ATR 72 Main BAT voltage drops to 3V - CHR disconnected

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Failure appears with empty community too.

Brief description of the issue:

Plane Main battery voltage drops to 3V after engine shutdown and randomly after loading in at the ramp. Cannot found a way to connect the CHR bus to the battery. Followed the abnormal procedure by reseting the MFC modules, but no avail. External PWR connected, but the batteries (Emergency and Main) are not charged.
After 8 legs, it happened 6 of them that turnaround is not possible as with low voltage the No 2 engine cannot be started.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

After flight check the ELEC system page to see if the battery CHG bus is disconnected

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

N/A

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

N/A

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes

Also made abnormal procedures, ext power ON and no Bat charge. BAT DC amp showing 600AMP.

Yes

Nothing to add to OP’s detailed explaination.

question removed (getting far too complicated,)

Just consider the electrical characteristics of of “Relays / Contactors” as opposed to simple mechanical switches.

Affirm. The 2 push buttons are ON for the CHG contators. Just in case, i tried to reset the MFC’s, but nothing. I suspect some sort of bug in the elec sys programing. As the system config files are encrypted by Asobo, I cannot debug it any further…

3 Likes

I think I had this issue today… did one sector from Alicante to Ibiza. Shut down both engines in Ibiza. Wanted to do a second sector from Ibiza to Palma… couldn’t start engine 2 at all. I think this is related. Anybody find a solution or is this a bug? If so, any workarounds? Would love to be able to do multiple, short flights in this aircraft, but can’t figure out how to restart #2 after shutting down. :frowning:

1 Like

Workaround is (for me at least) before you put no 2 into hotel mode or shut it down and still at CL Auto, connect the GPU and check on the ELEC sys page if the Main and Emergency Battery CHG boxes have the green line showing that is connected. After that you can shut down no 2. That procedure worked so far.

Unfortunately in the SIM it won’t start even with the GPU connected. I’m not sure if it’s related, but on the picture what I added even the ESS bus looks disconnected from the BAT. That might cause start issues?

2 Likes

Tried again last night on a simulated to sector flight (San Juan TJSJ - Charlotte Amalie TIST, then attempted TIST - St. Maarten TNCM).

First leg was fine. Cold/dark all the way to shutdown per the checklists went well. Had #2 running in hotel mode when I parked at TIST. Connected the GPU. Noted the electrical page showed CHG was green and both batteries showed 22v. Shut down #2 completely and started prepping for the second sector. After a few minutes, I checked the electrical page again and it looked like the one in the initial screenshot in this thread - Main battery was down to 3 or 4v and CHG OFF was shown…

I have no idea what I’m doing wrong, if anything. Or if there is just a - in my opinion, rather serious - bug here. Like you mentioned, I should be able to start #2 off GPU power alone since GPU has priority and should be able to start either 1 or 2 (I tried both and no luck). And I’m not sure why the batteries aren’t being charged when the GPU is connected… The fact that voltage plummets to 3 or 4v in this scenario just seems wrong.

If it’s a bug, this is a serious one. It’s a real shame to not be able to do three or four turns in this aircraft without having to completely reload it from the menu.

1 Like

I’ll have to do another test… but yeah I thought so, too… I think it showed almost exactly as in the OP’s screenshot, though. 22v then dropped down to 3 or 4v. Emergency battery remained at 22v.

I hope they are working on fixing issues like this. I suppose I could just keep #2 running in hotel mode on the ramp after each leg, but doesn’t seem very realistic.

Edit - this is what it looks like when battery is turned on and GPU power is applied (first flight of the day) -

1 Like

You have to bear in mind, there Simplified State Pictures, are a very simplified diagram of what that electrical system is really made up of. (ie does not show Diodes, Relays, etc etc) – just Major Devices and their and Connection state.,

The GPU voltage is correct at 28V checked on the left side panel.

As a workaround, connect the GPU on the EFB BEFORE you pull engine no 2 into FTR. At least using that procedure, I didn’t end up in a situation when I created the initial post.

1 Like

Also, I would really appreciate if anyone agree that this issue is serious enough to log it as a bug, just vote for the post to get it officially logged by to powers in Asobo.
Thanks much

Ok I’ll try that. So, to recap -
Single engine taxi to parking (#1 will be shut down)… at parking, while #2 CL is still in Auto and prop spinning, connect the GPU via the EFB. Do I need to apply ground power to the bus at this point? Or can I move CL to feather, apply prop brake, then apply ground power to bus and then move #2 CL to cut-off?

Guess it doesn’t matter at that point since it’s all unrealistic from the point the GPU is connected to the aircraft with #2 still in Auto and blades spinning…

But just want to clarify exactly what your procedure is so I can actually do a 2 or 3 sector flight one day :slight_smile:
And thanks!!! Really appreciate everyone’s help on this. It’s like a community-led support and learning system with this aircraft :slight_smile:

I had the same problem.
After turning on the battery, I noticed the moment I connected the GPU, entered the FMC, and connected it to the Vatsim controller.
All instruments had normal power, but the battery failed to communicate as if it had been discharged, so I looked at the system and found that the battery was at 3V.
Hotel mode is not used because it is unstable like there is a bug.
All I did was turn on the battery and connect the GPU.
This problem does not always appear.
It’s my first time. I hope this problem will be fixed.

Yes

After a flight, taxi to parking and go through the shutdown procedure… NOTE: this only happens after a flight. Starting from cold/dark on the first flight after loading the sim/ATR works fine…

After the first flight in a multi-leg series of flights - Only way to keep the CHG on/connected to the bus is to have a DC Gen online (such as keeping #2 in hotel mode). When you apply ground power and shut down engines (taking DC Gens offline), within a few seconds the CHG goes from green to white and the battery will drain fast. Thus you are unable to use ground power to restart engines after a turn-around.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxHqDWTMqaw8Xo9cvMFpBvthDaDO6HH9KQ

2 Likes

Yes, battery isn’t charching. So there is no Power for starting the engine in Hotel mode after a while using the GPU

Yes, low voltage for battery making it impossible to start engines after a certain time when only on battery and GPU on the ground. Changing the state on the tablet doesn’t work either at that point, either.

My workaround for now is immediately get the aircraft in hotel model when loading in C&D. Not realistic, but avoids this issue for now.

1 Like

This is the exact same issue I am having. I set up the plane from cold & dark and after setting up the FMC all the sudden the ATC is gone and there is not enough power to start the engines. The EFB state buttons also don´t work at that point. All other planes in the sim are bugged because of this and I have to restart MSFS every time this happens. I cannot load another plane after this bug hits the sim. The last time I tried to fly the ATR 72-600 it happened three times in a row. Now I quit flying this plane. It is just ridiculous as all other planes do work and do not have such a serious bug. Btw, I need to add that this bug existed before the update to 1.0.8 and that the bug is still there after the update to 1.0.8.

Today I have not been able to make any flight because the battery discharges and I do not understand why

1 Like