AMD Radeon™ RX 5700XT Graphics (8 GB) good enough?

AMD RX 5700 user here (AMD brand, standard version; not the XT). I have plenty of power on my machine for graphics set to high-end. The XT is the more powerful variant and rivals the GTX 1070Ti; I think you will be very happy with that card.

Here’s my system:
CyberpowerPC prebuilt
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: 16GB
GPU: AMD-brand Radeon RX 5700
MB: AsRock B550AM
Monitor: 1080p

Sim performance: High-End @ 50FPS avg. Tested in Boston MA Area, Robin CAP-10.

1 Like

I upgraded from 16gb to 32gb. Flying over big cities it has no problem suckling up 25gb of ram. Definitely worth the upgrade.

2 Likes

Thanks. Im just wondering if its just utilizing what ever you have. Since it’s using max 12-14 rams for me at any given time
Im sure when I upgrade it wil be above 20. Wondering what it will do for my pc Anyway.

Radeon 5700XT is really working for me. Just have plenty of cooling. My case has six fans total; four 120mm back and front, with two 140mm ceiling (exhaust) fans. Seems to do the trick. Temps in the mid 50 to low 60 range.

Yep, 5700xt is a beast in the sim when it comes to graphical processing. I’m currently getting worse performance from my ryzen 1700x and 16gb of ram.

They put out a new driver for this on Friday and it’s improved things a bit for me.
The game now shows up in the Radeon software too.

1 Like

In the process of rolling back to 20.8.2

The new driver gave me several random CTD events, and one glitch required a hard reset. That had not yet happened in ten days of using Flight Sim. So, back to a “known good” driver.

Your results may vary. :wink:

1 Like

I have this card with 32 gb ram and 3600x cpu, it runs fine on my 4K monitor but best on my 1440p. Previously I had an rx580 and even that was adequate at low settings. One thing I’m wondering about is ram speed, I have 2400MHz but heard faster ram helps a lot particularly with AMD cpu/gpu, not sure it’s worth the money though if FPS improvement isn’t huge

I have 32GB @ 3200. No memory related problems to report. I am using an AMD Ryzen. Those CPUs tend to like fast(er) memory.

Got myself a 5700xt today (Sapphire Pulse) FPS went from 35 to 54 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It does show in the Radeon software now indeed: don’t forget to use Radeon Sharpening!

Some people seem to be having problems with the Radeon cards and systems doing a black screen reboot as though the processor overheated even though system monitoring indicates everything is normal. I can’t even get through a flight anymore with my 5700XT. This started after I upgraded from my old 980 card. I would stick with nVidia for anyone that’s still on the fence.

Hmm… I’ve had great luck so far with mine. I cannot, however, recommend installing the latest driver 20.8.3

When I did that it was nothing but CTDs, after a crash-free ten days and 30 hours of use. Reverted to 20.8.2 and it’s been smooth sailing ever since.

My build:

Gigabyte Aorus Elite WiFi X570 mainboard
Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte Aorus 5700XT
Corsair Vengeance 3200 - 2 x 16GB
WD Black 1TB NVMe SSD

It seems like a very solid build, and has been in use since April. No complaints.

Where is that option could not find it in the latest AMD driver ?

Here you go:

Click the Gear in the upper right corner
Select Graphics from the sub-menubar
Drop down in the list to Radeon Image Sharpening

My RX580 runs sweetly with the 20.8.3.

I will have to revisit the new driver… after the patch. :smiley:

Note you may also enable Radeon Sharpening on a per game basis.

1 Like

On the initial subject of whether it’s good enough I’d say a resounding yes. I’ve uploaded some videos to my YouTube channel scenicsimmer, only problem I still have is microstutters (can be observed in the videos), hoping these might go away when I switch to a 1440p freesync monitor

I have an Asus Strix Rx5700 no XT and it runs very smooth using a 9600KF Cpu. I run the game at 1440p with a freesync monitor, no microstutter. Using driver 20.8.3