ATIS Conditions Incorrect - Few Clouds at 1,100 Feet

It makes me even more sad to see the Dev Update get published and see things like “Ability to Open Aircraft Door” have more votes than this.

If you can open the door prior to the ATIS being fixed, that seems like a significant priority mismatch.

3 Likes

Also visibility is stuck at “3”, whatever that means, I assume miles…

Hi All - FYI, I came across this thread for the Community Q&A and it’s near the top. Suggest we get that upvoted to hopefully get this looked at:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/atis-when-will-we-get-atis-that-reports-correct-information-and-not-3-random-cloud-layers/322799/

Good find. Done!

In today’s Dev Q&A they acknowledged the issue, and have said they plan to fix it in Sim Update 3 (slated for 2/23).

Thanks all for your votes!

1 Like

Yes. Thank god someone else said this besides me.

@SrgtDonut Well spotted, and I certainly hope you’re right. I want to see it before I believe it, though, I’m not 100% convinced that this was actually the issue he talked about:

Q: “Is there a way to get ATIS to report all the correct information? Right now it seems to be doing not the best job”
A: “Very quick answer: Yes, and this is also planned for Sim Update 3”

This problem is certainly about ATIS incorrectly reporting information, and it sounds great that Sim Update 3 will have a lot of work on ATC and ATIS - but let’s see… Maybe “correct information” here was once again the issue of live weather not always being correct getting conflated into this - much simpler to fix!! - issue.

I guess we’ll all have to continue to fly towards mystery destination airports with unknown weather conditions until February - good thing this is just a sim!

1 Like

@TheisSonder I agree it was a very quick answer with little detail. It does sound like Sim Update 3 will focus on ATC, so I hope it’s accurate that the ATIS Reporting will be a part of this.

If it was batched into an update concerning Live Weather, then I’d be a little more worried this is just being shrugged off as “weather doesn’t match what it is outside my house”

Let’s hope! And keep up the votes :smiley:

So, Sim Update 2 rolled out with no fix to this issue :sob:

Only have to wait 2 months to the next update…

Yes, I’ve experienced this too and also, the observation weather time of day is sometimes incorrect (would that be related perhaps? i.e. reporting a cached weather status instead of live?)

This is general live weather issue with clear skies temp 20 dew point 10 everywhere.

Thanks, but I’m afraid it’s not related. The issue in this ticket is unrelated to any Live Weather inaccuracies or even bugs. The issue in this ticket is that the cloud-cover in sim is completely disconnected from the ATIS in sim: No matter what cloud-cover you have/see, ATIS will report 3 layers of clouds, making ATIS useless for knowing landing-conditions prior to arrival.

This has, to my knowledge, been the case since launch. Mind-boggling to me, as it’s an issue that affects ANY flight, with ANY airplane, to/from ANY airport, and is 100% reproducible. I don’t know how we’re supposed to carry out the simplest VFR flight simulation with a decent level of immersion.

6 Likes

After update today ATIS / AI is even worse than before, the pressure setting provided by ATIS had my altitude indicator showing I was a couple of hundred feet underground. Although it appeared to report the wind direction at KRNT to be coming from the right direction, it had runway 16 as the active, even though that was a 10 knot tailwind straight down the runway. I fly out of this airport IRL, and you are never given a runway with a 10 knot tailwind.
All in all, this particular update is a terrible experience (there are also pauses in the simulation I never experienced before in MSFS2020) and I will be switching back to another Flight Sim until this gets sorted out.

Confirmed today that the issue still exists. Posting to ensure the topic does not close.

1 Like

The ATIS always reports the same visibility - 3nm, and clouds - Few 700’, Few 4300’ and Few 12300’. This is with real world weather, which occasionally doesn’t load either.
Very poor and disappointing in a flight sim.

Happens every time I use the sim.

1 Like

Hmm… I never really noticed that before… I usually just request Metar and use the reports from there. you probably need to do some data collection with how the ATIS reports across multiple different weather conditions.

I have actually seen visibility report 10. But yeah agreed this needs to be tweaked as well, it seems like it’s most often 10, 7 or 3.

Cloud layers is absolutely an issue though.

FS2020 conditions may not match a real world METAR. It uses forecasting models instead I believe. I found the ceiling to be much lower than out my window in today’s flight.

So it’s necessary to be able to access weather data (via ATIS or perhaps if they added METARs) directly from the simulator.

That’s true… but I find close enough is better than none at all.

Definitely. However, the core of this specific bug is that the reported clouds by ATIS compared to the in-game clouds are not at all “close enough” :slight_smile: In fact they are entirely different, apart from the old saying of “even a broken clock is correct twice a day” - so yeah, when the in-game clouds are in fact 3 layers at 1K, 4K and 10K feet, indeed the ATIS is VERY useful :weary:

1 Like