Any way to install without the XBox app?

Not trying to as it would be a waste of time. Spent a load of time last night posting time and again to help people who couldn’t see the update to either download the xbox app or (if they had it already) log out and back into it. 99% of those people were grateful for the help. The 1% started threads like this…

5 Likes

So you are bothered by people posting and starting threads about stuff they don’t like?

Nope, I’m not bothered at all. Ilm just pointing out that there are bigger fish to fry here, and there is little need for people to get so worked up about something like the xbox app. It’s almost as if people believe it will somehow infect their pc and turn it into a console - god forbid.

Anyway, been nice chatting. I’m off to set up leg 4 of my 227 leg round the world trip - looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Safe landings.

Is it? That’s what the MS Store app is for. Why is the Xbox app also needed?

At best it’s intrusive adware. At worst it’s yet another potential failure point in an already overly complicated and error prone update process. If you’re happy with that, then great. You don’t have to go around dismissing others’ legitimate complaints.

To the OP and others, while raising a fuss is actually one of the more effective ways to prod the developers into action (despite what the fanboys say), this complaint isn’t going anywhere. Microsoft’s agenda is to use Flight Simulator as a tool to promote the XBox platform, even at the expensive of your PC experience. They won’t cave on this one no matter how loud the complaints get. It’s an Xbox game.

2 Likes

I have disabled it from starting when the system boots I really hate software like that that to me has no real purpose or function but it runs and opens with the PC.
What gets me is I can now see I have 4 Xbox related apps installed… on my PC…

Yes it is:

On Windows 10, the app additionally serves as a launcher for PC games installed on a device (including games obtained from Microsoft Store and Steam), and provides access to the system’s screen recording functions. During E3 2019, the existing version of the Xbox app for Windows 10 was renamed Xbox Console Companion , and a new Xbox app was introduced in beta—which is geared more specifically towards PC gaming, and serves as the client for the subscription service Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.

1 Like

xbox is microsoft’s gaming brand and applies cross platform. It’s one of the reasons why you can fly multiplayer with xbox console users. These apps are little to do with xbox itself.

After a long time searching how to do , I coud access to download update 1.19.8.0 , but it failed at 98.8%!!!
Now I need to reinstall and have to download 65go at 2.5 Mbits/s .
I’m stuck in file fs-base-cgl-0.1.63.fspackage.002 . (24 hours dowloading for first file 1.86 Go !!!) resets to 0 at 2%
If someone coud really explain how to solve this problem (have a new PC , up to date , no internet connection problem) , he or she will be welcome . Thanks

You didn’t really answer the question did you? The MS Store app already manages your app downloads, updates, and acts as a launcher. Why is the Xbox app needed?

1 Like

Lots of reasons. You didn’t really look at the web page.

But anyway, you can use it as a launcher for other games, not just MS Store ones etc. You can also buy games directly through it, do multiplayer matching/contact, use its recording software etc. Here’s the full details (but no one seems interested, but hey ho)

Yes, those are things it does, but that doesn’t answer why is it needed. The update process and Flight SImulator worked without it previously. Because Xbox marketing?

1 Like

I don’t know. Ask Microsoft.

I appreciate that, I am just a little bemused that I have ended up with 4… it would be kind of useful to know which are going to prerequisite for future MSFS update/use and those that I can uninstall. To be fair I think I may have installed one intentionally a while back.

The Xbox app that needed to be installed to get the update is particularly irritating because it insists on opening when the PC is booted. I don’t like/need extra stuff running in the background that 95% of the time provide me with no direct function that I can see/need.

That can be turned off in Settings.

Not quite, you can prevent it from being run at all when the PC starts up, what I was referring to was the fact that it opens its GUI on screen when windows starts.

Oo-er. Dunno why that is. Just uninstall it like I’ve done. It definitely won’t start then!

I think it is needed by the fact that MS wants you to have the app whether you like it or not.
Looking at some of the other posts it would seem the xbox app has superseded the xbox companion or smart glass, which equally it would be useful for this to be clearer so we know the others can be removed.

Oh you mean another platform loader like the MS store? Why would I need the Xbox app if I already have the MS store?

And yes I could install it and remove it afterwards (any guarantee that it isn’t actually needed for the sim to run?) but this is a matter of principle. I dislike MS forcing software onto their user.

Which ones have you got installed?

You can easily stop it running at start up. Click on your profile picture top right, then settings, General - top 2 options per below screenshot are the ones you want to UNtick: