Around the World VFR (ish) - now complete!

Leg 63 - Makokola Retreat, Malawi (FWCM Club Makokola Airstrip) to Mauritius (FIMP Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport)

This leg: 1,376Nm, 5:28 flying time
Total so far: 71,179Nm, 271:53 flying time

Well, remember I said we were heading South next? OK, so I lied. I’ve never been to Mauritius, and we are not that far away from it here…so why not? Plus we get a chance to fly over Madagascar in the process. So we are going pretty much straight East today, flying low altitude airways on a straight line to Mauritius with a couple of exceptions. First we are going to fly over Antananarivo, the capital of Madagascar, and then we will take a little detour to Reunion Island, part of France. Finally we will land at the awesomely named Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport in Mauritius. Turns out that Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam served as the island’s first Chief Minister, Prime Minister and Governor-General.

Today’s food order is Chambo with Nsima - Chambo is the most popular and best-known fish found in Lake Malawi and here is served grilled with nsima (a stiff porridge). Supposed to be delicious, so we will see!

So let’s get going, and it’s a lovely day with just some light cloud here in Malawi.

Heading East now, crossing into Mozambique as we leave the Eastern shore of Lake Malawi

Some really interesting hills popping up from the plains below us

Getting a little cloudier as we approach the coast of Mozambique

Heading out over the Mozambique Channel and the next stop is Madagascar - and some cloud ahead

Really interesting scenery in Madagascar - I think I expected more apparent jungle, but it looks more like barren scrubland

Some heavier clouds and rain ahead of us maybe

Looks like we’ve managed to keep clear of the weather

Approaching the capital of Madagascar, Antananarivo

Flying over Antananarivo

Heading out over the Indian Ocean towards Reunion

Nearing Reunion, and a bit of cloud

At Reunion, we are going to fly over Saint-Denis and Saint-Clotilde, the major urban areas on the island

Turning to head on our final leg towards Mauritius

First site of Mauritius

Turning to line up for final approach

It’s going to be a stunning sunset approach and landing - wow!

And down

What a stunning sunset landing. Sometimes this sim is jaw dropping

1 Like