Another big patch. LOD still terrible compared with pre Alpha 1.6.x, which looked perfect

Can you create another detailed report in Bug & Issues or Wishlist regarding the LOD issues, so we can vote?

edit. Nevermind, just saw your message above mine haha Will vote!

Done! Hopefully the mods will group the votes per subject.

Yeah, didnā€™t want to start another vote thread as it just dilutes the count.

I agree with the sliders not being there just for the looks. They might as well remove the options then. Besides that, this should have been fixed in alpha/beta. And not hardcode graphics on release builds.

Iā€™d like to screen shots of real life and what youā€™re talking about in sim.

So many posts complain about graphics changes that make the sim more like real life. Which is not a strange thing for a ā€œsimā€ to do.

I used to like trying to make FSX look crisp and clear all the way to the horizon until I started flying and saw that isnā€™t anything like realistic, at least in most parts of the world where there is atmosphere present. Pretty yes, realistic no. So unless you provide screen comparisons about these ā€œfaultsā€ most people including the devs will take the posts with a grain of salt. Maybe you gave such info for the devs seeing you say it was ā€œdetailedā€ but we canā€™t tell.

If what you want is something that looks more pretty than realistic, thatā€™s OK, it is personal preference, but you should say so because as it stands people are talking about some of this stuff as if they are bugs.

I find it hard to believe it was so much prettier before and realistic. Asobo arenā€™t going to change it just to annoy people. But they are making a simulator so realism is a goal.

1 Like

I thought they know about this issue
" Under investigation"

1 Like

Take a look through the links I provided above. There a numerous screen shots of what is wrong with the sim in those links.

And no, we are not looking for crisp and clear to the horizon, but tell me, when you flew your real plane, did you see no trees just 2 miles away from you and did those trees POP UP very obviously as you got closer.

And were you in the alpha test of this sim, to even know what was possible only 3 months ago in this very sim?

And other thing, talking about horizons - this sim fails to provide realistic reduced visability in dry conditions, which means you can always see to the horizon in the dry. How unrealistic is that.

I have numerous screen shots of how great this sim looked in alpha, but I am not allowed to post them here due to the NDA, but you can bet your bottom dollar I continue to send them to Zendesk after every single patch which fails to fix this problem.

If you donā€™t believe me, just look at Asoboā€™s own trailers of the product - a good example is their video of flying over LA, and compare that with what you see in your own sim. No comparison.

POP up scenery just wasnā€™t an issue at all in the Alphas until the last 4 weeks before release, then something critical changed, and itā€™s been bad ever since.

The LOD scenery to the ā€˜apparentā€™ horizon worked very well - so well that it was something you never thought about. Now it is the most obvious deficiency in the sim.

And lastly, I donā€™t understand why people who have not experienced this in the alpha make such an effort to tell those who have experienced it that they donā€™t knw what they are talking about, and that we should stop campaigning for the quality we know is posible.

Why would anyone do that?

Asobo/Microsoft donā€™t need defending. They need a kick up the a***. They are rich companies, and I am only asking for what they delivered in alpha, and what they show in their very own trailers and adverts. Nothing more.

13 Likes

I would like to understand this issue. Before and after images are essential here.

Also, is LOD the right term? Level of Detail? Or are we talking draw distance or some combination of LOD and draw distance.

Also agree with the person that says atmospheric conditions play a huge role in what kinds of details you can see at distance.

As far as Iā€™m concerned, flying mostly over rural areas, the biggest eyesore is flat patches of poor quality textures on mountain faces, or where bushes or even trees should be. Thatā€™s an immersion killer for me. In urban areas, melted buildings are another eye sore.

This issue needs to be put into perspective with all the other rendering issues. Itā€™s not necessarily the biggest issue, if it even is an issue.

1 Like

LOD is fine hereā€¦ I thinkā€¦

1 Like

That is fine visually, but itā€™s hard to judge the real quality as it is a murky day.

Shotā€™s like this show the real extent of the problem. (copied from one of the vote threads linked above)

1 Like

sliders and even the .ini hack has no effect on this issue.

1 Like

I tried a LOD 6 edit, and it made a small difference with a notable FPS drop. In Alpha I had much better trees and buildings draw distance without the FPS problem. It was really good.

What made you lose faith in the zen? The fact they didnā€™t listen to any of us during the alpha and beta or the fact that now everyone gets to feel that frustration?

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a theory.

The alphas were plagued with trees and bushes which were far too big. Everyone complained about that.

Finally they reduced the size of the trees to what we see now, and at the same time we got the reduced draw distance.

I suggest that after that change, because the trees and bushes were much smaller, they had to draw many more of them to obtain the same cover, resulting in many more objects which need to be drawn and more load on the system.

Hence they reduced the draw distance/LOD setttings to compensate and keep the frame rates up.

And no one at Asobo has yet done the work to draw many more smaller trees and bushes to give the required visible ground cover and draw distance while maintaining the frame ratesā€¦

1 Like

Just the fact that:

a) this problem is SO obvious and an immersion killer
b) the fact that I have reported it so many times with before and after images which just cannot be denied, and I continue to do so, but nothing has been done about it so far.

And now we have a voting system to big up the bugs we want fixed, but the LOD issue doesnā€™t get many votes because most of the users on the forums now were not Alpha testers and simply donā€™t realise there is a problem, so donā€™t vote for it. So the vote count is comparitively low.

4 Likes

Here are some screen shots from before the time when the problem started.

7 Likes

Starting to get a bad feeling that Asobo are in over their heads. Some of these bugs being reported scream amature. Iā€™m hopeful they know what theyā€™re doing. Maybe it just comes down to being extremely rushed.

4 Likes

Dear MS/ASOBO.

The LOD gots worser and worser with every patch. But now it is FSX styleā€¦This is not acceptable anymore.

IF this is the answer for the performance issues some are having, or preparing VR for better FPS, than something is clearly going wrong.

You should not cut the visuals, wich are a truly USP as it was once at the beginning, BUT ELIMINATE the cause of the problem. And that is not the drawing of lots of buildings, trees etc. within the ā€œnormalā€ LODS. Is DX11 cutting youre possibillities here ASOBO? Did you overtook ā€œyourselfā€ with this beginningly stunning looking sim? And now, after complains about performance and tons of sold copies cutting the eye candy to change it for performance increase?

THAT at least is the feeling I am getting. I already thought that as I saw the low FPS and matched this with your promisses to bring VR in the sim.

Now it seems becoming clear that Quality always comes in conflict with performance.

You shoud probably priorities DX12 to get rid of a part of the bottleneck and give us the promissed quality!

BUT CUTTING THE LOD (=Visuals) to increase performance is loosing my interest in your product.

THAT combined with your word not allowed as real as it gets airliners is keeping me of your plattform. Because as a simmer and a customer who did believe in your plattform once, you starting to loose with this way you decided to go!

I am off.

An maybe back if you deliver what you promissed us!

Marcus

9 Likes

I been on alpha since January and i can confirm this and the performance was ok so i dont get why they did that

2 Likes