Any interest in a tool that lets you override VR cockpit position?

This isn’t even really a VR specific issue. Any sim worth its salt lets you tweak your in-game head position in a way that that becomes your new default or baseline, and with fine tunable “clicks” or numbers. Look at iRacing or Euro Truck Simulator 2, both predate common VR usage and yet this basic functionality exists for the benefit of VR and flat screen users alike. It’s just a little window or control box in-game.

2 Likes

I am confused about how this is different from VFR Pilot View Save. I adjust my position to where I like it when I first use an aircraft and use my shortcut key to save that position. Then every time i reset my view it goes back to that saved view just fine. Takes 5 seconds at most.

The only quirk is that the cameras in options have to all be at 50% otherwise the zoom can be messed up.

Am I missing something? Do people want a universal better default?

Something like this in MSFS would be amazing. I think even if they would just let us default to one of the custom user cameras, that would go a long way so we don’t have to do this every time you load into a plane.

Are your saving to a custom camera view using CTRL + ALT + 0 - 9? If so, don’t you have to select that custom camera everytime you fly? Also do you mostly fly in VR? When you are in a VR headset, the simplest things like pressing keys on a keyboard becomes a hassle. So a tool like this would help with that. Also, currently there are quite a few planes whose VR Cockpit position just don’t feel great, the hope is this tool would help folks get a good setting without going through the hassle of tweaking and doing it yourself.

2 Likes

On my system, the Cessna 172 G1000 has a VR camera start position too close to the instrument panel.
I replaced the cameras.cfg file with the one corresponding to the classic Cessna 172 (Deluxe edition).
It seems to work.
Is what I did right or can I have problems ?

No. The default reset is bonded to F. You can change that position by mapping VFR pilot position to a key. When you save that position it becomes your default position for that plane. No binding. If you move around and reset it goes back to that position. When you load the aircraft it starts there.

Yes I would be interested and looks great!

Where possible I like to fly from right hand seat in order to use VR controller in my left hand to interact with instruments (MSFS VR stick/yoke control leaves a lot to be desired so normally need my physical joystick in right hand)

1 Like

Did you just replace the “InitialXyz” value? If so, I think you should be good. I don’t recommend replacing the entire cameras.cfg file.

1 Like

I am assuming this is what you are referring to How to Change Default Cockpit Camera Views - MSFS (2020) Tips and Tricks Forum - The AVSIM Community .

I have not been able to get this to work in VR. Have you tried it in VR? Does it work for you? Another issue with this approach is that not all planes have a VFR Camera View and looks like doing this may crash the game.

That sounds like a crazy setup, have you used Cockpit VR Zoom? I feel like that should help simplify at least some of this. I find it extremely useful to read the instruments in VR.

I have no problem reading the instruments! As mentioned I love to use the VR controllers, it increases my immersion to another level. Ideally I would fly only with VR controllers (virtual yoke/stick), but because the virtual yoke and stick implementation is very poor compared to VTOL/Xplane, I usually need to use my physical right handed joystick. And then so that I can still use a VR controller for clicking buttons, flaps, etc, I must use it in my left hand. And therefore it makes sense to sit on the right side of the cockpit, where possible.

I’d love if this app could let you switch your current VR cockpit position to be the same location, but using the drone camera instead. It gives a much more lifelike feel in the cockpit that way as the cockpit moves but your head and view do not.

This is in 2d mode, not VR correct? Within the last couple of days on the Beta 10 my modified VR Pilot position I had set in the Camera.cfg under the PilotVR section has been moved back even though my modified values are still in the Camera.cfg file.

The steps I mentioned should work for VR too. Which camera config file are you changing? There are two of them.

The same one I’ve always edited. The one in the official folder of any aircraft, not the one that only adjusts the 10 custom views.

Absolutely none of the changes made to the cameras.cfg official file make any difference to the default pilot position in any aircraft now, it remains way back, almost in the seatback.

Only thing I can do now is make a custom position for the pilot in one of the 10 available slots. Not ideal when in VR.

Maybe I don’t understand the question but I simply move my head the opposite direction I desire to move, press the recenter spacebar then move my head back to the original comfortable position. Then, I can used the up/down/right left buttons to fine tune the position. Presto, in 5-10 seconds I have shifted my seating to where I want to be for the flight.

I probably do this setting on every flight.

2 Likes

Are you changing the “InitialXyz” value in the config file then? If so and restarting the game doesn’t change your default cockpit view, then this may be broken in SU10. I have not tested this in SU10.

I am assuming you don’t fly in VR. It is pretty tedious to do this everytime when wearing a headset and you can’t really see your keyboard.

I do use HP G2 VR Reverb VR. My laptop’s keyboard is right in front of me. The long space bar on the bottom and the four arrow keys at the bottom right just left of the mouse I’m using.

Like I said, 5-10 seconds to lean over, hit the spacebar, and fine tune with the arrow keys.

Agreed, if I need to hit other keys like the alt + F to refuel, I have to lift the headset to see.

That’s exactly what I’ve done all along. I suspect it is something to do with SU10. I actually posted the same question in the Beta page but haven’t had any replies to it so I’m not sure.