[ANNOUNCEMENT] FlightSimGames (FSG) Pilatus Porter PC-6 (payware)

We will see after release. We also take into account the release of FS2024.

3 Likes

We are more and more PC users who don’t want to buy from the Marketplace because of encryption.
You should really considering also make it available from another seller

2 Likes

if you go with the marketplace you have xbox players.

4 Likes

)[quote=“AdhocWings61, post:1613, topic:393681, full:true”]
We are more and more PC users who don’t want to buy from the Marketplace because of encryption.
You should really considering also make it available from another seller
[/quote]

I like buying from the market place because of encryption. It has many advantages for small development teams. They get protection from having their work pirated, they don’t have to run a credit card/payment app on their own website and they don’t have the hassle of having to create or update an installer.
If you’re a small team these are big attractions.

3 Likes

Please read me. I didn’t wrote they should not make it on the marketplace, I only suggested they also give us a chance to buy it somewhere else.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, none of that is true or much of a hassle now days.

The “piracy protection” ship sailed a long time ago, payments are a solved issue (as is having a website/store, which even a semi-competent developer needs for support purposes as these forums are not for 3rd party product support), and you don’t even need to provide an installer just a package for the user to drop into their community folder. In fact, it’s far preferable developers don’t provide installers, which have a lot of issues.

The big advantage of the marketplace for users is in game purchase and quick install, main downside is the long lead-time for receiving updates.

For developers, the main advantage is access to a large market. Some developers on the marketplace get 70%+ of their total income purely from the marketplace channel, no matter what their other channel marketing activities are. It’s potentially huge, depending on a few factors.

Marketplace is not witthout a lot of issues, however. Apart from the product release/update lead times (assuming you can even get inducted as a marketplace developer in the first place, which is a challenge😂), the star rating system is terrible with no actual review content, ratings are not split by platform (pc/xbox, and should also be split by console type given the poor performance issues with XBox S) and developers have no means to reply to those review-less ratings to even begin to triage issues. This was implemented a long time ago on Google and Apple appstores, but Microsoft still hasn’t implemented even a basic customer/developer review connection.

3 Likes

I think being on Xbox goes without saying but here’s the view of a successful, one man developer on the advantages of being on the market place only.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/619531-simbol-any-further-news-on-mp-approval-of-the-sting-s4/?do=findComment&comment=4782527

1 Like

Yes, and he neatly avoids mentioning that those planes can’t be modified, with the sole exception of the Premium/Deluxe first party planes that had their config files unlocked. If they could do that, and still sell on the MP, I would have no problem with it.

3 Likes

Thanks to All. This is really interesting discussion for us!!! :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

For PC there are options in between marketplace and running your own website.

Consider talking to groups like Orbx and Just Flight who run curated stores that will promote and sell your aircraft for a small commission.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t exactly call it a “small commission”, as they range from 20% to 30%+, but it is what it is if you want to use them as a channel. You can go exclusive for a slightly better rate, or spread across them all - which is a tradeoff between management cost vs marketing spread. I’d call a “small commission” anything below ~5 to 8%, which is typically what payment processers charge.

Google and Apple appstores dropped their commission rates to 15% for indie developers below a certain income threshold, after the Epic/Apple battle (still ongoing), but Microsoft is still up there in the ~30%.

A developer should still have a web presence of some form in order to communicate product and support information, whether they sell direct or not. Jurisdictions (like EU, Japan) are also tightening up on consumer rights and requiring online venders of even small products to follow certain requirements for ecommerce, no matter what the scale.

Either way @FlightSimUA best of luck whatever channels/methods you use and hope to see the Porter in the virtual skies soon!
Also best of luck in general!

2 Likes

Orbx, Just Flight, Sim Market and the in game Market Place; they all take around the same cut of the action - approximately thirty percent.

1 Like

While all the points raised above about third parties having their own website for communication and selling are true in a general context, I think the context here should be considered. Expecting the company to maintain a website with payment options in an environment with daily physical and virtual attacks on all infrastructure seems a bit much. If Flightsimgames manages to get the aircraft finished and get the tax paperwork done in a war ravaged public administration it will be a tremendous achievement. That would be enough for me, and I will buy it the first time I see it even though I already have two Porters in my collection.

12 Likes

I can understand that if your country is at war, that it might be a little hassle to run and maintain a web site and answer emails.
Releasing it through the marketplace makes it probably a little easier.

1 Like

What kind of systems realism can I expect on this porter? I own BB pc-6… Will it be more, in terms of damage, wear&tear and systems depth?

Good day to ALL! Swiss Air Force PC-6 with dynamic registration number! :grinning: :v: :v: :v:

7 Likes

Good day Maxuss1579! The main goal of our PC-6 project is to make an airplane with the most accurate aerodynamics. We made High Fidelity Flight Model (HFFM) which combines the exact modes of operation of the gas turbine engine and the airframe itself. We also made the most accurate avionics. All this together gives a feeling of real flight. Our HFFM was tested by real PC-6 pilots and very experienced bush pilots. The key goal of our project is the most realistic flight.

Regarding damage, wear&tear. We will continue to test MSFS UI Failures and Wear/Tear generator. This is powerful tool and not controllable by 3PD. To avoid possible software conflicts with MSFS UI Failures and Wear/Tear generator we still testing implementation of our Failures code.

10 Likes

I still don’t get the desire for failures? I always make it a point to be a prudent pilot that flies maintained inspected aircraft properly. One could always choose to pull down the cutoff lever or pop some fuses randomly in most aircraft without failure modeling.

3 Likes

I like the possibility of failures.

MSFS perfect aircraft that you just put on autopilot and go watch some TV and have coffee and pop back later to land bore me silly.

2 Likes

If you fly it as you describe then you may not trigger any of them. How do you feel about hot starts on the turbine? Or hung starts? Maybe FOD ingestion because you didn’t set the inertial bypass.

2 Likes