Aussie Group Flights Team - Alaska Grizzly Encounter

Join us as we fly around Alaska and encounter Grizzly Bear along the route. We will take off from Nelson Lagoon (PAOU) and make our way to Cape Sarichef (PACS), performing some touch and goes at airports along the way.

This flight is suited to your bush cub, where you can set down anywhere along the route if required.

Details to follow. Hope you can join us.

Regards, Paul

3 Likes

hey, I will join

I couldn’t bear to miss it!

The puns are going to be un-Bear-able!

No need to get Grizzly about it.

ATTENTION Aussie Flight Group Participants …

Group Flight: 2021-05-14T10:00:00Z

PLEASE DO NOT SPAWN ON THE RUNWAY. ENSURE YOU SELECT THE STARTING POSITION ON THE RAMP.
Route: PAOU(Nelson Lagoon) - PASD(Sand Point) - GB2(First Grizzly Encounter) - PACD(Cold Bay) - PAVC(King Cove) - UP1(Nav Point) - UP2(Nav Point) - UP3(Nav Point) - UP4(Nav Point) - GB1(Second Grizzly Encounter) - UP5(Nav Point) - PACS(Cape Sarichef).

Take off from Nelson Lagoon(PAOU)
Track 138 deg to Sand Point(PASD) 47nm
Touch and Go at Sand Point(PASD)
Track 269 deg to our first Grizzly Bear encounter 61nm
Full Stop landing to get a close look at the Bears
Take off from GB2
Track 205 deg to Cold Bay(PACD) 25nm
Touch and Go at Cold Bay(PACD)
Track 095 deg to King Cove(PAVC) 16.5nm
Full Stop Landing at King Cove(PAVC)
Track 221 deg to UP1 13.5nm
Track 282 deg to UP2 23nm
Track 177 deg to UP3 9.4nm
Track 193 deg to UP4 15nm
Track 330 deg to our second Grizzly Bear encounter 13.9nm
Full Stop landing to get a close look at the Bears
Take off from GB1
Track 199 deg to UP5 20nm
Track 246 deg to Cape Sarichef(PACS) 37nm
Full Stop Landing at Cape Sarichef(PACS)

Altitude: The route can be flown up to 2,500’ mostly to be clear of terrain.

Airport details:

Nelson Lagoon(PAOU)
Elev: 12’
RW 08/26 Asphalt

Sand Point(PASD)
Elev: 21’
RW 14/32 Asphalt

Cold Bay(PACD)
Elev: 89’
RW 15/33 Asphalt
RW 08/26 Asphalt

King Cove(PAVC)
Elev: 145’
RW 08/26 Asphalt

Cape Sarichef(PACS)
Elev: 291’
RW 16/34 Asphalt

Aircraft: Suggest the Got Gravel Cub for the event. This is a free aircraft. It’s powerful, can perform short landings and suits a range of terrain - available for free at : Savage Carbon - STOL Realism Mod • Flight Simulator 2020 .

To assist in locating the Grizzly Bear packs, I suggest turning on Fauna Markers in the sim.

To turn on Fauna Markers, proceed as follows:

From the Main Menu, select Options
Select Assistance
Expand Navigation Aids to show the current status
Turn ON Fauna Markers
Apply and Save, to keep the changes

IMPORTANT: In the interest of keeping it REAL, please refrain from selecting inappropriate aircraft, like airliners. This only detracts from the immersion of the flight.

Seeing Aircraft Correctly: You need to do two things to ensure you can see the other pilots in the event and see them in the aircraft they selected.

Select the same server: To do this, proceed as follows:

From the Welcome Screen, click on your Username (top right)
From the list of servers, under Servers, select WEST USA

Turn off Generic Planes: To do this, proceed as follows:

From the Welcome Screen, click on OPTIONS
Click on GENERAL
With TRAFFIC selected, scroll down to the last option and set USE GENERIC PLANE MODELS to OFF

Turning off Crash/Damage:

Select Options/General/Flight Model
Select Legacy Model, so you can adjust the settings below
Move Crash Realism to 0
Select Modern Model, to reselect the appropriate flight model
Accept the settings

Next:

Select Options/Assistance
Expand Failure & Damage
Disable Crash Damage
Accept the changes

Voice Room: Discord for Official MSFS Community: Event #1 or Event #2 are the voice rooms available to us. I need to see which is available on the day and reserve it. I will be in the room and get it authorised for our use. Just look for my Userid: VHFIB to determine which room to enter. Until the room is open only one person can be in the room. In the past we have needed to use a PTT (push to talk) button. This is no longer required, so you can use voice activated comms. Some people prefer to use their phone or ipad etc for Discord comms.

Note: if you are new to the Discord Server for MSFS, you will need to “react” to get access to the voice rooms.

To “react”, once in the Discord for Official MSFS, click on the Important - Info option and at the very bottom, click on the button (last item at the bottom of the screen) to react and provide access. Note: clicking on the button accepts the conditions etc., which you can read via the available links.

Link to join the Voice Room: https://discord.gg/dUj2CEbT
Note: this link is only valid for 7 days from posting.

Weather/Time: We will set the time to 8am. This will allow us to fly in daylight and choose CLEAR Weather, so can enjoy the scenery:

From the World Map view, click on Flight Conditions (upper right of screen)
Click on All Players, Live Traffic, Custom
Under Weather and Time, select Clear Weather and move the time slide bar to show 8:00am. 
Click Close and Fly from the World Map view.

We can start departing from 10:00z. There will be no need for official radio calls. Lets just have some fun taking in the scenery and the social aspects of the event.

Turning on Name Tags (This will assist you in following the group if you get disoriented):

Select Options/GeneralTraffic
Set Show Traffic Nameplates to On
Accept the settings

Still confused, check out the multiplayer video tutorial from SimHangar Flight Simulation: MSFS | MULTIPLAYER | How To Guide | Everything You Need To Know | Fly in events coming soon. - YouTube

Let me know if there’s anything else that I’ve missed that you need to know.,

Regards, Paul

1 Like

Flight Plans for the event …

Little NavMap: IFR Nelson Lagoon (PAOU) to Cape Sarichef (PACS).lnmpln (2.8 KB)
MSFS: IFR Nelson Lagoon (PAOU) to Cape Sarichef (PACS).pln (3.7 KB)

1 Like

Print this Flight Card out for your easy reference during the flight …

Hi Paul, Flight card pdf not showing, Frank

Hi Frank,

I’ve asked the Moderators to upload the PDF for me, as it isn’t a supported file type. I expect they will add it to my post when convenient.

Regards, Paul

Event Reminder …

Hi.

Does anyone know why I do not have permission to speak on this discord server. Not a problem on other discord server.

Regards, Kenneth

If you can join the voice room, you should be able to speak like everybody else. Note: you need to follow a process before you can join the voice room. My instructions cover the details.

My mistake. Had not accept the rules of the server.
Thank for the flight to day. Looking forward to cj4 flight next Friday.
Bg Kenneth

I tried to get on your discord but it would not add it.

Did you use the link in the current event? It expires each week. Did you follow the instructions for accepting the terms and conditions? If not, you don’t see the voice rooms. We had 33 pilots at one stage (not counting those that didn’t connect to Discord and just flew with us). There is provision for up to 99 pilots so no reason you couldn’t join the server. Next week, try again before the event. Just to ensure you can get into the voice room. Try entering either Event1 or Event2 voice rooms. Note, only one person is permitted into the rooms unless a moderator has opened up the room for an event. If you can get in, you should be fine. Remember to use the new link to the Discord server, as it expires each week.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I used the link but it said invalid link

Too bad I cannot join the live (too early in Thailand time) but using the flight plan to fly alone. Was fun taxing with the Bears. Service at PACS was surprisingly good, Aircraft Marshalling at the parking

1 Like