Anyone else having periodic severe stutters post SU12, despite major CPU/GPU/VRAM headroom?

I’ve had nothing short of sterling performance for many months now after some optimizations done in Dec 22. Since SU12 installed I’m getting these unexplainable periods of severe stuttering I’ve really never seen before. And, it’s very random. I did KATL>KROA the other day, twice–the first time was pretty problem-free, the 2nd time was a mess of stutters w/ wretched frame time variance upon arrival into KROA. Flying into KSEA the other day was so bad I could hardly land the plane (PMDG 738). And again, i haven’t seen this degradation for eons prior to SU12. All software addons updated post SU12, community folder emptied of most addons, and I’ve made no other changes to GPU drivers or anything else. Win 10 did an update around the time of SU12 so that’s a possible source, but unfortunately I don’t think I can remove it as it’s been >10d since installed. Of note, temps are all good, no new competing processes I’m aware of and I’ve become intimate w/ how to make MSFS run really well, so puzzled.

SO…this post is simply back to trying to find out if others are seeing this characterized by inconsistently occuring severe deterioration in smooth animation despite having ample CPU/GPU/VRAM headroom. I’m at a loss of where to look at this point because outside of the Win 10 update I’ve made no other changes and have had essentially perfect performance now for many months.

Thanks

1 Like

To answer your question, there are a few reports of that:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/search?q=%23community-support%3Atech-support%20stutters%20Su12%20in%3Afirst

1 Like

I have seen during the past days that there´s an issue with full screen detection. At least I noticed screen was shortly resized during game loading when developer mode is active. Switching to windowed and back to fullscreen appears to solve it. It´s the first release where I see such bizarre behaviour but not the first one that reproduces any kind of issues related to full screen mode. Therefore stuttering could be reproduced if you are not using the regular full screen mode.

Cheers

1 Like

You dont mention your video card, unless I missed it. I have an RTX3030. Updated to the latest driver and started have many sim freezes on the ground and in flight. I rolled back to the previous driver and no freezing any more. If you have an nvidia card might try that. Let us know.

3080Ti FE. I have not changed the GPU driver since my optimizations were done in early Dec 2022 and have had essentially flawless performance in all Ultra since then, until around the time SU12 was installed. FWIW, which isn’t much, I’ve done the update to FSUIPC, deleted and rebuilt the RC, and cleaned the DX Shader Cache. This is a brand new, severe problem and I have no clues where to look since the only change done was a Win 10 update over 10D ago. I may be able to do a System Restore which I haven’t looked into yet but will when I return home.

Things like this are teaching me the value of regularly creating system restore points - especially when things are good.

1 Like

I had this yesterday on the fly-in at the second touch&go airport. Sound and image broke severely. DX12 was on. Specs in profile. Jayne was having the same issue at that exact time. She mentioned in the stream that her fps were breaking up exactly when I had serious trouble to keep the right glide path to the runway.

In reaction to @SaratogaPilot87 two posts below : this was my first flight of the day.

There are countless posts recently about stuttering since SU12 ive stopped using the sim now until things are fixed.

To me it seems it is happening only on the second flight of a simulator session.
Since the logbook doesn’t work at all when you simply continue a flight, I always return to the main menue.
Then I prepare the next flight including loading a flightplan from simbrief and setting my departure position to the gate/spot I had parked in the previous flight.
That second flight can be slightly jittery to totally unusable. No real pattern when one or the other happens.

Mostly I only have time for one flight so it is no big deal for me as such, but it is annoying since I did not have this until SU12.

Another thing ive noticed is major stuttering on take off and landing almost like ground physics is causing issues

Turning Off the Rolling Cache dramatically stopped my stutters ! (Win11 / Direct x12 / frame Generation on)

I experienced stuttering and screen tearing since SU12, using the latest NVIDIA driver 531.41. I have a 4080 GPU and am using DX12 with DLSS.
NVIDIA have introduced a hotfix driver, which I installed yesterday and, based purely on one flight in the Bae146, the stuttering and screen tearing have gone. Early days but so far I’m very pleased with the improvements.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5455/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-version-531.58

1 Like

This is my experience with SU12 - not sure if it’s exactly what you are describing. Note I first posted this during the beta testing of SU12 but I’m still seeing the spikes in the release.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/significant-cpu-usage-spikes-in-low-stress-areas-caused-by-rdr-thread/579146/8

Edit: I want to add that these spikes aren’t random but occur repeatedly at the same geographic location. So that does sound different to what you are seeing…

1 Like