Any AMD R9 5950X Users?

I’m on G.Skill @ 3800mhz (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)
See with this little software for optimization.

It could also be that your graphics card is having a big impact on your temperatures.
There is no such problem with AIO cooling, or custom liquid cooling.

For information, Cinebench R20 benchmark: 11,809 points.

Default was @ 2666 MHZ. Memory is advertised as 3600 MHz as Tested. Ryzen 9 supports 3200 MHz.
I did my homework originally as I wasn’t crazy about liquid cooling and some people said the Noctua NH-D15 would be good. But origianlly I had a Ryzen 7 3800x and went to the Ryzen 9 5950X but they said the HSF would be good too.

1 Like

Looks great.
I remember when I build my system, I applied the thermal paste and after that I putted my pump on the cpu. BUT because of the tension from the hoses the pump shifted a bit. I ignored this and screwed it tight regardless.

But yeah maybe after a re-paste in my case, my temperature will drop too. Thats my hope at least.

1 Like

That’s what I have read too. Noctua’s are one of the best fans. Back in the day when I did my research.
I decided to go for an AIO because of the aesthetics.

The numbers. During the 3DMark Benchmarks.

Would you believe 175 FPS?

1 Like

Wow amazing numbers!!

Problem solved I guess? just by turning down those memory clocks.
What about the simulator? Did you notice some difference in performance?

I will give this a try too!!

I will post my finding once I’m done with my paste.
Somewhere this week.

Happy flying🛸

Your timespy score doesn’t seem up to snuff.

Please use the rated docp settings for the memory @ ddr4 3600 and turn PBO on

Your cpu score is lacking

My timespy score is above 18000, my CPU score runs above 14,000 and my cpu is not a 5950x so something is not configured correctly.

2 Likes

Also here with pics.
TechPowerUp Forum

1 Like

Okay. [url=https://imgur.com/sInC1Ix][/url]

I’ll post config stuff later tonight. Going to be out for a few hours

1 Like

The best way to get maximum performance from the new 5XXX.
In BIOS:
-PBO set to “motherboard”
-Curve Optimizer manually set to “negative” with settings between 5 and 10 for the best cores, and 10/20 for the weakest.

Here are some pictures of my settings on MSI Unify. (sorry for the quality)

This is the best setting obtained for my 5950X in terms of my “high” cores and my “medium” and “low” cores.
We can know the order of the cores from the most efficient to the least efficient with HWiNFO available here:
https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

1 Like

For the @ 3800 mHz setting (on the G.Skill 3600 C16 that I have), do not use the “XMP” profile but prefer the manual setting.

Then with Dram calculator, we apply the advanced settings that it offers.
Of course, we can still optimize a little, but the results are already very good.
Once again, sorry for the quality of the photo …

I’ll be studying on that. I am no longer reading that high temperature. Now I’m reading a maximum of 62º C and my last observation, this morning, with the recommended Ryzen Master software is 51-53º C.

Thanks for saving some time.

Although I probably would have started the user on standard PBO or used an all core negative curve optimized setting rather than individual core. (The user appears new to this so going into specifics like individual core tunings may be a bit overkill)
I just wanted the user to enable the standard PBO (Maybe use a very light negative curve on the curve optimizer and leave it at that) Should easily bring him up to the expected 14000 to 15000 cpu score target for timespy.

As for ram … Same thing use the DOCP timings … get a baseline … thats working and stable.

I would rather not have to deal with questions about overclocking instability and the possibility of the user needing to have to reset cmos if any of those timings from the DRAM calculator are off.

Keep it simple
Enable Standard PBO using the AMD overclocking section of the bios found in the ADVANCED section of the BIOS… NOT the AI tweaker section (as a matter of fact everything in that ai tweaker menu needs to be set back to defaults and FMAX turned off) Use the Advanced menu/ Enable DOCP / Retest Timespy and evaluate.

That score is actually after multiple passes so the components are a little warm. But you should be beating this score easily with an RTX3090 and a 5950X

1 Like

Roger that. I did not intend to Overclock just for the sake of Overclocking. I want a buttery smooth frame rate without the hiccups and stuttering in my sim and I am getting that. This started as a “Is this thing too HOTTT!!”?? at 80 Celcius? Whatever happened between then and now is a mystery to me. The software Core Temp 1.17.1 was what I was using. In my BIOS you get a NORMAL setting or OPTIMAL option. Going to try it again later on OPTIMAL and check the temp. I think the memory setting bumped up to 3200MHZ/1600 gave it a bit of performance after it was done correctly. Now using RYZEN MASTER software recommended by another geek on TechPowerUp. Cheers amigo.

1 Like

Done. AI Tweaker at default. PBO enabled via Advanced\AMD Overclocking\Overclock>Enabled_Memory Clock Speed>1600MHz and Precision Boost Overdrive>ENABLED.
And away we go. Test results coming up. :ok_hand: They were better before. TIME SPY 17818 GPU 19194 CPU 12671

Wow thats disappointing. The gpu score is ok… something just isn’t right with the way your cpu is configured. If you look closely at your timespy cpu screenshot you can see that your cpu graph doesnt show 5ghz and your detailed specs is showing 4 ghz you can see that your cpu is not boosting past 4ghz. That indicates to me that you still have a manual overclock enabled somewhere in the bios. Actually i just opened my Ryzen Master because something in your screenshot caught my eye.

From the looks of your Ryzen Master screenshot you are manually overclocking the cpu
your screenshot states OC Mode : Manual
This should be either in PBO or Auto Overclocking state.
Please check to see if it is still showing “Manual”

When I started monitoring the temps is when I started reading that temp(80ºC). I haven’t seen it that high with any other software. It was just 57 degrees in the sim using Ryzen master. Game spy the same. GPU is 67 deg. max. The sim is smooth. No hiccups. Time Spy Stress Test 98.8%.

Yes. In OC mode/ Manual

Then PBO is not enabled. You need to find where you have a manual overclock going on somewhere and disable it.

1 Like