Asobo Pilatus PC-6 Float not steering on water

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.
pc

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Microsoft Store

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
The Asobo Pilatus PC6 while on floats is almost entirely uncontrollable when taxiing and/or taking off. It will start a turn, then turn in the opposite direction of rudder deflection, becoming more pronounced the more rudder you introduce. Adding power makes it turn more in the opposite direction as well. From exterior view you can see the rudders deflecting correctly, but the plane “side slipping” in the wrong direction at a 45-degree angle. Full left or right rudder required for straight takeoffs. If you drop the gear the plane is fully controllable, but you can’t accelerate. Wind is set to 0 knots.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Begin to taxi, add rudder, watch it go haywire.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:
Thrustmaster TRP
Honeycomb Alpha
Honeycomb Bravo

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
SU7

Agree, hope it will be fixed in the next update together with newly broken water rudders on all Asobo airplanes (or perhaps all floatplanes in the game?). They just made the water rudders usable in the last update, just to break them in this update.

The reason is that they never implemented the tail wheel lock , near impossible to wind the engine up in real life without tailwheel lock, P Torque is just to much , I presume you have your settings on hard , and no assistance ,

Its a shame , they could done way better

1 Like

Tail wheel lock probably doesn’t help you much on the water. I assume the OP is referring to manoeuvring on the water, since they mention rudders plural. I’ve not tried this plane on water, but it sounds like the water rudders haven’t been lowered. The 172, which I have tried, behaves like this if you don’t lower them.

That’s correct, this is being flown on water. Can also confirm, water rudder(s) are down.

The physical effect is almost as if the engine thrust deflects against the vertical stabilizer and is countered by the deflection of the rudders…a rudder lock would make sense.

To compare, the 172 on floats does not have problems to this extent in my case.

Yes, that’s correct, no assistance on. I have tried with and without auto rudder enabled, but the water rudders still aren’t effective - Not sure if that would matter or not on water.

Really disappointing overall!

1 Like

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.
PC
Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Microsoft Store
No
The aircraft does not steer when floating on water, neither with tail rudder nor with water rudders

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Land on water and try to steer the floating aircraft. It does not steer or does it very very slowly. When water rudders are deployed, it steers for maybe 30° then stops steering. Consequently, the aircraft is uncontrollable on water
PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:
Intel i7, NVidia 2060, 32 Gb RAM, T.16000 joystick, CH pro pedals
Since the Pilatus PC-6 was implemented with GOTY update

I have to add that the Float Pilatus does not steer on water EVEN IN THE ABSENCE OF ANY WIND, whilst other aircraft (e.g. default C172 amphibian) are able to steer with no wind

Have you lowered the rudder? I don’t know about the PC-6 but in the XCub there is a handle on the floor next to the pilot seat that you raise up and this lowers the rudders. You need to un-lower them to drop your gear and land back on a runway.

This has been an issue since the beginning when pc6 was added.

Indeed, the waterrudder is pretty much useless. Also the water rudder in every aircraft does not work as it used to before SU7. SU6 fixed it and SU7 broke it again. Water rudder acts as normal rudder it stops being affective after around 30 degrees. When you release it, the plane goes back to previous position just like a normal rudder in the air.

4 Likes

Are you on Xbox, Steam or Microsoft Store version? Steam

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? No

Brief description of the issue: Aircraft is uncontrollable in yaw axis while operating on surface of the water. With water rudder up, no yaw action can be achieved. With water rudder down, initial turn in can be achieved, however continued turn in beyond approx. 20 deg. is not possible and A/C enters essentially a side slip condition where course is not aligned with heading, before the aircraft eventually starts yawing in the opposite direction until rudder pressure is released. In forwards motion this effect occurs in both direction in yaw and is correlated with a rapid decrease in GS and increase in drag. When operating in reverse thrust, the AC enters a left hand yaw motion that cannot be arrested with any control inputs.

Lowing landing gear while on water allows for normal yaw movements, however GS is limited.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered: Multiple locations and flight model settings.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: 1.22.2.0

For some reason the AP systems have become unresponsive and overall unreliable as well, have you found that? I’m on Xbox, I also find it pretty bad on the water.

This is a well posted issue, and seems to be a limitation of the sim in regards to float planes.
It isn’t unique to the Pilatus.
Do a search for “Water Taxi”

Other floatplanes seem ok in zero wind conditions, this seems to be a seperate issue than the over strength weathervaning issue reported on other AC.

1 Like

Haven’t tried AP sorry, just short flights.

1 Like

The Cub Crafter works great, haven’t tried the 172 in months but the Icon was good the last time I used it. I’d like to get a decent quality and decently fast 3rd Party sea capable plane but the physics as they are really make me hesitant to waste that kinda money. I’m sure there are plenty of us that would like to use seaplanes more but I definitely shy away.

Resolved as of SU 8, however using full lock will result in similar behaviour.

this is still a problem in the Asobo PC-6 floatplane - water rudder does NOT work after SU8

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

No

Cannot steer the plane in water… even with the water rudder down. As I steer the plane to the right, it will start to steer right and then it springs back and steers left on its own. Opposite occurs when steering left. Occurs under minimal thrust. Prop RPM and throttle are dialed all the way back to minimize speed and Spiral Slipstream. The plane was still moving in the water at about 10 knots even with the throttle in idle and prop dialed back to .1%. Occurs with Calm winds.

This does not occur with the Cessna 172 Seaplane that my friend was using on this same flight with me. I tried the 172 Seaplane myself to compare. The 172 is completely functional while steering in water. I was trying to explore Fort Jefferson off the Florida Keys with the PC-6 and could not do so… Completely unusable for its intended purpose in the water.

I understand there is a post somewhat similar to this, but it is old, was occuring under an older update and the symptoms are described differently. Furthermore, there is no video. I wanted to provide something fresh with video so that this can be fixed. It’s a neat plane and a shame it’s not usable for what it was designed to do.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmpZNI7MvLn2u0L2quYMJjIWfI7C

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Simply try to steer in the water

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Xbox Series X. Occurs whether using Controller of Tflight Hotas One.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

All float planes are a joke, in the water. Absolutely zero ability to control them.

It’s like there is no friction between floats and water. I start a flight with an 8 knot tailwind and before I could do anything the wind turned me around, pointing towards the trees. Even before pressing Fly.

PC-6 less rudder control than an 8 knot wind.

Reverse thrusts are useless on water as well.

1 Like