Anyone figure out how to force MSFS to use more RAM?

On the dev mode counter?

Task manager

yea, one is lying, question is which and why?

Probably settings related
Configurations between machines and settings can swing all over the place

Interesting with the screenshot above, the cpu memory used was close to the gpu memory used

its not lieing. taks manager and riva tuner shows using all ramm with os. dev mode shows the amount of ramm used by mfs only

Hi Guys,

Just to clarify my statement earlier and attached below this, when you check memory usage the Taskmanager Process EXE of FS2020 does also include the Virtual Memory or Disk Cache and a bit more linked processes so technically yes it will show a bit above 7GB but that includes Mem and shared Swap File System cache, but Developer Mode only shows used in game RAM and VRAM so is more accurate to the limitation. Also some others like After Burner can show total memory including System ie W10 etc.

Statement:

MS/ASOBO have limited RAM and VIDEO Memory in the PC Version to Match the XBOX! It is hard coded to 6.8GB Available RAM and 6.5GB Video RAM to use and no more. Does not matter how much ram you have 16gb 32gb… or Video 8Gb 11GB. You will not be allowed to use it on a software level of the Sim.
    I see people increasing LOD to 4, 8 and more but it all has to squeeze in to 6.8GB of RAM and just means more is swapped in and out on the fly. Then take addons they have to now fit in to the 6.8GB Memory footprint as well. So this is causing more and more popping and pressure on the system. If you do not believe me run FPS in DEveloper mode and I defy anyone to get passed 7GB Memory and RAM its impossible. So load up large addons and increase your detail and textures and more swapping goes on and pressure on the system. Its the good old Memory Bottleneck in the software due to it been limited. Also why can we not see the graphic graph in delveloper mode? because it is FULL RED HARDLINING 100% all the time at maxxed out. So all they need to do is un stop the RAM and Video Limit they have applied to the coding. Please check on your system if you are unsure or dont believe about this.
1 Like

So can we make a vote to get asobo to let us use our bloody RAM?

3 Likes

If this has anything to do with an NDA and not sheer speculation, it shouldn’t be mentioned nor alluded to at all. I am curious however as to why you think PC games that are on console are limited by what that console can do, seeing as there have been a plethora of games in this category for many years.

1 Like

There is nothing stopping them checking for the amount of RAM (and VRAM) available, and then taking a slightly different path in the code accordingly.

So this is still one version, just with extra optimisations if resources are available. Standard practice in coding.

3 Likes

Well, i don’t really understand what you are trying to say. But as the scenery culling is one of the optimizations i can see how this is going to improve visuals for pc when it’s able to use more of it’s ram capicity, while still having higher frame rates as with the old method? I might be completely wrong ofcourse. But i think the low ram usage is partly to blame for higher distance lod’s can’t keep up while panning around because it’s only capable of storing a small amount of data in the available ram. Introducing stutters and textures/objects popping into frame.

Please be a whistle blower and let the world know the truth. Somehow, some way we, as one voice, must cause some change to this mess.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if we can vote just to use more ram…But we can certainly vote to fix the issues we now have that may be caused by this, I linked 2 above

smth about memory usage and optimisation

You understood me better than you think.

Asobo/ms had to pull more than on rabbit out of the cylinder to get this sim into the xbox. One task was to reduce the used amount of RAM to fit it to the consoles specs.

And - :mage: - tada, here we go. With all the benefits you note.

That still doesn’t mean that pc wil not be capable of higher ram usage in the future… The same version doesn’t mean that there can’t be features for pc specific that just don’t apply on xbox?. I mean… Doesn’t xbox use dx12 and pc is still using 11? I thought i read that somewhere.

I understand some of the anger around here. Asobo and MS were being “disingenuous” about their “optimizations”.

WIsh they just came out and said: "We need to get the Xbox launch zipped up ASAP, so we need to curtail RAM to 12-13 GB max. " I would have been OK with it. Honestly.

Ah i see​:+1::blush:

Not a screenshot by hand right now, but I can confirm that my RAM (I have 32 GB) is never loaded with more than ~7 GB

But as for VRAM, I saw 12GB (out of 24GB) and more used when I maxed out my settings and set all scales to 200 in game.

But yeah, reducing RAM use WHERE REQUIRED is a great thing, but shouldn’t be capped for those with powerful machines.

They simply have to introduce new settings.
Let there be a console preset, hard-coded, but give the PC users back the ability to adjust settings according to the hardware they have.

It is absurd to limit the software to the hardware capabilities of a console.

I’m pretty sure the instability of the latest build with all its hangs and crashes is closely tight to this issue as well.

Let’s hope this is just for now, as they ran out of time with the set release date and we will be provided with a proper update soon.

Because right now, I can barely complete a full IFR flight without either crashing on loading, in flight or on approach… :-/

1 Like

OK what about the difference in Vram?