Aussie Group Flights Team - Rocky Mountains of Colorado USA Tour

This will be the first of a series of flights in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. Your flight leader will be HockeyGuy51, who suggested and put the flights together for us.

The first flight sees us taking off from KFTG and landing at KEGE.

This will be Part One of a three-part series introducing challenging and educational flights in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado USA to be conducted over the next 6 months. Completion of all three parts (honor system) will earn you a mountain flying endorsement including a special endorsement for Leadville Airport (Part Two), which is the highest GA airport in North American.

pic

Details of the flight will follow shortly.

Regards, Paul

5 Likes

ATTENTION Aussie Flight Group Participants …

Group Flight: Group Flight: 2020-10-02T10:00:00Z

Departure: Front Range KFTG/ (Colorado Air and Space Port KCFO) GA Ramp.
Arrival: Eagle County Regional (KEGE)

This will be Part One of a three-part series introducing challenging and educational flights in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado USA to be conducted over the next 6 months. Completion of all three parts (honor system) will earn you a mountain flying endorsement including special endorsements for Leadville Airport (Part Two) which is the highest GA airport in North American and Telluride Airport which is the highest Commercial airport in North America.

Colorado has 53 of the 67 fourteeners ((14,000 + feet MSL) in the lower 48 states. Second in North America is Alaska with 29.

PLEASE DO NOT SPAWN ON THE RUNWAY. ENSURE YOU SELECT THE STARTING POSITION ON THE RAMP.

Route:

Charts will be provided to assist locating VFR waypoints and recognizing surrounding features.

Take off from Front Range/Colorado Air and Space Port Airport (KFTG/FCFO)
Track 253 deg to Denver (2.2 nm)
Track 251 deg to Foot Hills (9.2 nm)
Track 281 deg to Idaho Springs (14.3 nm)
Track 278 deg to I-70/US 40 (6.7 nm)
Track 203 deg to George Town (3.8 nm)
Track 253 deg to Eisenhower Tunnel East Portal (9.5 nm, 11,337’ MSL min)
Track 261 deg to Eisenhower Tunnel West Portal (1.5 nm, 11,830’ MSL min)
Track 233 deg to Lake Dillon (6.5 nm)
Track 203 deg to Copper Mountain (8.8 nm)
Track 295 deg to Vail Pass (3.2 nm, 10,837’ MSL min)
Track 302 deg to Vail (10.4 nm)
Track 278 deg to VFR Approach to Eagle County Reginal Runways 07/25 (15.2 nm) OR -
    Track 269 deg to Waypoint HAMOS for LDR/RNAV Approach to Runway 25 (14.7 nm, 7,551’ MSL min)
Land at Eagle County Regional Airport (KEGE)

Altitude: The route can be flown at 14,500’ but you can vary the altitude to suite the terrain.

Airport details:

Front Range/Colorado Air and Space Port (KFTG/KCFO)

Elevation: 5515’ MSL
RWYS: 07/26

RWYS: 17/35

Eagle County Regional (KEGE)

Elevation: 6547’ MSL
RWYS: 07/25

Aircraft: As the route is around 13,500’ in altitude at a couple of places the following is a guide for maximum flight altitude (See Graphic of Flight Plan):

Any aircraft capable of obtaining an altitude of 13,500’ for short periods of time and a VS of 500 fps, preferably 1000 fps if you want to explore the area as the route does not allow you to turn around at low altitudes.

Seeing Aircraft Correctly: You need to do two things to ensure you can see the other pilots in the event and see them in the aircraft they selected.

Select the same server: To do this, proceed as follows:

From the Welcome Screen, click on your Username (top right)
From the list of servers, under Servers, select WEST USA

Turn off Generic Planes: To do this, proceed as follows:

From the Welcome Screen, click on OPTIONS
Click on GENERAL
With GRAPHICS selected, scroll down to the last option and set USE GENERIC PLANE MODELS to OFF

Voice Room: Discord for Official MSFS Community: Event #1 or Event #2 are the voice rooms available to us. I need to see which is available on the day and reserve it. I will be in the room and get it authorized for our use. Just look for my USERID: VHFIB to determine which room to enter.

Note: if you are new to the Discord Server for MS FS, you will need to “react” to get access to the voice rooms.

To “react”, once in the Discord for Official MS FS , click on the Important - Info option and at the very bottom, click on the button (last item at the bottom of the screen) to react and provide access. Note: clicking on the button accepts the conditions etc., which you can read via the available links.

Weather/Time: We will set the time 12hrs prior, i.e., 8 am. This will allow us to fly in daylight and choose Clear Weather, so you will not get icing during the flight:

From the World Map view, click on Flight Conditions (upper right of screen)
Click on All Players, Live Traffic, Custom
Under Weather and Time, select Clear Weather and move the time slide bar to show 8:00am or say 7:45am if you arrive at 7:45pm (12hrs prior to current time).
Click Close and Fly from the World Map view.

We can start departing from 8pm. There will be no need for official radio calls. Let’s just have some fun taking in the scenery and the social aspects of the event.

Multiplayer Map: Currently, the VFR map won’t show Live players, so if you get lost, it’s difficult to find where the other flyers are. The free multiplayer map will show the other players (that are using the map) and allow you to see their heading, speed, altitude and callsign. But it will only show those using the map. The below map tool is excellent but only as good as the volume of people using it.

Not mandatory but if you would like to use this map, see the below for details:

Link to moving map: https://events.flighttracker.tech/ 12 7

Once viewing the map, click on Join to download the client that connects MSFS for tracking your flights. Note the .NET Core Windows Runtime requirement that needs installing also.

Let me know if there is anything else that I’ve missed that you need to know.

Regards, Paul

1 Like

Some teaser shots …

I’d like to thank HockeyGuy51 (Randy) for pulling this event together. Randy will also be hosting the event and our guide to the virtual skies above Colarado.

Look forward to seeing you all next Friday night (Sydney time).

Regards, Paul

Will we get a .pln for this?

It’s coming today.

Coolio :+1:t2:

Two flight plans on offer:

1. VFR
  2. LDR/LOC approach to KEGE RWY 25.

They are both the same until KEGE.

VFR Front Range (KFTG) to Eagle Co Regl (KEGE).pln (3.9 KB)

LDA Runway 25 Front Range (KFTG) to Eagle Co Regl (KEGE).pln (4.3 KB)

1 Like

Hi @CinnamonInk8010, apologies if I missed this somewhere but how long is the event supposed to take? And could I join a few hours into it? Thanks

I don’t know what pace we will cover the area as Randy our guide is giving us a tour of the area. I just flew the route under 45mins in the Baron as a guide. This is the first of Randy’s events, so not sure how it will proceed at this point.

1 Like

Some more teaser shots …

Thanks Paul for the opportunity to showcase the Southern Rockies. The first flight will take approximately one hour and will focus on an introduction to mountain flying. Especially mixture, altitude, and situational awareness. Only two airports are involved , but participants are free to explore the surrounding area along the route. Participants can fly at any altitude within their comfort level, but will have to cross over two mountains at around twelve to fourteen thousand feet. I will also share some Colorado facts and history.

Randy

2 Likes

How do I participate in this Aussie Flight Group ?
Sounds like a great event!

G’day and welcome to Aussie Group Flights. All you need to know is contained in the above instructions. Just read through it and it will instruct you step by step on how to join the flights.

Look forward to seeing you in the virtual skies.

Regards, Paul

Thanks Paul! See you in the air!

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

I hope to join this virtual flight. I have seen previous flights but have not been able to join.

Thank you Paul for organising this and previous flights.

I’ll see you all Friday.

Danny

1 Like

I look forward to flying in places beyond our Great Southern Land! See you tomorrow night

1 Like

Still debating if I want to get up at 5:00 AM on a Friday, and try to get this in before work, but I’m hoping to be there with my new Mooney M20R. I have tried the route, and it can be done in under an hour. It is pretty easy to follow the same valley as the freeway (In case anyone gets lost).

1 Like

This looks fantastic and it’s at lunch time for us in Belgium so even better. However I’m still learning to fly would this be an issue? I will see if I can get some flight time in the baron today to get up to speed.

1 Like

I’m heading off to Hobart Friday morning for 2 nights so unfortunately going to miss this one.

Looks like it’s going to be a great flight.

Have fun guys.

1 Like