ATC Assigns Wrong Runways with Wind Direction

In my experience, ATC doesn’t seem to care which direction you land on the runway. If the wind favors to land on 15 and ATC tells me to land on 33, I still land on 15 anyway and they don’t complain. Not a perfect solution by any means, but somewhat of a workaround.

1 Like

if you wait until you are cleared to land !!
Only after that can you circle around to the other end of the runway and land and ATC will not tell you that you were not cleared to land. And you are not cleared on the other end of the runway…because you are not in a position to land on the runway the ATC AI wants you to use.

Again this has been discussed back and forth and in all variations now.

ATC AI is simply not doing it correctly all the time. Some time it seems to work and sometimes it is 180° off.

Exactly, I agree.

This IS their (Asobo) first flight sim… This thing is in no way a follow up to FSX, let alone a Microsoft (Aces) product. Don’t be fooled. MS backed it so it’d sell - if nothing else it was a brilliant marketing move.

Didn’t bother? Just to give you some idea of the size of the task you outline here, X-Plane has a scenery gateway, which is something Asobo are working on themselves.

https://gateway.x-plane.com/

This allows for community members to submit their hand made airports to the gateway, and once approved, it appears in a future update to the sim. The gateway has 37,404 airports submitted, out of 38,130.

Asobo doesn’t have this system as I explained. But they do use an AI to build airport sceneries. However it couldn’t possibly work out which taxiway is which from an aerial photograph as none of the signage is visible. It has to be done by hand.

So you see, the only reliable way to do this is by hand, and even then not even the X-Plane scenery gateway has them all covered. The only ones that would be right in MSFS are the hand crafted, the hand touched-up AI built, community made one on flightsim.to etc., and of course smaller airports with perhaps only one taxiway that the AI just happens to have assigned “A” correctly. :wink:

Oh, I’m sorry. I wrote all that above for you, I hope I didn’t waste my time?

1 Like

Ok…your opinion for what it is worth.
People who work at MS and Asobo and folks who write code have said otherwise.
Also general functionality is FSX ATC turned MSFS … what was simply re-written because they wanted to improve something and what had to be rewritten because the new overall SIM made that a necessity I don’t know and don’t care.

All of that really doesn’t make a difference to the issue that is the topic of this thread.

Setting aside for a minute that it would not be available for free, would it not be possible to use Jeppesen Taxi-Diagrams for that at least on a majority of the airports ??
They are digitized and georeferenced with almost every named pathway clearly marked.
I very much enjoyed having them on my IPad in ForeFlight, especially at the bigger WestCoast airports :slight_smile:

The ‘size of the task’ I outlined was handled by the FSX team just fine, and I believe even FS2004 didn’t just make up their own taxiway names.

I wouldn’t be so critical had Microsoft claimed no part of this simulator. But by doing so, I’d expect AT LEAST an improvement over their prior product. This sim happens to be a downgrade of ‘realism’ in this specific area.

So excuse my bitterness when “the most realistic flight simulator ever” just made up their own taxiway names.

1 Like

To be fair, that’s a good point. I never used FSX, I was/am an X-Plane user, and stuck to that.

A quick search on AVSim cites FSX as having 24,490 airports as of 2010. According to LNM MSFS has just under 40,000. Actually I just reloaded the LNM scenery, and its now 40,620. I must have done it just prior to WU8 being installed.

So how did they do it back then? I have no idea, but feel I should look to find out.

I appreciate the response. If I may also add… While FS2020 might have 40,000 airports, I can assure you the number of airports with taxiways to name, can only be a decreasing figure. The world is only losing airports. New airports aren’t being built so that figure of 40,000 is including every single dirt strip in the most remote areas of the world, with nothing more than a landing strip, let alone taxiways to name.

The simple (and frustrating) answer is that Asobo made the very poor decision to assume that their first ever attempt at making a flight sim, would be so good, that it wouldn’t even be worth their time to learn what fsx offered so they could at least have something to compare to their version.

Yes, fs2020 is beautiful but it lacks a huge list of features and functions that were in fsx. Such as:

-Simple camera views
-A flyby view
-Opening doors
-An interactive map you could access in flight with ALL navaid frequencies
-Ability to switch planes within a flight.
-Ability to go directly to any airport during a flight.
-Ability to easily place yourself, already within a flight, at any altitude, speed or heading on the map.

The list goes on…

1 Like

Camera views are simple. Move the camera to where you want it, then press ALT+1-10 to save that position. CTRL+1-10 to recall it. It couldn’t be simpler.

You can open doors, but it depends on the plane. The sim is capable of doing it, it’s up to the developer to implement it on their plane.

If you use developer mode, you can teleport to any airport, in fact any lat/lon you wish, and you can also switch planes using the aircraft selector.

Interesting. re cameras that’s not how it works for me. I’ve changed nothing in that regard from the stock sim.

CTRL + 1-10 allows you to select the default camera’s provided with your aircraft. If you want to manually set a camera you move to your desired position and then press CTRL + ALT + 1-10. That saves your custom position. To recall your newly saved custom camera you press ALT + 1-10.

It’s always been that way, so it’s maybe not so simple after all! :innocent:

Sorry, I couldn’t remember the keys off the top of my head. I had meant to look them up then didn’t the spy, but I went to lunch instead. :joy:

But I find the camera system say to use, and define.

1 Like

Totally agree :grin:

It’s pretty much the definition of simple and straightforward.

1 Like

What it could do with are some custom camera types, as others have requested, rather than tinkering with how a given camera position is defined.

Some have asked for a landing camera, some a tower camera.

Not only does ATC send you to the wrong runway for wind conditions, they dispatch airplanes to take off opposite the runway you’re landing on. This issue has been around since the sim came out, and I don’t get why it hasn’t been corrected yet. It’s been what, 1 1/2 years now?

5 Likes

Bump

Still seeing this at various airports in the US. Is there an active investigation?

I am seeing this all the time. I have recently been flying from EGOV (RAF Valley) and it seems that, whatever the wind, whatever the weather, 13 is the default runway. There are two runways at EGOV 13 - 31 and 01 - 19. IRL the most commonly used runway is 19 (because it exits over the sea). Yesterday my landing instruction was to enter Left Downwind 13 (IRL 13 is always a RH circuit) with a wind 19kts at 60 (in a DA62) - so, close enough to a direct and hefty crosswind. Surely, 01 was the correct runway?

This is one of the several reasons why I often fly without air traffic’s help.

2 Likes

This is an issue that really bugs me a lot. The reported winds in the METAR are correct but when the METAR reports a wind of for example 240°/12 knots and the airport has a runway 24/06 the sim assigns runway 06, completely illogical.

2 Likes

My issue with this ATC problem, the wrong runway for the wind and the opposite traffic is that, although I prefer to fly on VATSIM, with 2 young kids, it’s not always possible for me to complete a flight on VATSIM without interruption so, that’s why I sometimes fly with the default ATC and it irritates me everytime. Before switching to MSFS2020 I flew with FS9 (due to a very old PC up untill a year ago) and even in FS9 the ATC was better. At least, it assigned the correct runway and it assigned also the correct runway to the AI. I really don’t know what is so difficult for Asobo to correct the ATC. In my opinion they only need to import the FS9 ATC to have a huge improvement. Also, if ATC tells you to expect vectors for a visual approach you never get any vector. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please vote here to get an update during tomorrows Q&A.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/when-can-we-expect-atc-to-direct-landing-takeoff-operations-to-use-appropriate-runways-based-on-the-wind-direction/511995

1 Like