Allow users to access ATC menu while ATC speaks

In the past versions (FSX and below) we could pre-select or at least look at the options in the ATC coms menu (such as altitude or approach changes, nearby airports freqs, etc.) while ATC was actively giving instructions - to us or other a/c. In MSFS we have to wait for ATC to stop talking before we can make a selection or look at the sub-menu items. This is annoying and inefficient. Hopefully its on the fixing soon list ?!

I don’t like that either, especially when I have to wait to reply to them as I count the seconds before they rag on me for not replying in time.

My GUESS is that they can’t change it because the app probably has to process each communication with the pilot one at a time as to not confuse it. Otherwise, you could select to increase or decrease your altitude several times before allowing the app to answer (not that anyone would have a reason to do that). Or maybe decide to ask for clearance to land then change to some other unrelated communication.

Like I said, that’s just a guess though.

1 Like

It amazes me how many things were better in FSX… this being absolutely one if them!

I know you can’t do that IRL, but that’s because you don’t need to.
I just got cut off FIVE times when trying to reply (acknowledge) to an ATC transmission when I was in an extreme hurry. i need to acknowledge-> tune-> contact-> request change runway because I just noticed a traffic overtaking me is going to use the same runway as I do, and it will circle on final causing me to overtake it, only to have my landing clearance revoked due to “not landing in order”.

There are so many things in this equation that necessitated interrupting ATC:

1. real life ATC do all the spacing job for you.
  2. real life ATC don’t bug out when you request change runway after IAF.
  3. real life traffic don’t circle on final to descend
  4. real life FMC doesn’t cause CTD (there is no CTD IRL) when you go around and input new approach.

But they all happen in MSFS.
If I don’t request change runway in time, I will be ordered to go around because I was “supposed” to wait for that traffic. And then go around will cause CTD because I need to reset approach on FMC, thus destroying my entire 2.5 hour flight.
Five AI traffic transmissions, jeopardizing my entire flight. That’s what it is.
and thus I needed to request change runway post-haste. And yet the ATC just decided to interrupt me 5 times by calling traffic A to also change channel, traffic B to report traffic, traffic C to contact tower, and then two of them had to interrupt me by responding. By the time I was able to request, I was <5nmi from the “no change runway or else destroy ATC” point.

Let’s face the fact: MSFS is practically a single player game. The only ATC transmission that matters is the kind that involves THE player. Every other transmission is just there for the feels, and should not jeopardize the flight of the player.

I would therefore suggest having an option under the greyed out ATC options when someone else is talking: “Select to stop playing transmission and interrupt”.

Has MS / Asobo actually ever said that they intend to improve ATC, and if so, when did they say that, and what did they say would be improved, and what the timescales might be.

Did they also indicate it it would be an update, or a complete Modern re-write, ditching the model based on the dated FSX ATC system ?

I heard they said there will be and it will be worked on by a team called Working Title. Nothing more specific.

Yes please!

What I’ll do if it’s busy is just press and hold the key on my keyboard to reply even if the options are dimmed while others are talking. That way I’ll immediately respond before ATC can yell at me for their incompetence. Lol.

But I do think this wish would be extremely beneficial, especially during multi-step functions like requesting an IFR altitude change.

1 Like

I let my copilot do it since they can respond faster.