New Nvidia drivers and DX12 in VR

I am using DX12 HP vr g2, amd fidelitysharpening 100 oxr 135 oxr tb NIS size 100 sharpnes 20 most other settings ultra LOD max. This gives between 30 and 43 fps. After the last Win11 update, dx11 is useless due to stuttering.

I have 3090ti and on DX12, the sim is using only 11-12gb of vram with LOD 350 and most settings on ultra. I am getting 2-3 fps less than DX11 though. Now, i need to try with new drivers.

Guess the next step will be to implement Direct Storage, that should be able to help out users with lower amounts of VRAM but with fast NVMe storage. I hope that will be part of the DX12 beta functionality some day. It can also help to reduce loading times even more (though they are already a lot better than before).

Right now I can run the sim in super smooth 2D with DX12 at around 60 FPS in most not too dense scenery areas. There’s no way to get it this smooth and fast in DX11 (before the studio driver it was the other way around). But in VR this performance all goes down the drain with DX12 because of the VRAM limitations of my videocard.

Hi All

G2, amd 5900, 3080ti, latest nv driver game ready, ncp locked at 30fps, dx12.
Fabulous,

I noticed that restarting vr while in sim caused horrible frames and increased vram usage, I noticed a difference between inside and out side the cockpit.

YOU MUST start OXR before starting the sim, cures most everything, no differences inside or out, vram is about 85%, rock solid 30 fps

Enjoy VR !!!

Thanks, based on the positive report about 3090 I have now been able to test with mine, Quest 2 max resolution via virtual desktop ultra, 10850k 32gb RAM. This was facing straight ahead on the runway at gatwick (heavy custom airport) with clear skies

DX11 Previous driver 516.59 33fps 11.3gb vram
DX11 Studio driver 517.40 32fps 11.5gb vram

DX12 Previous driver 516.59 28fps 12.2gb vram
DX12 Studio driver 517.40 30 fps 13gb vram
DX12 Game Ready Driver 517.48 30 fps 13gb vram

So this basic test didnt show any drastic changes, perhaps a couple of extra FPS on DX 12 but probably within margin of error on the testing. I will stick with DX12 for now and see if there is any noticeable change to general smoothness

Settings for all:

1 Like

You used the Studio Driver 517.40. As of today, there is a new “Game Ready” Driver v517.48… So maybe it is worth checking this out again.

See also

I’ve tried with the game ready drivers:

First SU10 beta was perfect in DX12

Subsequent SU10 beta’s and public release broke DX12 performance

This driver fixes SU10 DX12 performance with good frametimes, but the motion reprojection is out of sync causing bad frame pacing. DX12 always needed forcing of ASW with Oculus headsets but now if you force ASW it has to set a cap and this cap is fighting the frame rate cap in the engine. DX11 never had this issue and can perfectly co-exist with the auto ASW (motion reprojection), but DX11’s asset loading stuttering due to lack of good multi threading means it’s not really an option.

We are so close now :slight_smile:

Thanks I’ve now installed the Game Ready version as well and updated my post, I got the exact same FPS and VRAM as with the Studio Driver

1 Like

I’d be curious to see this experiment reproduced but testing DLSS vs TAA. I read on Reddit that this would supposedly help for the combo of DX12+DLSS. So I’m wondering if we’d see a big boost there vs. DX12+TAA vs. DX11+DLSS, and how DX11+DLSS compared to DX11+TAA.

I don’t use DLSS myself due to the problems when glass cockpits but might take a quick look next time .

I’m a bit wary of putting too much stock in this FPS and VRAM snapshot as well as they say nothing about stutters, impact of panning/ camera angle changes, more difficult weather conditions etc. It would be nice if there was a demo/benchmark mode that would stress test and give a performance report, to properly compare impact of software and hardware changes like this. Perhaps something similar could be done manually using replay mode - record a short clip with some aircraft movement and camera changes, then play it back with different settings/drivers and look at the total performance. Maybe one for a YouTuber to look at

1 Like

Big/interesting if true! Another reason to get a 4090 I guess

Just tested the latest gameready driver with dx12.

My conclusion is DX12 does not bring ANY benefit over dx11 and for me personally degrades performance so i deem it still being unusable.

I’m running MR, my framerate is locked to 31 in nvidia cp, my resolution is set to 3800x3800 per eye and i’m using OXR toolkit. Most options on high/ultra, DLSS is set to quality/balanced (depends). Testing in my local airfield on the ground:

• in dx11 i get appGPU 26k and appcpu around 8k, vram usage is around 8-9gb (out of 12). One airborne i get steady gpu frametime of hardly above 20k and cpu frametime is never above 10k. So around 20 ms gpu, below 10ms cpu. Framerate is constantly at 30fps MR and never falls below so i get very very little stutters (almost none) and practically zero artifacts.
  • in dx12 i get appgpu 29k-30k, and appcpu doesn’t wanna fall below 11k, vram is 99% at (10.5gb) and it feels like it would eat 50 gb if you had it. Framerate can’t either fall to 22.5 nor stick to 30fps, until i get to around 1000 feet high it’s sorta fluctuating between those two (could just lock it to 23fps but nah) and causes lots of stutters. Once i’m higher up i get steady and fluid gameplay.

So my experience at these settings doesn’t make me want to come anywhere near dx12 for now. There’s just something wrong with how it handles cpu and vram usage.

Cheers

i7-9700k, rtx 3080ti, G2

4 Likes

My stutters were always bad, especially approaching airports (AIG loading?). Some so bad my screen blacks out for a second.
Nvidia update and DX12 with DLSS seem the same for me. Its super clear and smooth at altitude, but experiencing same stutters and blackouts in dense areas. Also still the same blurry digits as I rotate dials. I’ll try back on DX11 to see you if that’s improved with this update.
(i9-12900, 3080, G2)

21, almost 22 gigs of VRAM in my 3090 which leaves very little left of VRAM * couple of gigs) and I am VERY happy about that, that MSFS finally can use up all my resources. DX12 =3090 anything less than 3090 stick to DX11.

2 Likes

Can I ask what location/aircraft/mods you are using to have VRAM that high?

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, I had same problem and bloom seems to have cured it! It is abug though, I do prefer Bloom on normally

I have to agree on this. You need high amounts of vram for dx12. But it’s still highly unoptimized in how this is done.

Sad to say I can’t even test DX12 with the Reverb G2 and the 3090. The game crashes (when spawned in) as soon as I enable VR. I reinstalled both the Open XR toolkit and the Open XR Developer tools, then tried it without the Open XR Developer tools disabled.

1 Like

I don’t have a 3090, but my 3080 Ti VRAM fills up almost immediately when loading in the Fenix at KATL in VR with an Oculus Quest 2.

Agree that VRAM usage is highly unoptimized right now. No way VRAM should fill up 10GB when I spawn in an aircraft (even the Fenix), just staring ahead at the wall of the terminal. There is work to be done, here.

Just FYI in case you didn’t try it yet, the latest version of the OXR toolkit has a frame throttling feature. It’s the same as locking FPS in Nvidia CP but acts on VR frames directly.

Thought you might want to try it instead of the Nvidia CP one…

I must admit I haven’t tried it yet myself :slightly_smiling_face:

Hope it helps!