Arcade players are annoying

It’s a game for everyone to enjoy in their own way

9 Likes

Indeed, you can’t force everything. Nor should we. For that, 3rd party private communities works great.

But for more casual simmers that want a little bit more serious gameplay, it might be great to have a separate live player lobby option. A true to life lobby, which locks down assistance settings and prevent runway and mid-air spawns, might be just enough moderatation to keep frustration at bay. Indeed players can always intentionally choose to fool around, but at least they’ll need to go through boring cold and dark startup. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I suspect that even vatsim might have the situation where there aren’t any unoccupied parking spots/ramps available at a given airport, but in the absence of a queuing system on the “start flight” function, i guess they just deal with it, perhaps by relying on players closing their session if they drop on top of another player?

2 Likes

You know you can turn off multiplayer and have AI traffic only right?

[Edit]

Also as a real pilot, I am offended you are calling me an “arcade player.”

To further add to this discussion. It would be great if Asobo would add multiplayer ATC. I should be able to hear other radio calls made in CTAF or on frequency through the ATC menu, even if there isn’t a proper VOIP solution at this time. I also wouldn’t mind a restriction forcing live players to spawn at a gate or parking place.

6 Likes

Source? That’s completely false btw. The complexity of the sim and its under hood systems (ready or not, finished or not) directly disprove this. Read some developer accounts how Ms/Asobo approached veteran devs and asked for their inputs how they can make it, so that the 3rd parties can develop the best add-ons possible. Doesn’t sound like an effort you’d undertake if all you wanted is an arcade game. If it was arcade, how come they stated: “first and foremost, this is a simulator for pc” If it was MEANT TO BE a GAME it would have been released on Xbox first and not PC. There isn’t even a release date for Xbox. Mobile and Console gaming is where the MONEY is at, not PC simming. On top of that: does an arcade game need “dynamic airmass simulation”? Does a game need a 1000-point flightmodel and accurate friction? Does an arcade game need Airac cycles and nav data, Vatsim or a professional weather company as partner? How come this “arcade game” released without choppers? Even GtaV has choppers. Does an arcade game release without a single player mode, a story and detailed missions to “play”? It’s not an arcade game, it’s a simulator first and foremost. Think before writing such nonsense.

9 Likes

Perhaps in the future, the game will allow private servers where you can play with yourselves.

3 Likes

If someone doesn’t know what they’re doing, then they have no business on Vatsim. I know that may keep aspiring pilots away, but Vatsim (for the most part) has done a good job of protecting the integrity of its platform and they have very little tolerance for screw ups. I got blasted once because I didn’t use correct terminology and it made me upset. After thinking about it for awhile, I understood because Vatsim tries to keep it as real to life as possible.

thanks for making it a lot less daunting

Edit: I wonder if the IVAO community might be a bit more welcoming of new pilots?

4 Likes

ATC must be fixed first.
I get permission to land on almost every runway even with a aircraft take off in the other direction

7 Likes

Was that AI or players? I find if AI is taking off or landing you are patterned or told to go around, ATC is happy to let 747’s land on you though if they are players

1 Like

10% i get a go around. 90% im goog to land. Actually i don’t know if AI or live players. I’ve turnded the markers off. And my settings is on !All Players"

1 Like

Yeah i think ATC only acknowledges AI. For example if i get near AI ATC will warn me and ask me to confirm i have it in sight. If a player airbus decides to fly through me ATC says nothing.

1 Like

same here. Don’t know if that is a bug. Because ATC should recognize both in my opinion. But let’s see what the patches will improve

2 Likes

yeah basically first come first served. if you spawn on top of someone at a gate, you just move over (slew). i dont even know if its an official policy its just good manners :slight_smile:

1 Like

Disagree. Perhaps people really want the experience, they really want to learn it and have that level of detail but have never done it before, are not real life pilots but want in. So they do loads of research, sign up, do the test watch tutorials but until you actual jump onto Vatsim you’ll never really learn.

Its like people saying “I wanna learn to drive but I’m a bit anxious to get in a car” and the instructor saying “Correct if you don’t know how to drive you have no place getting into a car”. Can read up all you want on how a car works until you start driving it you will not learn how to drive.

8 Likes

For me it would already be significantly better if you are not allowed to spawn on the runway with life traffic. Then normal fun players can do a bit of taxiing and aren’t bothered by it, and at least you don’t see a 747 spawn just as you pass the threshold

1 Like

He said “arcade players” not arcade game. There is a world of difference.
Compared to P3D - this is more game than simulator. FS9 was more simulator.

4 Likes

I don’t think Vatsim is the place to learn. I think Vatsim is geared toward real world pilots who know what they’re doing and don’t want folks in there who don’t know what they’re doing. It takes away from
the experience Vatsim was designed to bring in the first place.

So what you’re actually saying is Vatsim should only be used by real world pilots? I didn’t read that in the rules.

Interesting statement considering there is more “simulation” going on here than with P3D and FS9. Most probably one of the reasons why there are quite some issues. More “moving parts” … more potential for things breaking. With this software people seem to confuse “simplicity” (arcadish) with “broken parts” (simulations not quite polished yet)