[ANNOUNCEMENT] Vessels: The Hawaiian Islands | Seafront Simulations

Looks nice! But Big Mo with the flag over the guns is just ridiculous. It’s one thing to not have combat in the game, but MS’s rules here have just gotten flat out stupid.

I worked as a games journalist, and then selling digital games, from the before the founding of the ESRB. And I’m pretty darn confident that guns on a historic scenery object (or un-fire-able guns on a historic airplane, for that matter) would NOT affect Flight Sim’s E rating. Especially as part of an add-on.

I think it might just be time to dig out my old press hat and interview the ESRB on this and get to the bottom of this ridiculous policy.

2 Likes

Yes! I understand that they want to retain the “E” rating, but … it’s not like we’re steaming around in BB-63!

Hi @Editer,

This is due to Microsoft’s own policy, not an ESRB one. I actually contacted ESRB about this and it would be allowed under their rules, but as a developer I have to respect Microsoft’s Marketplace policy. I have confirmed this with the Marketplace leadership.

Chris

Are we still to expect a release of this with SU10? Is it working well so far?

Having no guns is kinda sucky but nowhere near as bad as not having the leisure boats working. In choosing which battles to fight, I think the leisure boats situation is actually “winnable” for lack of a better word. Seems more worth it to push them on this rather than the weapons issue as I’m sure you’d agree.

We are testing with PC and will be testing very, very soon on the Xbox. So far, the performance impact that resulted from the SU9 VFX bug has been fixed.

1 Like

The product page is now live…

Seafront Simulations | Vessels: The Hawaiian Islands (seafrontsims.com)

So very cool! Thank you for working on the Hawaiian Islands! :slight_smile: <3

Right, I get that, but it was reported that the “no guns” policy was due to MS wanting to keep an “E” rating. And if it’s on principle, It’s pretty arbitrary from the company that creates Halo and soon will be publishing Call of Duty. :slight_smile:

But anyway, back to the Hawaiian Islands product! It looks great and I’m excited for it!

You might want to change the textures on the (very creative!) covers for the guns on the Missouri, though. That would never happen in reality on a retired military vessel, because it’s a violation of US Flag Code section 7 B and possibly “I” as well, which calls out draping it over monuments:

Violates 8B as well:

That’s what caught my attention in the first place: I knew that draping flags like that wasn’t allowed, so I looked up the actual rules. :slight_smile: Having the guns removed for “maintenance” would be less jarring visually than seeing the flag used that way on a military base!

(Just changing those textures to white/gray/etc. would address this.)

2 Likes

Hi @Editer - Obviously the changes to the guns creates some additional work for me so I looked into it thoroughly with both ESRB and Microsoft. I’ve been told the USS Alabama’s appearance with guns was an oversight.

A big thank you for the note about the flag code though. I’m working on this now and it will be addressed in an update. The marketing material will change to remove the flag too. Great info.

Thanks again,

Chris

1 Like

Super exciting stuff, Really enjoy my St Barts vessels! Can’t wait to see them in Hawaii.

Would be cool to see some of these guys floating around some day… I know the sim needs a lot of work before we can actually “dock” at these ourselves. But having a boat tug one out of the bay could be quite nice. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Here are some new shots of Pearl Harbour from the in-game marketplace version.

6 Likes

Is it out then?

I’m targeting release this week for PC and Xbox :smiley:

7 Likes

Nice. Looking forward to it! (And thanks for fixing up the [ridiculous but not your fault] gun covers!)

1 Like

You know, I wish the deck guns had American flags on them…

I kid, I kid. :wink:

Can’t wait for the release! Love to see more realism out here.

1 Like

I can’t wait for release. I have been holding off on the Adventium and Perfect Flight bush trips and activities until this came out. Looking forward to getting to try everything this weekend.

I’m very pleased to say that this is now available via both OrbxDirect and the in-game Marketplace :slight_smile:

[RELEASE] Vessels: The Hawaiian Islands | Seafront Simulations

Enjoy!

*Note this Trailer shows the package with the Orbx vessels.

4 Likes

I have to say this is looking really good @SeafrontSims, finally had a chance to look around a bit this morning. I noticed there was a tonne of people around Honolulu Airport and the Pearl Harbour area, way more so than I’ve seen out that way, must’ve been checking out the Vessels.

It kinda sucks we don’t have proper helicopters yet so I could try out a landing on something, not too keen on the Volocopter admittedly but who is? Haha.

I was treated to having a Naval ship leaving Pearl Harbour as I was buzzing around which was really cool and really unexpected, I thought they’d be all statics.

Hi @RandyFlagg9653 - Really glad you’re enjoying it and thanks for the love too :smiley:

There a quite a few landable ships sailing around the islands. Just check out the map on the Product Announcement thread or User Guide and you’ll have an idea of where to spot them :wink:

3 Likes

I’m guessing the subs won’t be submerged or can they?

It’s a pity that the coastlines are a little messy in some spots which made boats kinda hard to spot, Hawaii could go an add on that tidies it up a bit.

It’s really good that your Vessels are performing pretty well now straight out of the box.

1 Like