ATC Readbacks

Please see post below

Have noticed that ATC reads back your aircraft callsign with the letters and not phonetically.
eg. OGW is read back Oh Gee Doubleyou, instead of Oscar Golf Whiskey.
Have heard other transmissions to other aircraft using the phonetics though.
Is it the way I have the rego input in the ATC box in Aircraft Select?

I think I noticed that too. But it never got to that point since I always use a full airline callsign and the ATC never calls me by my tail number. Usually when I heard them saying “EN-E-DOUBLEYU ZEALAND” instead of “New Zealand” tells me I messed up in my callsign because of all capital letters.

Maybe you can try assigning the full phonetic names in the callsign as “Oscar Gold Whiskey”

I tried that and when you type it in with spaces between the words, it saves it without the spaces, and then ATC does enunciate it as OSCARG OLFWHISKEY, but when in copilot mode, the copilot reads it back as spelling each letter separately as in O S C A R G O L F W H I S K E Y.
Very strange.

Yeah, the problem with the ATC options in the sim is that if you type in, they will always show up as Capital letters and without space.

What I usually do is to go to the aircraft.cfg option in the aircraft folder itself or in the livery, and assign the callsign manually. Using this method, you can apply non-capital letters and spaces. So you can add into “Oscar Golf Whiskey” and it will pronounce it as such.

It’s a bit of a hassle, but it’s the only way I can do it. Because I do it for all my A320 liveries. I add callsign manually through each of the livery aircraft.cfg file. And I leave the one in the ATC Options as blank. That way the sim will always use the one from the Livery and say the correct callsign.

1 Like

Hey Neo, how do I find the aircraft cfg file? I have also had Win7 and know my way round all the files really well, but this Win10 has got me confused. Can’t seem to find where the sim is located.
Also, how do you get different liveries please?

Hmm depends on which version you have. If you installed the sim using the default directory it would either be:
In case of Microsoft Store version, the community folder can be found on: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\packages\community

In case of Steam version, the configuration of the throttle can be found here: %APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\community

You have to install the liveries first because that’s one way to get the aircraft.cfg file on the livery level.

Otherwise, if you want to not want to use any liveries, you can go to the same folder, but instead of going into community, go to official folder. And there you will find the folder of aircrafts and sceneries, etc. You need to find the aircraft you want to edit, navigate through the multiple levels of folders, until you find the folder with the aircraft.cfg. You just need to open it, and edit the atc_airline="" code to the callsign you want to have for that aircrft.

Note that you have to remove the callsign from the ATC options in the world map, so that a blank callsign will use the default callsign from the aircraft. And since you changed the callsign, it will start to use that instead.

You can download liveries from this website

I purchased the Physical copy Premium Deluxe version and downloaded using the discs.
I am not very savvy with computer workings especially W10, but I cannot find where the sim is located.
Tried the pathway you advised as the MS STORE version

I don’t understand “community files” either, have heard people talking about them but cannot find it either. See shots of pathway, runs out after USER.
Hope you can make sense of this, appreciate your help.

Hey Neo, have my files sorted now, and thanks for your help in finding liveries and overcoming the a/c rego issue.

Cool… glad to hear it.

Thank you very much Sir.

After many many reading you are the first and only one to put a finger on that annoying problem.

Editing aircraft.cfg files is the solution and the explanation at the same time why ATC spelling differs from an aircraft to another. That’s an usual problem encounters with public liveries. I noticed that most of the time it’s because the author put fancy names in “atc_id” and also doesn’t let blank “atc_flight_number”.

Finally I’ll be able to correct all buggy aircraft on that topic.

Cheers!

1 Like