ATC - Get rid of the name Generic

Please get rid of the term “Generic” in ATC comms - it can’t be too hard to call randomly from a list of say 10 different plane types so the term generic is never used.

I somehow doubt that any ATC has called a plane “Generic…” in real life :wink: I listen to local ATC and have never heard it.

Today ATC was nonstop “Generic… do this” and “Generic… do that” - I use AI traffic mostly.

I’m on X-Box but I guess applies to PC too?

The ATC will call them based on which model it spawns for the traffic. If it spawns using the generic model, then the ATC will call them as such. You can install AIG where it adds the multiple traffic model like A320, A330, B737, etc. Then the ATC will call them by their aircraft model instead.

A user named taw1962 over at the Simple Traffic forum posted this. I did it and it works great. I never hear “generic” anymore while using Live Traffic.

" This is no use for VATSIM or IVAO, but if you get a lot of “Generic” aircraft mentioned in MSFS ATC comms, you can actually re-name them by editing the aircraft.cfg file for each generic plane in your LocalCache\Packages\Official folder.

Scroll down the list of aircraft to:

Asobo-aircraft-generic-airliner-quadengines
Asobo-aircraft-generic-airliner-twinengines
Asobo-aircraft-generic-piston-multiengines
Asobo-aircraft-generic-piston-singleengine
Asobo-aircraft-generic-privatejet
Asobo-aircraft-generic-turbo-multiengines
Asobo-aircraft-generic-turbo-singleengine

You can use any name you like to replace “Generic”, but I’ve used the ‘most likely’ type based on the model appearance and/or a flyable type in the sim. Open each aircraft.cfg with Notepad and under the [GENERAL] heading, look for:

[GENERAL]
atc_type = “$$:Generic”
atc_model = “$$:”

The model name for Generic planes isn’t used by ATC, so I’ve only changed the atc_type as follows:

Airliner Quadengines: atc_type = “$$:Airbus” ← looks like an A380?

Airliner Twinengines: atc_type = “$$:Boeing” ← probably the most common twin engine airliner?

Piston Multiengines: atc_type = “$$:Beech” ← similar to the Baron in the sim?

Piston Singleengine: atc_type = “$$:Piper” ← looks like a Cherokee?

Privatejet: atc_type = “$$:Cessna” ← similar to the Citation in the sim?

Turbo Multiengines: atc_type = “$$:Beechcraft” ← similar to the King Air in the sim?

Turbo Singleengine: atc_type = “$$:Pilatus” ← looks like a PC-12?

This makes a noticeable difference in the sim and has no effect on Simple Traffic or FPS. "

1 Like

That’s a good idea. I guess you can add further things like:

Airliner Quadengines:
atc_type = “$$:Airbus”
atc_model = “$$:A388”

Airliner Twinengines:
atc_type = “$$:Boeing”
atc_model = “$$:B764”

The original author says ATC ignores the model. I just typed Airbus Three Twenty and so forth.

That does not seem to be the case. For example, the following edit makes MSFS ATC say “Douglas DC-6”, and to get that it needs to look at both lines.

atc_type="TT:ATCCOM.ATC_NAME DOUGLAS.0.text"
atc_model="TT:ATCCOM.AC_MODEL DC6.0.text"

Yeah, I would have to agree with @FlyingBear01. It seems to be random, tbh. Either that or just simply depending on the completeness of the data.

Because even using the FBW A32NX aircraft, the ATC calls other traffic to see whether they have my aircraft in-sight, and they sometimes call me as A20N, and other cases just Airbus. So I think the ATC reads both of these fields, but possibly random on whether they call both the Type and Model, or just the Type.

On X-Box? I guess AIG is an add-on?

Ohhh… Xbox… well, nevermind… Yeah, AIG is a traffic addon for PC. It replaces all the generic aircraft model into their proper aircraft and livery.

It will change your airport environment to look like this.

1 Like

In real life it’s bogus anyway, at least in Europe. The aircraft type / manufacturer isn’t used as part of the callsign here. Only during clearance request you state the aircraft type and in case of conditional clearance ATC might use phrases such as “behind Airbus 320 on final, line-up and wait, behind”. Maybe to warn for wake turbulence, e.g. “A380 departed 3 minutes ago, caution wake turbulence”. And for purpose of reporting traffic, although that doesn’t happen as often as in MSFS :joy:.

I really can’t use an Xbox, just imagine having to do without all the Mods making this sim great and less buggy? It would be become a game rather than a simulator.

Neither can I… not just for MSFS really… But console games in general… I just don’t like console. I can’t “do things” with it unlike playing games on PC that opens a whole possibility of modding, tweaking, plus the ability to use it for other things than just gaming. With console, you’re stuck with what they give you. And I really don’t like the feeling of it.

1 Like

We accepted that restriction though when diving in. If PC’s were more affordable at the time I would have gone that way directly but at peak Covid era they were extortionate ££££££ and still are really but at least they are reducing a bit now.

As an X-Box user I would love a high-end PC for it and have started looking again.

2 Likes

My computer is not really a power house either, on high settings 35 fps (below 30 with SU9 :expressionless:), I can’t really go to big international airports without bogging down. I would love to have the frame rates of the Xbox but without modding not an option for me.

I agree-they should get rid of that name. It should use “Caution the Boeing 757-200 On final” instead of “Caution the Generic on Final”

The Sim knows the aircraft type, since when looking at “Live Airport Activity” its shows the type of aircraft (i.e. 737-8)

2 Likes

Even just “Caution the Aircraft on Final” would be a vast improvement!

It wouldn’t require any additional programming either, just change the word ‘Generic’ to ‘Aircraft’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes! This would be something that would make my day a lot better and make flights that much more immersive. Who knows, we may even see this in the new MSFS release next year as well as a lot fo phraseology improvements :slight_smile:

1 Like