Are people too thin skinned?

Hi, yes,

it can’t be because in case of received last warninig before your definitive account suspension from Mods :wink: You can only ask, what is matter here??? I know also this feeling although I don’t feel that I never abuse any of users here, it’s individual feeling.

1 Like

Perhaps “dictatorship” was not the best choice of word, although a benign dictatorship is not necessarily a bad thing.
What I meant, was that forum members cannot really be allowed to define the way that the forum is moderated, for the reason outlined and broadly agreed above, the almost infinite personal variations on what is the right way to do things.
My main point is that moderators need to have the final say and in the event that the forum member does not like the decision, something that will inevitably happen from time to time, that forum member should just accept the decision and move on.

2 Likes

“Oooshh”, quod he, with a sharpe intake of breethe to boot!

My apologies to Chaucer for “mangerling” his language

2 Likes

Maybe roasting happens because the delivered quality is not good, not because the people is rude or does not know to follow code of conduct. If you expect clapping when you fail you may be having wrong expectations. Happy customers never complain. Good quality always results in respect and nice supporting words.

Cheers

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’ve always enjoyed your posts and agree with much of what you say.

2 Likes

Okay ‘Pilgrim’, it looks like I’m going to have to flag you for going off thread.

You have been warned!

Ha … only kidding :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes
  • flags this post *
2 Likes

Sorry to interrupt here but there is no “happy customer”. I guess everyone that stays in touch with any kind of customers knows these simply do not exist.

Especially in a topic that complex as simulate something everyone has his independent point of view as there are always the “stick to numbers” guys vs. the “feels realistic” crowds (in this case when it comes to flight model behaviour) to worsen this there are home cockpit guys vs. “I fly using mouse and keyboard”. You simply cannot please everyone out there.

One thing to keep in mind at the whole discussion is that most of the moderators over here are not employees of Microsoft or Asobo but volunteers and that everyone can actually flag a post so it gets hidden. One reason this happens is by simply going offtopic which might be the reason most of the times.

If a post is good and well received by the community it still may be something about a completely different topic which is against the CoC to which in theory every forums user commits by joining the forums and accepting the rules. If the user violates the rules posts get flagged and even removed, that’s the deal. If someone is against this decision he can still reach out to a moderator by DM to seek for a solution.

Anyway, knowing other forums this one over here tolerates much more :wink: e.g. try to post “MSFS seems equal to XP when it comes down to flying” over at “the org” and see what happens.

5 Likes

Your all missing an important point thats older then the net itself and goes back to the days of BBS systems. It reads

My system my rules.

Forums are not democracies, they are controlled and regulated by the people that own them and run them. Simple as that. The simple fact of the matter is, that if you dont like or cant abide by the rules then dont use the system.

Hell Ive made it to banned status a couple of months ago, I get censored on a fairly regular basis, but again there system there rules. If my posts get flagged I dont delete them, they are there for anyone to see. All they have to do is click on the hidden msg button on the post. If you agree with the post vote it up, if you dont then move on.

If enough people that are offended by the moderation of the fourms, quit using the forums, then sooner or later someones going to say “Hey why is no one posting on our system?” and do something to change it.

7 Likes

Happy customers exist. I never complain to my services providers. I use internet or turn on lights and this works everyday. I may be still a happy customer if I face some delays when travelling or some bugs when using a SW. There’s a logic failure margin you can accept, provided that this is not systematic.

However I’m not happy at all when I see that MSFS still has the same errors in core portions of the SW for 2 years. Even if I’m willing to support them by purchasing new content, because I still understand the difference between complaining and pure ranting, I will not accept to pay and just receive something not working or an online service which is not available systematically. Then I will complain for sure.

The focus should not be on how often me or others complain, or the words they use for the complaints. The focus should be on why this SW reliability and its related services reliability are so low and have not improved during 2 years. If those figures were better we won’t see any post about that in the forum. Till that happens they will still need a fix and you can therefore expect complaints.

Cheers

4 Likes

And, going back to the days of BBS’s, I referred to that as “SYSOP’s disease” - thinking that you’re God simply because you run a BBS.

I’ve run BBS’s and it has been my policy that it’s the users that make the difference between success or failure.  Provide a comfortable, welcoming environment, (with perhaps a few “netiquette” hints gently offered to the newbies), and you have a successful and popular BBS.  Rule with an iron hand and peeve everyone off, and it dies.

Of course there have to be some rules, (no pirated software, no trolls, etc.), but beyond that you let things settle themselves into a pattern and environment that the user-base is happy with.

3 Likes

It’s a complex discussion, and the fact is that everyone has different opinions on what can be deemed to be offensive. Something that offends one person may not offend me, and vice versa. I’m pretty thick skinned, and if someone insults me, I consider myself pretty adept with comebacks. However, I realise many would see this as an immature course of action, and I tend not to do it, as I’m a firm believer in “their platform, their rules”. No is forcing me to use a particular platform against my will. But if I want to use it then I’ll do my best to abide by the rules of that platform.

Having said all that, I draw the line at hate speech. And I also believe that everyone should take the same approach (thankfully most normal people do). No time for racism, homophobia, transphobia, sexism etc, and I will never apologise for calling people out on it.

5 Likes

And thats fine, I ran several bbs’s back in the day, the rules we’re different for each system. I had one system using ‘doors’ where you actually had to take a ‘Tech IQ’ test to even get you past the front door, and even if you answered everything correctly, other memebers of the board got the final nay or yay on the new applicant.

But it still boils down to my system my rules, Im the one putting out the bucks and knowledge to run the system the way I want it run. If I dont like you, your thought patterns, or even that wart on your face, bye bye your gone. 'p

2 Likes

This forum faced an angry crowd when it opened, people who were promised a great sim with flashy trailers and lying youtube „influencers“. Btw, funny that all these promotional videos I saw that straightout lied to me are gone, diaappeared just after the sim released. These angry people stormed this forum and let out their frustration that was caused by the very same company that runs this forum. The rules in here were significantly less strict in the beginning but those angry people were quickly muted by new regulations and flagged and deleted comments. Half a year after the sim‘s release this forum was tidied up.

Sure, people ARE thin skinned today, you can‘t say anything and can‘t give anything a product name without anyone having their feelings hurt but that‘s barely their fault. It‘s a system that takes care of any „offender“ immediately, either by sanctioning them or by making a media tantrum. There are people who were given power over other people and some of them abuse it. There are people who use this system to their benefit and then there is the majority who gets frustrated more and more about it and becomes even more vocal and in some extent extrem, politically or with their behaviour. It‘s a global problem, not a single forum‘s rules. The rules are a consequence of a world of selfishness instead of cooperation.

1 Like

Agree 100% :+1: :+1:

No users, No forum, No point.

That’s the way I see it at any rate :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh, ic lufie Chaucer!

(That’s English, by the way. Just very old English. :smile:)

3 Likes

Lame users, lame forums, no point? Whats the point of running a forum or bbs if its filled with nothing but lame users, unless of course thats the point of the board.

I know on these forums I cant count how many time people ask stupid questions because apparently, they cant use a search engine either in the forums or the net to find a solution to their problem. Or someone posts about a new video driver being released, and the the subsequent string of messages from people asking is it any good blah blah blah, if you want to know if its any good “Install it yourself and find out”,
ya know? Bwhahahaah

The downside to the heavy handed moderating of this forum, via bot, flagging, and human mods, is that often times, the opposite outcome is achieved.

Having a post hidden is annoying, especially when you are trying to help someone. There are many times now, when I’ve seen someone struggling with a problem, that I know a work around for, but I choose to just move on, and not post a possible solution for them…because of the moderation. I don’t want to waste my time, typing out a lengthy reply to help, only to have it hidden, for an undisclosed reason, so I just let the person wait for another good Samaritan to come along.

The forum flagging feature, and the inability to cast a down vote on feature/bug threads, are the two biggest downsides to these forums.

7 Likes

Why the angry reply ??? I thought this was a friendly discussion. Well, it is to me at least.

Anyway, I think you missed my point(s).

Perhaps read again maybe a little more carefully? :slightly_smiling_face:

And where did I ever say lame users?

Looks to me like you are re writing my post for your own benefit.

Naughty naughty

1 Like

Got banned from Twitter this morning.

3 Likes