ATC mispronounces "Ft" in names as letters "F T" instead of "fort"

For example, ATC mispronounces Ft Worth as F T Worth

I’m using the Microsoft voice pack I think. Always says FT Lauderdale, FT Worth etc. Very off putting. Is this an issue with the Azure ATC version as well?

The problem is that in the script, Azure has been given the abbreviations instead on the word Fort. The same for the word one instead of the number 1. Sometimes its right, but usually it is wrong.

1 Like

I sent in a zendesk report on this issue based on trying to fly anywhere near F T Worth! Suspect they’ll eventually fix this since it should be fairly simple.
Regards

Also reported-

Whenever ATC is referring to a city whose name starts with the abbreviation “Ft.” for “Fort”, it pronounces it as “Eff-Tee” instead of saying “Fort” For example, the city of Fort Worth, Texas is pronounced as “Eff-Tee, Texas”.
Is this standard ATC protocol or a bug in the ATC language code?

It’s a generic Text-To-Speech engine and, without a specific rule, it pronounces it as it deduces it should - which is not the expected way in this case.

Thank you for your reply. It explains the problem perfectly!

I have a fix for this. If you go into the appropriate file (you have to redo after each update to the sim but no biggie, especially if you use Notepad++), you simply change the lines to read “Fort…” instead of “Ft…” and it reads them correctly.

If you can find my post from ages ago, it has the complete description of how to do this and where the file is located. Essentially it’s the English language file of the fs-base folder within the main store folder (not the Community but the one adjacent to it).

There are two lines: one for the text and one for tts.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your solution to this problem. Not being a computer guru, I’m not sure I totally understand how to accomplish the instruction you gave. I will attempt to find your post “from ages ago”, however and hopefully, solve the problem. Thanks again!

If you want to look up how, just search for Daher, TBM, and TTS. There was a simple fix to get ATC to pronounce the TBM correctly. That same method can be used here.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I will do just that.

1 Like

@WigglyBarley24 found my earlier post…

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/number-1-is-always-pronounce-as-118/299635/10?u=dfwsupertrooper

1 Like

Hello DFWSupertrooper,
I hope you are well and survived the storms last week (DFW thinking you live here in Texas). Can you send me the file name to make those changes?

Thank you,

@PlaneDig7055042 thanks for the well wishes! Made it OK.

The post immediately above yours has the file information and how I accessed it. If you click on the post link, it walks you thru the step to change. Super easy if you can edit a text file. Hope that helps!

Thank you, again. You have been super helpful!

1 Like

Happy to help. Just remember, you’ll have to do this after every big update because the updater rewrites the original file, so save your steps. Using Notepad++ is great because in the Replace function, it saves recent entries, so I can simply select the changes from the dropdowns and Replace All in just seconds for both lines.

I do it to basically replace all instances of .txt = "Ft and .tts = "Ft or however it’s setup exactly so it changes ALL of the Fort Lauderdale, Forth Worth, etc.