Are we going backwards?

Thanks. I just found the main thread discussing this.

There is a lot of popping in of scenery / photogrammetry and increasing detail as you fly popping in within just a few miles of the aircraft. You can see where PG cuts off. I was flying in the Phoenix area and you could see clear cut lines where the scenery was flat just a few miles from my plane. As I fly, it loads the next ‘block’ or square of scenery. Performance is great, very smooth, but the popping in of scenery and details that didn’t exist before this update is pretty bad.

And while smooth and stutter free, the sim freezes for a few seconds to 30 seconds randomly and then unfreezes and is fine again for a while. Its like someone pressed ‘pause’ and everything locks up. Seems to happen more in the settings menu but has happened when flying. Once and a while it freezes and stays frozen and I have to quit and restart the program. Hopefully they have some patches for these issues coming soon.

2 Likes

Fully agree with your words, mainly…“Asobo nerfed the sim to squeeze it on the Xbox, causing those with decent gaming PCs to suffer. The state of the sim today is at the lowest it has ever been, in my opinion.”.
I have a I9-10900K 32GM RAM 3080 GPU and now after 1 year since the release I have tons of CTD for the first time.

9 Likes

Yes besides all the troubles I’m having with the sim and i’ve already talked about it in this post I also have this problem with the sim freezing sometimes for 1 or 2 seconds and most commonly for 20+ seconds especially when im leaving cruise level after hours of flight. Tbh im having this issue since SU4.

1 Like

could not agree more

I wonder if they can revert PC users back to the older version of the sim and keep xbox users on the current version. I’m guessing they won’t and were permanently stuck with the degradation, with a few ‘hot fixes’ or ‘patches’ that only partially restore what once was for us PC users. I’m hoping I’m wrong but something tells me this is a new sim and we better get used to it?

I have a decent pc I just built, and for the price I can have 3 xbox series x consoles. If were stuck with this version of the sim, I’ll just go to xbox and sell the PC. I feel bad for those with even more expensive builds that now can only match an xbox’s visuals.

4 Likes

The unprecise slider to change the Time is really annoying. Especially since I don’t see any reason whatsoever to implement this “Feature”. Is there already a topic to vote for bringing back the old slider?

3 Likes

I’m all for this new sim and I was really excited when it first came out.

As a business owner I do understand where ASOBO/MS are going with this, they need the numbers from XBOX to drive the title further. People need to get paid.

However, I can almost guarantee that the people that are in this title for the long run are the PC users, the mid to hardcore simmers. After a few weeks most general gamers wont touch MS again or will fire it up once in a while after seeing a nice youtube video of Carribean flying that will inspire them. Most simmers who take it a little more serious actually look forward to firing up the sim most days when they have time.

I’ve been simming for many years since fs95 and I calssify myself as a hardcore simmer, so like many of us here, I tend to notice what makes or breaks a sim, visually, performance and flight model wise. I’m no airline pilot but do get up there when I have a chance and a few hundred dollars to spend.

Lets recap and hope the mods see this:

• Flight models are progressing nicely and are getting tweaked - no issue atm

• Clouds and Visuals are not looking like they should, they did look much better before all they needed was some color tweaking to get rid of the ash color.

• Night lighting, the ground or lights at night look NOTHING like that in real life. Us simmers have always wanted a sim to give us a nice experience during night as it did day. The ground at night should not have such a sepia mask covering it. We spent hours and hours on other sims tweaking and downloading software such as ORBX lights to get other sims looking good at night. It just never looked like it should. EVER. This sim has the potential to pull it off, please pay attention to night time flying!!! The pollution model needs a big tweak. Its way too heavy.

• PC users should be able to adjust their settings to match their systems and not be limited by XBOX specs, especially older XBOX’s with lower specs. This is A not letting us use our machines to full potential and B not letting us get the most visuals out of a simulator as we should.

11 Likes

MSFS 2020 becomes " voting simulator "

8 Likes

If any sim like P3D or X-plain can deliver the graphics that this sim provides, then I’ll jump immediately. As of now I won’t spend a dime on the Marketplace until the sim performs as promised. $0

6 Likes

Yes indeed! This is with MSFS on full blast aside from resolution scale at 100…

1 Like

you mate is 100% corrent thats what happened to me last year seen the recommended spec went out spend 3k on parts for a pc build and now i should have stayed with my 7700k and 1080ti,

1 Like

Or if it had worked like MS intended. Bought an xbox

1 Like

lol yeah thats true

Ah well, there goes another 5 hour download and what do I get at the end of it? Visuals worse than they were before.
I suppose I’ll just leave it now and wait for the next one.

If this is how it’s going to be; one flight after every update then wait for the next one, I think I might go back to FSX with FlyInside and get the VR headset out again and it all looked really promising a year ago…

1 Like

It’s completely psych. One day everything works fine, the next day everything works differently. And that every month, I don’t like anymore either. You have no chance to turn back.

1 Like

This has been an issue in 4k since day one. You can use the Nvidia overlay to improve things if you have the correct card. But even then it still looks over processed, washed out, and too bright. (RTX2070 SUPER).

3 Likes

Something about the lighting has changed in SU5. It looks more like a game now, not realistic anymore.

11 Likes

exactly!!!

1 Like

Lighting has definitely changed!

4 Likes