'Auto-exposure' effect when using the cockpit camera needs to go

This shows the issue nicely. It is noticeable in 2D, but in VR it’s more pronounced.

I’m not agree. Auto Exposure looks much better, than flat color

3 Likes

So we should have the option then. Or are you saying everyone should do everything your way?

1 Like

Option is good idea.

i think its pretty good as it is right now, but an option is always ok for people who dont want realism.
i see a lack of real life experience in this thread from the people that complain.

Totally agree! It would be awesome if it could be disabled. I hope they make that a menu option in the graphics settings as I really hate the effect.

Like everything it should be a choice (menu on/off) as I know many MSFS gamers like the bright oversaturation effect.

There is no realism in my video above… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This is no bug but designed as meant to be, in 2d you can use xbox controller and translate left, right, up and down.
To make it less White try to use something like nvidia freestyle or pitch trim your plane into different angle.
It is easy to shout its a bug.
I fly GA with track ir and often i also use xbox controller and keyboard.
Maybe turn of eyeadaption off by changing it from 1 to 0 in the usercfg.opt

1 Like

I’m flying in VR so none of this is available.
eyeadaptation is already on 0.

It’s logged anyway, let’s see what they’ll do about it.
I’m not saying they should remove it, but some brightness, saturation, exposure settings would be great.

The same issue in another game:

Looks like this is something they don’t master yet. Like bloom when it first landed in video games :joy:

2 Likes

@Flobud Have you tried looking thru the glareshield in vr, it would be nice if we could lower them, i would prefer this over sliders coz sliders will take away immersion to put it in other words im affraid it will kill immersion and glareshield you can use when necessery and bring em up when not while with sliders you will have to go back to ui and that would be a miss

1 Like

I agree; I think that it is overdone - especially with backlit displays. These types of displays are very brightly backlit, so there is not as much contrast between the bright outside and the display brightness. Yet, the effect dims the displays as much as it does the rest of the panel. They seem to treat the displays as if they are cheap laptop screens; hard to see in bright conditions.

1 Like

Here’s a good read to better understand the point of the tech we have now, with dynamic exposure and higher dynamic range than what older sims had:

(Being implemented in X Plane 12)

I think the metering/adaptation should be tuned, especially after seeing the premature exposure-increase in the video posted by Flobud, but in no way should we abandon this tech, since that would be a step back to the cartoony look of having both inside and outside “properly exposed”.

Xplane seems to be “adopting” a lot of things from MSFS.

Totally agree, looks ridiculous I hate it.

However as always this should be made an on-off menu item to keep both sides happy.

Other games have settings like HDR etc. that you can turn on and off.

1 Like

The better answer would be a slider. Because I wouldn’t mind having this kind of visual effect but it’s like 10000x too strong right now :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I love this feature and to my eye brain it looks correct and it adds to the immersion.

I think the problem is that our eyes acclimate like this almost automatically with very small eye movements and is virtually undetectable. In Trackir and mousing, I have to pan and zoom with purpose and be deliberate about making the right light setting happen. So this game has taken an involuntary automatic reaction and turned it into a physical control that takes an effort… and that’s why the brain something something and yes I agree an on off button would please everyone except for the folks that don’t like either setting or for the folks that like the way DCS does it and then there will be other folks that still can’t fly anyway.

Also hate it. The effect is way too strong and ruins the outside view when looking slighlty down to bring the top part of the instruments into view.

3 Likes

I like it as it is.

I do not understand at all how anyone can like a half blank screen!
My eyes are crying because of how horrible it is.

3 Likes

I like this feature a lot, and would hate to see it reduced or removed. So if anything is changed here, it should become an option, or a slider, to accomodate everyone’s preferences.

It is not a “bug” as it’s working as intended, and certainly doesn’t “need to go”.