Any advice on new airport textures shimmering since U9?

I am experiencing shimmering on textures for some airports since U9. Anybody got any tips and tricks they can share?

What do you mean by shimmering? Do you have a screenshot to share?

MSFS 2020’ers has a good article on YouTube about turning down a setting in the cfg file if you appear to get too much shimmer - I think. I did not turn down one of the settings he recommended because I didn’t believe I had too much shimmer.

1 Like

not possible to share a screeny as shimmering is a flickering on certain textures on buildings.

Is this setting turned off?

yes indeed it is

1 Like

If you name some airports with this problem I will try to see what happens on my end and let you know if I have any solutions. Some of us have been reporting shimmering issues since SU5 but yours sound a bit different.

1 Like

MK Studios EIDW
Freeware EGSS
ORBX LIML

1 Like

Alright. I don’t have any 3rd party airports installed, but I can grab the freeware one if this is it?

You can but no pressure. That one certainly shimmers nowadays.

1 Like

I definitely see what you mean at EGSS. I can see that the textures have fine details using a lot of fine straight lines. The TAA algorithm has issues with that, and it’s basically the same issue we’ve been reporting since SU5:

292 votes

2 Likes

Cheers for the effort you put in and for clarifting the matter. It’s strange as I did not experience this before at my most commonly used airport EIDW.

1 Like

Cheers. I am going to try disabling TAA sharpening in the UserOpt.cfg file to see if that helps, but I kind of doubt it. I also tried clamping LOD bias using the Nvidia driver, plus set to High Quality, but that didn’t fix it.

Not sure if the airport textures got updated, or if the sim TAA algorithm got changed again for performance reasons. Anything is possible I suppose.

It didn’t really help.

The airport designer could use different textures without all the fine straight lines which are prone to shimmering.

1 Like

no worries and thanks again for investigating to this level!, i can accept it with a freeware - wonderful - effort such as this but it becomes a shame when it effects the stuff we’ve paid for.

2 Likes

We are hoping the upcoming Sim Update 10 in July will possibly help remedy some of these shimmering issues. The devs have been working on tech like DLSS and FSR 2.0 for example.

1 Like