Are cloud bases in new METAR system in AGL or MSL?

CYGV has ovc017 right now. But meteoblue has lower cloud height than that predicted.

To me it seems like it’s the METAR clouds. Here near the airport clouds should start at 400AGL but are in the ground:

This is a bit away from the airport and the cloudbase seems to be above the ground, on the ground is only haze because of the 3100M visibility:

cygv

I think it looks like it is the problem. What do you think? I think yours should be a bit higher though? Or mine a bit lower. I don’t know realy. It looks nice with some overcast.

This is over the clouds

AT CYKO

Not overcast there but it snowing

I think that will certainly be the cause. And if it should be so, a hotfix should not be so difficult.

1 Like

At CYMT OVC019

You can test the cloud height by pressing Y (or Z) and putting the plane under the cloud base.

1 Like

The overcast thing i can understand because weather is dynamic, they have to do some blending to make it look realistic, and it won’t stay overcast forever. But the level of the clouds is a problem because these clouds can’t exist at ground level in real life. You can’t prepare your flight if all clouds are too low. Both VFR flying and IFR approaches become a problem when a cloud is covering a runway.

But sometimes i see a difference bigger than 1640 ft so maybe there is more going on:

Cloud base at 1600 ft instead of 4900ft AGL.

1 Like

I can’t realy see the cloud base. I think it’s somewhere near ground. Or have i wrong. Look at it and say what you think.

Really hard to say, I guess also just above the ground. I also take a measurement at another place.

Maybe they have some dynamic range of it? Maybe it’s not always at the exact height what METAR says? Maybe it should be at the exact height but METAR do not always match. If they thought about that i think is good. I don’t realy know actually.

Very thin layer of overcast here thats why it’s hard to tell where the base is i think.

Looks real good from above the clouds

1 Like

How can we mark the issue then to let the devs know about it?

EDDL Field Elevation: 147 ft

METAR: FEW 015

Actual height: 1000 ft

I think they should really take a look at this thread here. that should say it all.

Small deviations in elevation are also not so important to me, but they really should NOT be stuck in the ground.

2 Likes

Good work we helped them a bit to find the problem then :slight_smile: Hope we not need to have this fixed until february though. This should be a hotfix fixing it. It’s an important fix!

@OlieTsubasa443 @Hester40MT please pass this onto the devs if you can

@perrry @utd4life12 @ual763
When resolves are found by the community, we all can assist by having the OP of each bug topic, edit their first post with a link to the post or posts of the resolves and/or add more feedback to that first post.

This topic is already logged - so having that first post updated will be great assistance.

2 Likes

I look forward to seeing “bug logged” next to this topic ASAP.

We, the paying customers and end users, have yet again identified the problem and to some extent the cause. We have done our bit, now we should not have to wait until February when they said the next update is, to get this fixed.

Thanks.

3 Likes