Apparently 200% render scale in PC settings does wonders for VR performance

Increasing your VR rendering scale to 100 (assuming it was lower before) will have the obvious impact of improving visuals in VR at the cost of performance.

This “trick” is to keep your VR settings the same but increase your PC render scale to 200%.

Personally I see no difference and I’ve tested multiple areas and used drone cam to go up close to textures.

1 Like

Same here, all my testing, starting and restarting the SIM, and WMR, makes no difference with detail or sharpness for me with the Reverb G2.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m with you. Already looks amazing with G2.

Wish I could understand what all the fuss is about by seeing some actual evidence.

2 Likes

Same here, G2 , was already running 2d at 4k, so no difference.
Switched from 2080 to 3080 last night…pure joy !! This was the best trick to improve the VR experience.
There’s no magic, this simulator needs the horsepower to push the VR experience to an acceptable FPS.
I thought I had a good experience with the 2080, that extra 10-15fps or so is what makes it amazing for me now. Too bad it’s almost impossible to find one.

Wheelie can you try to set DSR though Nvidia drivers so you can have 4k resolution on your 1080p monitor?

Once that is done boot up MSFS, while in 2d make it 4k then go and start your flight and then enable Vr.

Now while in VR flying hit escape go make the change to 2D setting of render scale to 200.

If that doesn’t work, try to set the entire pc settings to ultra while in vR.

Just curious if these tips will help you.

I run 4k, G2, 3090 and see it.

Yeah idk, you don’t have to go up to textures to see It really.

It’s just a super sharp image.

I can’t wait till we get proper feed back on this.

2 Likes

Short of a through lens of before and after it’s tough to say, some have looked for any parameter changes in the files but none yet.

No doubt, something is changing, way to many folks being wowed and a bunch of them are skeptics.

But considering PC builds vary wildly with hardware and software we really need MS/ASOBO to give us feedback on this.

Hopefully it’s not a , well we don’t know lol.

I have seen folks who try and nothing and nothing and then after more tweaking or another it changes and they are mind blown.

2 Likes

I will try. Not sure when, as my sim time is very limited at the moment. But I will certainly give it a go :slight_smile:

Thanks!

FS2020 resets it to 100 for me. When I see the VR view doesn’t have the same sharpness I go set it back to 200 and all is good. FS2020 should not change user settings out from under you so there’s a whole other aspect to this issue that also needs to be fixed. But it does and I saw where one post said it happens if you make any other display settings changes but no idea what the actual trigger is.

The file being changed is UserCfg.opt. Some make and save the change then make that file read-only so FS2020 can’t change it but that also blocks any other settings changes kept in that file.

I don’t notice any real difference with this. In fact, I may be seeing additional stuttering, but I’m not 100% sure on this.

I’m wondering if this is a “bug” where some VR setting is inadvertently being tweaked along with the flat screen render scale, and that those who are NOT seeing any improvement here have already been using the optimal VR setting?

I was hoping to see some miraculous change, but to be perfectly honest, I’ve been happy with how my VR looks and performs for quite awhile now, after extensive tweaking and following the advice of @CptLucky8 and others. I haven’t had shimmering prior to this, and things in and out of the cockpit are as crisp and readable as I would expect from a Valve Index.

1 Like

Valve Index
RTX2070S (latest drivers always)
Ryzen 5 3600X
32GB Ram
Installed on a 1TB NVMe SSD

I’ve been away from MSFS2020 for a few months. I had been able to dial in my VR performance pretty good using a combination of settings found by reading posts on here, YouTube as well as my own trial and error. Although I was getting relatively smooth flying using almost exclusively the C152, I was never really satisfied with the visual quality. The buildings were a mess, the trees were weird and the roads were from a nightmare scape. Flying at above 5000 feet helped, but I wanted to fly low and slow.

So I switched to the Elite Dangerous VR grind. But all the while, I always kept an eye on this forum as well as the MSFS subreddit… looking for a breakthrough… a new patch, sim/world update that would bring the VR visuals to where I wanted them to be. I was just seeing the usual posts from users with 3080s and 3090s (… and by the way…WHERE IS EVERYONE GETTING THE 30 SERIES CARDS???), but not seeing or reading anything making me want to come back just yet.

Then that YouTube video popped up in my feed and I gave it a watch. I was intrigued but skeptical. The comments were also very intriguing… I clicked over to this forum and low and behold a post with over 200 comments talking about this “one weird trick”. I had to try…

Oh no… I had done a full Steam re-install a month or so ago… I had to re-install the sim. A full day of waiting…

Then I jumped in. I wanted to see where I was at. I verified my settings and made sure I was dialed in pretty much like I had it a few months ago. Low to medium… several lighting effects off. Clear skies, no AI. Bare bones as usual. Made a few flights… yeah, pretty much how I remember it. Pretty good! relatively smooth… good aircraft interior resolution. But mediocre visuals.

Then I pushed the PC render scale to 200. Jumped in to VR… meh… ok, about the same… are the trees a bit better? maybe? the buildings? maybe? hmmm. I fiddled around a bit more. I pumped the PC side to ULTRA on everything. Full screen, 1440p, everything maxed. Jump into VR… meh. Is it better? I don’t think so really.

I then go into the VR settings… I say F* it. I push nearly all settings to ULTRA… max the texture… leave the VR render scale to 100. (I had my frames locked to 22.5 at 90mhz in SteamVR). I verify that PC is still fully maxed.

Ok, set up a flight just outside Chicago. FLY.

Oh… I see waves… I see trees like I’ve never seen, the buildings are still a bit weird, but waaay better… what’s happening!?! It’s not a smooooth ride… but it’s fricking playable! I’m still hitting my 22.5 FPS… the cockpit is so clear… the plastic textures… the gauges… whoa.

I jump out and tune down the VR settings a bit… mostly HIGH some ULTRA (trees) with only a few Medium. I go back and forth… settle on 24FPS locked at 120mhz… flying out of Innsbruck, following the valley at sunrise. Tweaking the odd setting. WOW.

I don’t care if you thing this is all in our heads or its a placebo. IT IS NOT… something happened. There is some cross talk between the PC and VR settings…

The feeling of realism looking at the houses, trees, streams and fields is like nothing I’ve experienced in this sim before in VR.

I honestly think this is how it was SUPPOSED to be from the start… someone messed up over there and we just happened to plug the right wire back in and it works. Now they can “fix” it so we get this level of performance by default.

Sorry for the long post… I was tired of the 1 line posts of: “… tried it. didn’t work…”

Matt

6 Likes

Tap… Tap… Tap… Paging Microsoft and Asobo…

Any comment at all on this to clear things up?

Bueller…?

2 Likes

This should be definitely Microsoft/Asabos’s priority. As VR users we had been waiting for so long to get sharper image and smooth performance and no upcoming things on the horizon (as written on dev updates).

There’s definitely something wrong or needs to be checked with settings, i don’t believe this may be a placebo, even the smallest improvement on visuals are noticable to my eyes. Especially distance and cockpit gauges.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. To be clear, you cranked all your VR settings to the max including bumping the render scale to 100% - the sim now looks amazing.

What happens now if you revert PC render scale to 100% - looks same or worse?

I initially cranked all VR settings to max ULTRA. It was playable and I was maintaining my FPS (something that would have been unheard of with my 2070S)… but it was not very smooth. This was my “AHA!” moment. The PC render scale to 200 (for me anyway) didn’t necessarily change much in VR while I still had my minimal settings of low to medium and lighting effects off (I think this may be what is happening to the users that don’t see a difference)… what it did was raise my performance ceiling and allowed me to raise my VR settings substantially without affecting my performance, thus giving me amazing clarity and sharpness.

After trying the max ULTRA in VR I lowered my VR settings a bit (but still waaay higher then I was able to before). This gave me very smooth movement (virtually no stutter or jitters) with very good visuals.

2 Likes

Got it. Thank you.

However while still keeping PC render scale to 200% or reverting it back to 100%?

2 Likes

I wasn’t gonna bother with this anymore but have tried various things out of curiosity. I just did the same as the guy above but no change, no matter what I try I’m not seeing the difference!

1 Like

While maintaining PC render scale at 200. And although I’ve read others have noticed it revert back to 100, mine has stayed at 200 even after a couple of reboots.

Are you sure it’s the PC render scale allowing you the headroom for the graphics tweaks in VR?? I have almost the same specs as you, but my CPU is i7 9700K. I have been using a mix of ultra and high settings in VR since day one, with all the realism you mentioned, and good framerates. Changing PC render scale to 200% didn’t really do anything to display quality for me.

If you put your PC render scale back to whatever it was before, but keep your VR settings where they are what happens?

2 Likes