Apparently 200% render scale in PC settings does wonders for VR performance

It doesn’t change anything for me, 100, 200, whatever I select in PC mode doesn’t affect VR, which makes sense. I guess my settings were already good.

Wow only just found this post and my VR in places that used to stutter is stutter free ! Thankyou for the tip.

Has Asobo actually explained why this works?

Nope. They are slammed right now with XBox but someone said they are aware.

I would bet it gets priority attention. What software company wouldn’t want a free huge increase in visual quality for sorting their code?

1 Like

they’re not going to do anything about it, it will be rendered (pun intended) moot by the update on July 27

1 Like

Pretty much this…as I wouldn’t expect them to make it a priority.

1 Like

And… the negative Nancy’s are here!

I tried this a week or so ago - saw no difference is my framerate, stuttering, or image quality, which is kind of what I expected. Performance is already pretty decent though. Just waiting on the 27th now with baited breath!

I’m right there with you brother! Though this “trick” did make my visuals way clearer. It is like before the 200 render scale trick, I needed glasses in the cockpit, but after, it’s as if someone went and got them for me.

Kev

1 Like

I’d still like to know why it works!

I’d like to know why it doesn’t work for everyone!

1 Like

There are so many settings to tweak this game that it’s likely that simply turning up the render resolution in 2d is having no effect because of the other settings people have. The effect for me is more like everything is in focus now, before it was just a little bit off and removes the need to use the debug tool or tray tool for the Oculus at least.

1 Like

Only a guess but it looks like it might be a programming error that luckily has a workaround. I suspect it doesn’t work for some with high res monitors because their render resolution in PC mode is 100% of an already big number. At least in my case, my monitor is lower pixels than my VR headset so upping the PC render resolution gets me closer to proper native resolution in VR (again, assuming they are using the PC render resolution variable somewhere that ought to be using VR render resolution and pixel dimensions.

But the major thing is we don’t know for certain why this works on some systems and not on others. It’s all guesswork. There could even be placebo effects working for some users both ways - seeing it when not there, and not seeing it when it is depending on how much of an effect is present. I suspect in my case it’s close to a factor of two on pixels so I see about 1.4 increase in resolution (square root of 2). It’s visible and noticeable but not huge. And hopefully not placebo but it looks real to me.

I tried hard, believe me, to see any difference with the PC render scale trick. I used to know each component of my system and monitor regularly all.
For me I really have 0 difference on clarity or performance, not even a notch.
My monitor is an old LCD Samsung TV 42" 1920x1080, and my headset is Oculus Rift CV1 which have a bigger resolution then the monitor vertically at least, horizontally if we count both eyes (1080x1200 per eye).
I usually have PC RenderScale to 100% and VR RenderScale to 70%, with a supersampling (through ODT) of 1.7.
I tried tons of combination, removing the supersampling, VR RenderScale to 100, etc. and each time switching from PC RenderScale between 100 and 200 did nothing. Done from VR, done outside VR, done after starting VR right when MSFS main menu appear, right after plane appear on tarmac, during fly, etc.

I honestly think I tried all possibilities :wink:

My hope is they find the cause and make it available for everybody! :+1: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Did someone test the opposite? Like the PC render scale to 10 or something and experience much worse graphics in VR?

Are many others with the CV1 seeing it? The early headsets aren’t that high of resolution and you might be already rendering near 100% on it. But until we hear something official it’s hard to know what’s going on.

Don’t know. Would be interesting.

All - for what it’s worth, I am getting significantly better performance AND clarity by setting the PC Render to 200 and VR to 80… I am running an X570MB, R7 5800X, 32GB 3200, and a 6GB GTX-1060. Amazing difference. I still get a little jerky when landing or in dense airports, but man - way better. I run buildings and water at high, clouds at ultra and the rest low (TAA aliasing). I’m getting an RX 6800 next week… should be able to bump things up… (Oh yeah - forgot… Quest 2).

Don’t know if other CV1 users can see an improvement. I render more than my native resolution usually and E.g. can catch the difference between supersampling 1.6 and 1.7, or VR RenderScale 70 vs 80 etc. I know my good old headset very well and when I said I can’t catch any clarity difference with 200% PC Render Scale I’m 100% sure (sadly :sleepy: )

I also tried all extreme settings for PC Render Scale, from the minimum 30 to 200 step by step (granularity 10).

For the record, the CV1 have 2 screens 1080x1200.
With all default, TAA 100%, no SS, game render at 1344x1600 per eye and send to the headset 1344x1600 (bigger than native resolution due to roughly the FOV).

And my usual settings are TAA 70% with ODT at 1.7 so game is rendered at 1590x1892 per eye and up-scaled at 2272x2704.

When I said I tried all, man, yeah, I tried all :crazy_face:

I’m not doubting that you tried it all. I just don’t know that many CV1 users are seeing the effect since the headset is fairly low resolution anyway. You already have things turned up. I think you are just limited by the headset. Maybe other CV1 users see the effect - I just don’t know.

As an aside, headset manufacturers tend to quote both eyes together but that isn’t correct when looking at the resolution you see. Use only single eye / single panel numbers for that. HP likes to claim the Reverb is 4kx2k too but you don’t see 4k. Each eye sees 2kx2k - not 4kx2k. Total pixel counts matter for the work the CPU and GPU do, but not what you see since each eye gets its own panel.

1 Like

Yeah, CV1 here. Don’t really notice any difference that couldn’t be chalked up to placebo effect. But I’m glad other people are seeing an effect and Sim Update 5 at the end of this month should change the landscape for the better.