Are there any tutorials out there for help in shooting an ILS approach in the Embraer Bandeirante?

Although I find it one of the easiest and most forgiving aircraft to fly in MSFS I am having trouble with IFR approaches. Anyone got any suggestions?

Hi
A little more info would help in trying to help you, what specific issues do you have with ILS approaches ?..I would hazard a guess that it’s probably and issue with the In-Sim ATC rather the excellent Banderiante.

I’m flying ILS approaches with it, the only issues are as I say incorrect procedures and instructions from ATC

Ex Tenebris

I’m having an issue also. Probably me missing something, but I can’t seem to capture the glide slope.

Forgive if I’m stating the obvious here.

You have the ILS frequency tuned into Nav 1 of the upper GNS?

You’ve got the approach loaded and active in the GNS? I believe in the lower left of the GNS display it will say APPR when active.

You’ve pressed the, I think, APR button on the Autopilot if you’re using it to take you to the runway? I do this pretty late, when I’m sure the aircraft is lined up with the runway. Otherwise, leave it in NAV mode until you are.

Check that you’ve got the horizontal and vertical green triangle GS position markers in the Attitude Direction Indicator. The Red GS flags will also clear, indicating you’ve captured it.

There are two switches that toggle the Radio Magnetic Indicator needles between ADF and NAV. Set them to NAV. See if you’re getting the ILS signal by watching for the needle to indicate the ILS heading for NAV 1.

Also, on the HSI there is a little switch to the right of the heading bug knob (one on the right) that toggles the green flag between NAV and ADF, I think. I’m not at the sim right now, but it does have two modes, I just can’t recall what their labels are.

I’ve also found that it will take longer than expected to drop the ALT Hold mode and start descending down the glide slope. This threw me the first time I tried an ILS landing and I ended up shutting off the AP early and hand flying. Be patient with it. Maybe on your next try, get to full flaps early and fly slowly so you can have a chance to breathe and make sure all is going to plan.

It also doesn’t seem to follow the GS with laser focus like some of the other aircraft. Specifically, I note the vertical will often be a bit off.

It has worked excellent for me every time other than that first when I didn’t trust it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. That’s a great help. I’m a beginner and was just relying on the plan and approach from the world map. Will have another play around tonight.

:+1:

Today, I was on final and it didn’t disengage ALT Hold and flew right over the runway at 3000 ft.

I’ve been trying some final approaches since then (starting in flight 20+ miles out) and it’s not entirely clear to me what the correct procedure is regarding ALT Hold.

Once APR has been pressed, it is impossible to manually toggle off ALT Hold. You’d have to toggle off APR, then toggle off ALT and then toggle APR back on.

What isn’t quite clear is what we are “meant” to do. As I stated earlier, I’ve definitely had the AP automatically disengage ALT Hold and start descending on the GS, albeit it was a bit tardy in doing so.

Bear all this in mind.

What is so frustrating about the sim is not knowing what is a bug, what is a limitation of the simulated equipment (like limited functionality within the GNS430/530 itself — flight plan waypoint Direct To, looking at you, grumble), what is pilot error, etc.