Another big patch. LOD still terrible compared with pre Alpha 1.6.x, which looked perfect

I know this is a a long shot, but I just noticed this latest patch had turned “OFF” Bing Data World Graphics. Having switched it back to “ON”, it has improved the scenery somewhat.

I appreciate that this won’t be the same case for all those suffering LOD problems, so please don’t hate on me if yours is already on or doesn’t improve things.

I agree. We won’t easily get anything out of the major league players in that department, we all know they’re sold out to the industry one way or another, it’s been demonstrated countless amount of time. I’m more thinking on not so big but numerous youtube/twitter influencers, or us spamming shocking before/after screens on MSFS twitter (that can hurt A LOT) and everywhere where the hype is generated, but if there’s only like tens of us and all the rest sits there simply complaining in the wind, then yeah, it’s not gonna work lol.

Like this for example:
twitter

And reviewers won’t change their reviews for the moment anyway, it’s too early, they’d rather wait and see which is normal. However, they can relay a you-know-what-storm if that starts to happen because they won’t involve themselves directly by doing that.

The alpha was run with far fewer simultaneous users than now are connected to the server at any given time. Part of the “stress testing” phase of the alpha was undoubtedly for Asobo to determine how high individual clients’ graphics could be set without negatively impacting the data flow for all users connected to the system. I’m sure that Microsoft is continually looking for ways to load balance and optimize the servers to deliver the maximum data flow to each end-user, and that process is undoubtedly ongoing, but there may be limits.

Any complaints about LOD reductions from one post-release version to the next are absolutely fair game and a legitimate cause for concern, but comparisons between alpha versions and post-release versions are not.

The NDA notice that every alpha tester had to acknowledge on each launch of the sim made it very clear that there were no guarantees.

They’re definitely downgrading graphics on each update… Downgrading the game after release is just not fair!. It’s never a good thing but I get it if there are changes (for worse) when compared to the alpha, since alpha is still under development. But when you buy the software upon release, enjoy the graphics and later you’re forced to “update” it to worse and worse versions… I really hope those are accidents and bugs… Because if they’re compulsorily decreasing graphics quality for whatever reason (lazy optimization or xbox matching) That’s a really dirty move.

7 Likes

While I respect your worthy opinion…

I don’t agree at all. The second pic is way too sparse. When I get closer or right over the land the trees all appear and it looks great. However from a distance it looks too naked especially since I’ve seen it look so much better before.

I just loved the fullness from the distance the alpha gave us! It was the second thing I noticed after the Clouds when I first loaded the game up during Alpha Testing. It was so incredible seeing so much detail so far out and it was running soooooooo goooood!

Anyway IMO, best case scenario would be to give us another Graphical Slider so that we can adjust it to our taste.

I’d even be happy if a 3rd party dev came up with a solution. I want those extended vistas back!

2 Likes

I don’t think this pic is bing data… looks like offline landclass, which in general doesn’t look good at all. I don’t find the “lod” a problem with the latest patch but the trees have definitely been thinned out, maybe a bit too much. I think they have done this for performance improvements. I run with 200 terrain and objects since the patch with great smooth FPS. I don’t find it worse at all, it’s actually bettter on ultra settings. i7 10700K 2080S 32GB

Keep this thread up

1 Like

I just edited the config file to increase the terrain LOD from 2 to 5 and it seems to have improved things for me.

{Graphics
Version 1.1.0
Preset Custom
{Texture
MaxAnisotropy 16
Quality 0
}
{SuperSampling
SuperSampling 2
}
{Terrain
LoDFactor 5.000000
}

1 Like

UserCfg.opt

I’ll tell you what the problem probably is now.

The A team has already moved on, to crunch down and get the console version finished.

The PC improvements are probably in the hands of a less experienced team now, that received a one hour “knowledge transfer” session, and is terrified of touching it.

2 Likes

Is there no way to mod the LOD of the trees? We can change the Building and Terrain LOD in the UserCfg.

1 Like

looks like a watercolor painting when flying now smh

Yep they just confirmed this in the developers Q&A and talked about how the XBOX “optimizations” are being tested on the PC. Seems like their optimizations are to nerf the visual quality. Sad.

3 Likes

I could accept the scenery which often looks like fsx, because it’s often amazing and the weather looks amazing.

What I can’t look past is it being almost totally hands off to play even in conditions that should be challenging, and asking for even less mental engagement than Halo.

Hopefully they’ll bring them back after testing them

Before the patch I never crashed, after the last update I have continuous crashes.
Not to mention the terrain …
We are not

Off course it does. Those of you who still dont know and are bugged flying at high altitudes watching at blurry low ZL terrain textures I suggest give memory editing a try and adjust Terrain LOD to your needs.

Now photogrammetry SF

1 Like

Welll… no. Not without another image for comparison. All I see is a rural area with lots of grass. So it looks fine to me. A few additional cows could be rendered, but that’s about it, as far as I am concerned.

So unless you can show a real world photo of the same area I cannot tell what’s wrong with the “level of detail” (which, as someone else already pointed out, might be confused with “draw distance”).

1 Like