Are we receiving another NavData update today/tomorrow?

I just updated my Navigraph/SimBrief to AIRAC 2014 which is now available.

Ok, but there are no file changes since 22.12.2020 ā€¦ also the FMC ident pages show you 2013 instead of 2014. So, there was no roll-out of the data ā€¦ at least on my system - with or without change the version number.

Cheers,
Richard

In civil aviation, every data set containing NAV data has its validity period and expiry date. That is why all aircraft systems, flight planning computers of airline OPS departments and ATC automated systems must be updated and synchronized on a regular basis.

Technically speaking, the data set can contain the same waypoints, ATS routes, NAVAIDs, etc. But a new time stamp is definitely needed for integrity and consistency in the data exchange mechanism. Otherwise, an airline pilot can jump out of the cockpit, refusing to fly with ā€œoutdatedā€ NAV data. :blush:

A good real-world example of that is terrestrial NAVIDs. Some of them are being copied from one data set to another for 30 years or more. And we will continue to paste the ā€œoldā€ data into new data sets until the NAVAIDs are phased out in accordance with ICAO Air Navigation Plan.

Coming back to the open question, my short answer remains ā€œNOā€. I think there is no reason for calling out Asobo programmers from their homes in the middle of holidays to have the same waypoints, SIDs/STARs and ATS routes in FS2020. Sorry - I still cannot believe that new runways, NAVAIDs, SIDs/STARs were introduced into operation on 31 December 2020.

You can check it yourself. Search for the AIP of your country on the Internet, for example, Norway AIP, Sweden AIP, Finland AIP, etc. You will find who published what and when.

An alternative way is to use the following link: State AIPs on the Internet (icao.int)

To my shame, I do not know anything about Navigraph and why you decided to use it for flying FS2020. Iā€™d better be silent here.

Possible you canĀ“t believe it, but there are a lot of changes (specially in the terminal procedures) between cycle 2013 and 2014 in the real-world (which means also in the sim-world, when we use the ā€œas real as it getsā€ principle). There are approx. 1750 airports affected, also there are a lot of changes in the airway structure between these two cycles ā€¦

Right, nobody want to call out the Asobo team from their holidays, but normally the ARINC424 file is available approx. 2 weeks before the new cycle starts, so enough time (in my eyes) to parse and test the new dataset before the holiday starts ā€¦ to release it effectively, should only be a few clicks.

Cheers,
Richard

5 Likes

In my fantasy world it should even be possible to automate the process.

2 Likes

good morning, Iā€™m glad we have a navigraph representative here. Friend look more to Brazil, we have many landmarks missing and some of the ILSā€™s are making the plane land before the runway head. I am a dev of 2 scenarios here in Brazil (SBGR AND SBCT) and I use Navigraph.
Another question, in ModoDEV we have the option to work with ils, dme and backcourse, GlideSlope.
You recommend filling it out or leaving it blank.

This is what happens with ā€œa couple of clicks updatesā€ which are not real FS2020 updates at all.

FS2020 has a fundamental issue. Aerodromes including runways were drawn against old Bing tiles.

It means the runways we have in FS2020 now were built many years ago. Since then, some aerodromes underwent changes. New runways were built. Old runways were closed, shortened or extended.

The runway of my base aerodrome was extended by 400 m. The same runway in FS2020 is not updated yet. Should I continue?

You can find new terminal NAV data for this aerodrome in my countryā€™s AIP and compile it into a BGL file with MSFS SDK. Move the BGL file into Community folder, print out new NAV charts and conduct a precision approach in adverse weather conditions. Most probably your life will end 400 m East of the runway touchdown zone and your mouth will be full of soil. Oh, thanks God, FS2020 is not that realistic yet. :blush:

If you are a developer, the solution of such issues should be easy for you.

Open the XML file of your airport. Erase old stuff with flags: deleteAllRunways=ā€œTRUEā€; deleteAllApproaches=ā€œTRUEā€; deleteAllILSs=ā€œTRUEā€, etc. And add new lines instead.

I am sure you know what to do.

Hi, I will contact you via PM :sunglasses:
Cheers
Richard

so why do we have meteoblue and navgraph? If we have these two companies that provide these resources in waypoint, fixed, ils, dme, glideslope everything to make DEVā€™s life easier. I donā€™t know why I should fill this out in my mod. I have to waste my time adding lines of code that are already programmed in the SIM.

meteoblue supplies weather data to MSFS.

Navblue supplies navdata for MSFS (I donā€™t know what part of it)

Navigraph is an addon developer who works with many flight simulators for many years, who supplies up to date nav data that you can purchase for MSFS. I believe they also fix data at airports to bring them up to date, but, donā€™t quote me on that. Check it out for yourself.

Asobo chose Navblue over Jeppesen despite all round bad reviews of Navblue data in general by most airlines. Perhaps Navblue is good in Europe, where they are based? Then, they apparently chose not take all of it. I have no idea why many major airports in my area do not have approaches, much less depatures and STARS. And I live in the North Eastern US. Itā€™s really bad when you get to an airport you have plates for in your EFB, and yet the airport in MSFS does not have its approaches that you can load in your GPS.

I have not yet tried Navigraph myself, yet.

1 Like

Update: The AIRAC update has arrived! Thanks Asobo, guess you were just on holiday.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.