleted this key from the registry, which is supposed to prevent the HP Reberv G2 from being upgraded. The G2 goes into standby, and the image changes to 2D on the screen. For the moment, the display is not blocked. We’ll see later

We will not see anything at all, the screen of the G2 has just frozen with the PC blocked

I just re-did the flight in VR this time. After 30 minutes, I got a CTD. Checked the dump and the cause was in MSFS directly, an access violation within their code. So, nothing related to the video driver here. I have to say that I was moving from drone camera to another in a fairly rapid sequence.

In your case, it’s your DWM (Desktop Window Manager - the Windows compositor) that crashed. The error code suggests a stack overflow.

BTW, I have a WMR Lenovo Explorer headset.

With the 21.2.2 driver, I can usually for very long periods without a problem. These days, I most often fly the excellent MB-339 from Indiafoxtecho.

Oh well, so many components, so many possible weak points… I hope you can find a stable setup.

1 Like

The root cause of my crashes in VR was almost invariably the dwm so I gave up trying to fix it as it would seem we need Microsoft to fix this, or Asobo to fix whatever it is in the app which causes dwm to go strange.

No problems here, switched to 21.3.1 over a week ago and haven’t had a single issue.

I am doing the LFPG to le Cap in South Africa with the 747.

I went back to a version 1.12.13.0 of MSFS, I went back to 1.14.6.0
AMD Driver 21.3.2

I just smashed the time record on this flight, since the plane has been flying for 2 hours without CTD.

I would do more when I was on PC, but I did a CMD scan. It found me Windows file errors and fixed them.

I read that viruses could cause these errors, I applied a long cleaning procedure, with several applications (I would put the link)

We know that with MSFS you should never claim victory, but for the moment, a flight that has already lasted 2 hours is a BIG plus, when you know that it had never exceeded a few minutes.

Well, I had just posted this message, the display froze in the G2.
As usual, Ctrl Alt Del stuck, force restarting the PC, with dwm.exe error
In short, I spent an eternity to correct this dwm.exe, to arrive at the same result with 2 hours better.

The game is getting worse with every update. In the launch, i used to had smooth flying but now i get a CTD from time to time.

Lastest AMD drivers, 5700XT. I get freezes and then the game shuts down.

Be careful, if you post negative messages on the game, they will be masked by the flags of the community

You must always hope that a solution will be found, when you don’t know, but it will be found, maybe one day, or another day.
Since we have to stay positive, I will continue to look for solutions. This time I will try to flip my PC over, maybe if I get my PC feet up the CTDs will be resolved.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.