AMD FSR and MSFS

This entire post is going to be a little speculative, its ok I like that world. Just from piecing bits and pieces together, I have reason to suspect that MSFS/Asobo will be adopting AMD’s FSR for MSFS. FSR is supposed to be released next month, so I am going to go out on a limb here and say this is something that will be happening. No idea when I think this will happen, I guess it would depends on if Asobo/MS have been part of the process all along, or if they would be starting with a brand new tool box, or if its something you can just plop right in and it works.

The reason I am speculating on this is for a few reasons. Alot of us have complained about grainy clouds and such, well, this FSR if I am not mistaken has a denoising filter that could possible help with this. Also, another small reason why I think this is possible, is the hesitation to comment or commit to Nvidias DLSS, do they know something we don’t? Is DX12 a prerequisite for this? It would seem to fit quite well. But probably the largest smoking gun i can see, is that I just watched a video from Redgamingtech on YouTube, and he discussed about this release, and on the release partner page in the featured video was both Microsoft and Asobo as well as a small clip of MSFS. Again, just speculation, but…if anyone has any further thoughts please discuss. Interested to see what people have to say about this potential implementation.

4 Likes

Simply what kind of gains we can get from this FSR thing ? It would be nice if you can provide a short explanation to non PC experts like me :slight_smile:

Kind regards.

Theres no way to really tell because its not out yet. I suspect early off it may not be quite as good as Nvidia DLSS. But it is Hardware agnostic, meaning if developers embrace this method instead of the Nvidia method, it could change a lot of things. Especially if it has been designed in such a way it can evolve with Hardware. To answer the basic question though, these are basically methods of rendering high quality images at lower resolutions. You aren’t gaining performance as such, its more like you are lowering the requirements for an image of better quality which equates to better performance at higher resolutions. It will be exciting to see what way this goes.

2 Likes

If FSR is anything like DLSS, it will be a visual downgrade.

DLSS does not improve IQ, it simply renders at a lower resolution and intelligently upscales it.

So in effect you don’t know until you’ve seen it.

So I assume this technique is hardware supported and therefore only available with the latest batch of graphic cards ?

Likely. Might be supported by RDNA 1, but who knows.

Nobody knows what it does yet or how it does it. The end result is supposedly supposed to be a clearer image at higher frames, but the vehicle it takes to get there i dont know, and I am pretty sure not many would at this point. Hopefully someone who has been following this more closely than myself can chime in.

For those lesser mortals (like me) FSR = “FidelityFX Super Resolution”. :thinking:. It remains a mystery to me even with that snippet.

It’s surprising how many sim fans don’t follow news like this, to me its just as important as Notams and metars. As a simmer you need every edge you can get if you want maximum fidelity. Theres only so much fiddling with this that we can do…so we are left with program updates, driver updates, and hardware updates to accomplish our whims.

Yet I don’t understand this enough yet only to speculate a little on what it could mean for our collective future as msfs simmers.

I had a hunch anyways that this first year was going to be an extended beta, but by the end of August I have a feeling this will be a much different sim than last year at release either way.
We are starting to finally see some light at the end of the tunnel developmentally. To make use of a popular cliche, the baby has started to walk and babble…soon will be a very interactive toddler. Regardless, I feel this is positive news that all parties are working their way forward on adding value to a platform that has so much potential compared to others.

I hear what you say and, in principle at least, I agree wholeheartedly. However, my problem is that, as a long time retired (mechanical) aircraft engineer I signed up for the Flt Sim experience because of an abiding interest in aviation not a desire to find out how a computer works. It is one of the most aggravating things about MSFS for me that I have too constantly go delving into graphics card driver issues, CPU temperature issues, fan speed management and other computer jargoned detail (like FSR). I still revert to FSX on occasions to fly the sort of aircraft that I enjoy and although I miss the incredible scenery and geographical fidelity I don’t miss the need to monitor FPS and GPU, RAM, VRAM utilisation rates et al. I bought a new computer specifically fo this sim and although I doubled up on the specs that Microsoft advised before the launch less than a year ago, and I have added RAM since then, my GPU manager now advises me that my system is “marginal” and I need to upgrade to an RX6900XT and a Ryzen 9 CPU. The only GPU that I could find in stock in the UK, on Amazon, was priced at £4360!!! RRP £1300!!! BTW a year ago I didn’t even know what a GPU was! Sorry, that’s a lie - it is a Ground Power Unit :wink:

2 Likes

It’s just one of those things! Especially the GPU(the graphics one). I probably would never have learned about upcoming computer tech if it weren’t for flightsim. I’m just a wannabe pilot, lol. But its always beenike this, actually its been much worse! At least the developers are showing them hear our ideas here…so imagine msfs with less regard for the customer and thats what was in the past. So…you had to learn workarounds! Thats why you see so many people around here “try” different things…these are either purely curious technical minds, or they’ve had to get a flight sim working like they want. Maybe a bit of both, but mostly pure cut.

What you say is true and I’m guessing that most gamers of the various game communities all have the same issues to contend with as devs constantly push the boundaries. I’m also guessing that the demographic of the Flt Sim communities is subtly different from your Line of Duty type folks and possibly less likely to have the grasp of computer fundamentals that the younger generations grew up with. That stands true for me anyway :smile: and it makes for lots of frustrations when I sit down with my spare hour or two to go scooting around the sky and find that I either have another Gb update to install or I have to start diving into the unknown to find out why this or that suddenly no longer functions. I will stick with it but I’m not sure that I’ll live long enough to see this process reach stability :rofl: :rofl:

You can head over to AMD if your interested in this and vote to have the sim included in titles that work with FSR
AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution | AMD

I also believe FSR is coming to MSFS in near future. But not rightaway.

No, from what I gather it will even work on old NVidia graphics cards.

Here’s some info (link has the correct timestamp for this item, apparently supports 100 AMD CPU’s and GPU’s, and includes competitor GPU’s as well:

1 Like

Is there any information about FSR in MSFS? Performance FPS data for screen and VR…dates…anything

Nope, there is none. AMD just announced it this week, and will provide more details later on.

From the screen shots they’ve shared so far, it doesn’t actually look very good. Very blurry compared to DLSS. It’s basically just software based spatial antialiasing added at the end of each frame processing. It’s nothing like DLSS.

Apparently it looked better in the video from the keynote than from the stills.

Anyways, still early days. Let’s see what happens.