Application hangs when loading a flight "Fly"

this thing has been a mess since day 1. Its a frustrating, unstable platform. I get random crashes all of a sudden the last few days, sometimes on the menu screen, sometimes loading a flight, it doesn’t matter. Overall, I’ve had lots of ctd’s over the past year. But lately hardly any. But a few days ago it started again . I am on the beta, maybe that has something to do with it. latest nvidia driver installed, etc. I run restoro to clean up, nothing matters. There’s just too much going on at once for stability. There’s too many dynamics, as they are always changing versions…just impossible to pinpoint and get a normal stable sim.

Yup - I have a tech background of more than 45 yrs. I’ve trawled through relevant mmc modules to no avail. Thanks for the heads-up tho - I will go over it again and post any new findings.

OK - here’s one possible solution …

Has anyone tried the Google Maps Mod? I’m wondering if this is responsible for the hangups? I tried it, initially it caused some issues so I uninstalled. This of course may just be coincidental? Update: OK - a result for me! … I failed to remove two lines from the Windows hosts file after I uninstalled the Google Maps Mod - this may have been addressed on newer versions however, I removed the two lines, rebuilt the Windows hosts file, rebooted my PC. All now working fine. I would recommend checking your hosts file.

To restore the previos state, please delete the following two lines from:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file:

127.0.0.1 kh.ssl.ak.tiles.virtualearth.net
127.0.0.1 khstorelive.azureedge.net

I hope that helps some of you!
JetFlyUK

2 Likes

does anyone know what file this points to?..mine and maybe other peoples crashes are caused by this…

FlightSimulator.exe
ntdll.dll
22eb3761
c0000006
00000000000390f9
254c
01d7f83285262a31
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.18.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
452d54ed-b793-4716-8397-cc42c3f6d5f1
Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.21.18.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
App

I have this same blue-line stall while loading a flight - just in the last two days. I have removed Community folder, repaired the sim, reinstalled the whole sim, all with no improvement. It happens in safe mode as well as normal. It also happens whether I am in Administrator mode or not. None of the above seem to apply to my installation. Where is Microsoft? Asobo? Anyone listening? It would be nice to at least have an acknowledgement that you are working on this problem. Please?

1 Like

Try sfc /scannow. Then reboot

Fantastic, Ken - huge thanks and a high five! It worked! Just had to run the Command Line app as administrator.

may be some what with your network connection ?

And Ken… again the hint… for BETA release of MSFS we have an own category: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/decupdateflight/295

A BETA is a Pre-Release which can come with issues and developers await in this case a feedback from you. If you not want accept this, then please not use the BETA release :wink:

Well that was a short-lived solution! I got one flight done, but now the sim is locking up on the blue line again and scannow is not finding any errors. Any further suggestions?

Well that was a short-lived solution! I got one flight done, but now the sim is locking up on the blue line again and scannow is not finding any errors. Any further suggestions?

So, someone told me to try turning Photogrammetry “OFF” and that work for me.

The sim loaded normally and worked great. The downside of course if there is no photo scenery. I need to really get to the bottom as to why Photogrammetry stopped working since I changed absolutely nothing on my end. There are lots of communications on the topic in the forums about this feature causing lots of problems. Seems to be an issue with the MS Server (Xbox game) which should be fixed by MS.

Will continue to follow up on this to get a final resolution, since this is just a temporary workaround to get the sim up and running to do basic flying.

Thanks again.

So, someone told me to try turning Photogrammetry "OFF” and that work for me. Do try that If you haven’t already. Check out my very last post on this.

I also have an IT background and spent the last 3 days trying to troubleshoot this issue. It’s incredibly frustrating.

1 Like

That hasn’t worked for me. I will try turning off all but the most basic online functions and see what that does.

Same thing here. It is very odd, game was fine, went to main screen to load another flight, then the dreaded hang up at 3/4s of the loading a flight. Has not worked since. I am using windows 10, only change was a new update for windows 10. I removed that update, no luck. Very frustrating indeed.

1 Like

I did get Rex Accuseason a couple days ago, just uninstalled completely and will see if that makes a difference…

I turned off online functionality. Flight loaded. I was able to load bing maps and stuff. Went back to main menu and it hung again with fuctions ON. Might have to start for now without online functions and add after flight loads…

the BIG one to run is…

Running DISM via this line in the command prompt: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

And SFC scan fix using sfc/scannow

They are good options to clean and replace missing .dll files, etc. I think MSFS messes with windows files each time it is run, and running those help get things where they belong again.

ALSO, make sure to run as administrator

Don’t forget to restart your PC.

Yeah, this MSFS is a mess, lets face it. And I have the beta version, which makes things worse. I just got a freeze and CTD a minute after I was on the runway.

Run those two scans mentioned above before starting msfs every time. See if that helps

@CosmicSquash755, sorry my workaround didn’t work for you. Who knows what other problems I would run into once I start flying since I finally have it up and running.

Besides the fact that I have an IT background like you do I purposely get a brand new PC with high end specs just for MSFS2020. FSX and P3D are installed on my older PC and I purposely did not load any of those over to my New PC since I wanted it to be very clean with no potential conflicts.

My PC was 4 days old (didn’t do anything but an OS update which was required) before installing the sim. I made sure I didn’t load anything whatsoever (no NVIDIA updates etc) no add-on, nothing, the system was and still is barebones. Everything worked fine for about 3 weeks (granted I only flew 4 times during that timeframe); and out of the blue the problem started occurring. The frustrating part is I have nothing to uninstalling (that could cause the problem) since there is nothing I installed since I purchased the PC and loaded the Sim :grinning:

IMHO I think that MS released this sim a little prematurely without having the appropriate infrastructure to support the produce and all the Users. Their Servers and or Xbox system was and is good for their games but not for the sim since this is much different, which I think they already know. There are so many variables involved.

Interesting thing is they marketed this product as a “Game” which it really isn’t; I guess to get the sales.

Hopefully they will start addressing some of these issues to get us all up and running in a stable environment. The product itself is great and has fantastic potential especially as add-ons such as PMDG and QW etc…etc. becomes available down the line.

Will still continue to chase this issue down since the only thing I am doing is a workaround without Photogrammetry.

Cheers.