Animated waterfalls needed

I suggested to the dev team that waterfalls are static and should be animated to improve reality.

There is no crashing waves and crash animation does not show up.

3 Likes

I must say first and foremost that MS flight sim has so far been a HUGE game changer. And while there are some issues that I know are being worked on (like simconnect), there really isn’t much I can gripe about (aside from my local airports in KPIT and KAGC not looking great). But the thing that disappointed me the most was when I went to Niagara Falls and saw the posted screenshot… it just looks awful… :frowning:. I’m running on high settings with the following specs:

Ryzen7 2700x
Nvidia 1060 GTX
32GB DDR4
2 drives, (1x 300GB with my OS, 1x 1TB with my sim, both SSD).
Windows 10 Pro

I don’t think I was expecting 100% photoreal, but the falls just look like chunks of block water… it just looks awful for the surrounding area to look so gorgeous.

6 Likes

Hello
Yes to add if possible thank :smirk:

1 Like

I’m running i7 8700, 1TBSSD , Gtx-2070 with 8GB and the water at the falls is blocky and pixelated even in ultra mode. FSX had better effects on the falls, also in DC the Washington monument is a gray tower, no resemblance to the real thing, the White House is a flat blob. Pretty unhappy with these landmarks

1 Like

scenic flights would greatly benefit from more realistic waterfalls.

personal favourites include Victoria Falls near Livingstone, and of course Iceland’s Ring Road, the Faroe Islands, and Norway. Feel free to start with Niagara Falls :slight_smile:

would depend on more accurate low-level terrain data and fixing issues low-level flying issues (see for example in the Grand Canyon).

and dams too. There are some that have been object modeled that are not too big. Hoover Dam looks good but Glen Canyon Dam is just a wall of water.

2 Likes

Waterfalls please Even as simple as FSX would be fine for major waterfalls.

1 Like

We had shoreline waves animated. Pretty good animation in fact. I think until the last update. Now it is gone.

2 Likes

Why does all the good stuff get removed? Oceans feel more like calm lakes at the moment.

5 Likes

I see the topic of water animation and spray has already been mentioned in the Community Discussion area and there is also a similar wishlist to improve Iguazu Falls in South America (the “Niagara of South America”).

Flying around the Niagara River over the Falls looks great, much as I remember it in real life, EXCEPT the falls are frozen in time - they look like a plaster-of-Paris model, same for the rapids in the river above the falls - the white water foam doesn’t move, and even in an noisy GA plane, the roar of the falls ought to be perceptible, too.

Making the Falls more realistic is probably about priority 10,001. Yet maybe a few years from now, Asobo & Co. can fix the waterworks in the sim. The frozen water really destroys the illusion of flying above the falls. The screen capture below is from the sim after the USA UPDATE. None of what you see moves one bit while you fly over it. The water does not churn below the falls, etc.

5 Likes

The Iguazu Falls certainly need to be improved too.

1 Like

Can’t stress this enough too, they need to add water animation to at least rivers and waterfalls, smoke to hot water springs and fire/smoke to active volcanoes. The game is great, but when you start looking into specifics, and especially flying in VR with all the bells and whistles to have true immersion, seeing static flat waterfalls and live volcanoes as dead in the game and just looking like pointy hills covered with trees even with precached regions on high setting, it is definitely disappointing. Aesthetics is the must on realistic terrain. Also Bing sucks, their data is very outdated. sigh Oh well. Waiting for some improvements.

5 Likes

Even Minecraft have these effects, MSFS should have too lol

2 Likes

totally agree! Plus river flow, waterfalls, and surf. I would absolutely be “in” the sim if these things were able to be implemented.

1 Like

Now that particles and spray are coming to MSFS could we use the water spray to add waterfalls to the world like FSX did 15 years ago? Would be awesome to do flyby near the waterfall at Yosemite etc. Asobo could probably pull all the waterfall locations from FSX to start and add more later

Not a bad idea …got my vote

1 Like

Niagara Falls is much better in FLight Simulator 2020, than it is in X-Plane, where the cliffs/falls are not even there. The autogenerated water just follows some kind of gradient and does not fall off any kind of edge. The horseshoe falls, the largest of the three falls at Niagara Falls, is not modelled at ALL in X-Plane.

That being said, having the water fall, and the pool churn, and having a Maid of the Mist boat, and having Niagara Falls lit by colored lights at night would be a nice upgrade.

2 Likes

this had been a complaint from me since the release. all waterfall Globally should be animated. it will enrich the scenery big time.

2 Likes

Waterfalls, riversflows, waterspray from waves crashing into cliffs… These effects should at least be made available for the modding community. This would make the sim so much more alive.
Water physics should also be prioratized !