Are there plans to improve the DLSS implementation, and update it as new versions are released?

While the DLSS implementation we have in the Sim Update 10 is very good and an improvement over the TAAU when it comes to upsampling quality, it is not without its problems. Most prominently, glass displays are blurred and suffer from ghosting, while some other shimmering and ghosting issues have cropped up (which are not exclusive to DLSS but seem to be worse when it is engaged).

Especially since MSFS is getting updated regularly, can we expected these issues to be tackled in the future, and also the DLSS version (currently 2.4.6) to be updated as NVIDIA push new releases that further improve the deep learning algorithm?

ghosting is actually normal for DLSS. You see it in all games not just MSFS that enabling DLSS adds ghosting. Its visible more when fps is low (<40) and things are changing or moving fast over the screen. This is basically the price you pay. I doubt it can be removed, maybe reduced but again not without sacrificing something.

Not only can DLSS boost performance but for many it could be used to vastly increase quality as long their monitor can support higher resolutions. On my 32" 1080p TV I now use a 4k desktop with DLSS and NIS (set renderscale 85% in TAA before switching to DLSS as this seems to stop any blurry gauges). All my graphics are set ultra, traffic set to default and because I’m only flying simple gliders I can push my LOD to 400 and fly (almost) everywhere stutter free at 30-35 fps, LOD 400 is something I couldn’t even dream of at 1080p - Ryzen7 3800x, rtx3060(12GB).

1 Like

It is true that there are some cases where DLSS adds extra ghosting (while resolving others caused by typical TAA), however it’s worth noting a few things:

1. The glass display ghosting seems to be occurring because DLSS is interpolating the vector images generated every few frames, while Asobo managed to exclude them completely from any anti-aliasing method (they will look the same even if you turn it off completely). Doing the same with DLSS could be a fairly easy task.

2. The other shimmering and ghosting problems reported also appear with TAA, which means tackling them should fix the same problems when DLSS is on.

3. NVIDIA are constantly refining their deep learning algorithms, and they particularly advertised a big improvement in ghosting with DLSS 2.3. Now that they have competition, they need to do their best to keep ahead, and I won’t be surprised if any kind of ghosting is pretty much gone in a few years from now. Of course, the DLSS version needs to be updated for these benefits.

1 Like

TAA is also has ghosting, this is a known issue with TAA in general and not only with MSFS too. Google “TAA ghosting”, you find that it is a common problem. Though TAA ghosting is usually less visible compared to DLSS ghosting.

The problem is in the way how TAA and DLSS are implemented technicaly. Compared to other AA techniques DLSS and TAA both are considering multiple following frames in their processing pipeline. This makes much better AA but in return it can result in ghosting effect when fps is too low. This effect is completely eliminated at high fps, say > 90 fps.

I’m not convinced it’s true that the glass panel displays are “exclude[d] completely from any anti-aliasing method”; I think that TAA simply doesn’t alter the insides of the flat textured polygons much, while DLSS does its own jittered rendering + scale-up that’s not just a bilinear filter and is heavily dependent on interpolating from past frames, hence the ghosting.

So I’m not going to hold my breath; I think we’re just gonna be stuck with some blurriness and ghosting.

For me, DLSS has been a great improvement for the sim. “Shimmering” around buildings in VR is gone and the improvements in performance are great.

However, the feature that I would really welcome is actually setting the upscaling resolution higher than the screen resolution (oversampling using DLSS).

Currently, I’m doing this by overriding resolution in OpenXR Toolkit to c. 115%. The resulting image looks great with FPS still better than native render at 100%.

1 Like